Rogers' Manager: 'Overeem Is Afraid'
Following Brett Rogers' impressive 22-second knockout of Andrei Arlovski on the June 6 Strikeforce event, many suspected that he would be next in line to fight for the organization's heavyweight title. However, Rogers' trainer/manager, Mike Reilly, told FanHouse Monday that he isn't surprised that Rogers isn't getting the first crack at champion Alistair Overeem.
"I don't think Overeem was ever planning on fighting Brett," Reilly said. "I think Overeem is afraid of Brett. He's afraid of a big striker who is going to knock him out. ... I don't think anyone is going to admit that, but I'm not going to shy away from it. He's had two opportunities to fight Brett but he hasn't taken either of him."
DREAM Super Hulk Semifinals At DREAM 12, Not 11
That according to tournament participant Gegard Mousasi, who says the semifinals will now happen at the unannounced DREAM 12 in October. The original plan was to hold them at DREAM 11 on September 23 along with the Welterweight GP Semifinals and Finals.
Frank Mir on Lesnar: ‘I don’t think he’s physically capable of going 5 rounds’
Frank Mir is a man who has had his past life taken from him by tragedy. He had to give up his belt and was faced with a long road back to his title.
From encountering everything from doctors who said he would never fight again, the tremendous amount of rehab he had to face and overcome, clawing his way back to the top of the UFC’s heavyweight division, to now facing a genetic freak who is at the last step to full redemption.
UFC still fighting for respect even in its home town
Event No. 100 is right around the corner for the UFC. It's a long way from the days of struggling to sell 4,000 tickets. The UFC is a lock from a live gate standpoint, events regularly draw between 12,000-16,000 around the country, yet the promotion has to be incredibly proactive to court coverage similar to the NFL, NBA, MLB and even NASCAR in those local markets. That irks UFC owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta along with president Dana White. Newspapers for the most part still turn the their noses up at mixed martial arts. That included the UFC's hometown newspaper, the Las Vegas Review-Journal, until recently when the paper named Adam Hill, the first full-time MMA newspaper beat reporter in the U.S. But that doesn't mean the Fertittas and White are curtailing the fight in Sin City. The UFC sort of lashes out at the local media for the lack of attention in a Sunday story in the LVRJ.
Wanderlei Silva on Franklin Loss, Griffin vs. Anderson and Fedor in the UFC
Wanderlei Silva is one of the greatest fighters in the history of mixed martial arts, but after falling to Rich Franklin at UFC 99, he's lost five of his last six fights. Does that mean his fighting career is just about over?
Silva doesn't think so. When I talked to him over the weekend, he sounded excited about returning to the Octagon late this year, and about his work as a trainer and as an ambassador for MMA. He also refuted reports that he had a hard time making the 195-pound limit for the Franklin fight, offered a prediction on the upcoming Forrest Griffin vs. Anderson Silva fight at UFC 101, and talked about whether his old friend from their days fighting in Japan, Fedor Emelianenko, will ever fight in the UFC. Silva's comments are below.
UFC 100 Preview: Dong Hyun "Stun Gun" Kim Aims to Help Zuffa Push Into Korea
Back in May of last year, Dong Hyun Kim made his UFC debut at UFC 84: Ill Will against British fighter Jason Tan. Unknown to most casual MMA fans at the time, Kim was actually making history under the South Korean flag in that he had become only the second Korean fighter to set foot into the Octagon since Joe Son at UFC 4. After three rounds of action that saw the "Stun Gun" tactically out-strike Tan and pick him apart, Kim ended the bout via a technical knockout in the third round to become the first Korean to win in the UFC. Most fans didn't see this match as it was on the undercard, but the nation of South Korea erupted overnight after the battle aired three times on Korean network Super Action.
Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum for Aug. 15th Strikeforce event
"Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg" received another significant addition of talent today, as Strikeforce officially added a heavyweight title fight between current champion Alistair Overeem (29-11) and challenger Fabricio Werdum (11-4-1).
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed the addition to the Aug. 15 card, which will take place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., with Strikeforce Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz.
Michael Bisping: "Dan Henderson Crossed the Line"
You know what, out of nowhere just recently it's got all personal. I'll be lying if I said it hasn't pissed me off. He's really, really annoyed me, he's really pissed me off. In a lot of interviews he's talked not about my fighting ability but about me as a person, and I think he's crossed a line and he's pissed me off.
I spoke to somebody from the UFC this morning and they told me they did an interview with him and in the space of two minutes he called me a moron and a douchebag twelve times, you know what I mean?
Rich Franklin vs. Chuck Liddell not happening at UFC 103; Franklin still a main-event option
September's UFC 103 card is in need of a main event, but the Dallas event won't feature a rumored (and heavily speculated) bout between Rich Franklin and recently retired former UFC light heavyweight Chuck Liddell.
That's the word from MMAjunkie.com's Dann Stupp, who gives an update on Franklin in today's "MMA Insider" column in the Dayton Daily News.
According to the report, UFC officials have contacted Franklin with a handful of potential opponents' names for the Sept. 19 card, but Liddell isn't one of them.
Takanori Gomi comes stateside to fight Rafaello Oliveira at "Affliction: Trilogy"
After negotiations with a variety of U.S.-based organizations, popular Japanese fighter Takanori Gomi (30-5) has signed with Affliction and will take on Rafaello Oliveira (8-1) at the organization's Aug. 1 "Trilogy" card.
Affliction recently added the bout to its pay-per-view main card.
The event, including the five-round headliner between Fedor Emelianenko and Josh Barnett, takes place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.
In addition to the five-fight pay-per-view main card, the event also features an HDNet-televised preliminary card with Paul Daley vs. Jay Hieron in the featured bout.
Gomi fights in the U.S. for the first time since his submission loss to Nick Diaz at PRIDE 33, an event that took place in Las Vegas. (The loss, though, was later ruled a no-contest when Diaz's drug test came back positive for marijuana.)
Gomi, once one of the world's top lightweights, is just 3-2 since that February 2007 no-contest with losses to Sergey Golyaev (split decision) and Satoru Kitaoka (submission), both in World Victory Road's Sengoku event series. Gomi most recently rebounded for a first-round TKO victory over Takashi Nakakura at a May Shooto event.
Wilson vs. Pyle Booked for UFN 19
A welterweight fight between Chris Wilson and Mike Pyle has been scheduled for UFC Fight Night 19 in Oklahoma City. Sources confirmed with FanHouse Sunday evening that the bout will be made official later this week.
UFC Fight Night 19 is scheduled for Sept. 16 at the Cox Convention Center. Gray Maynard will reportedly face Roger Huerta on the same card.
Frank Mir, Brock Lesnar Say They Don't Dislike Each Other
A few months ago, it seemed like we couldn't go a week without hearing Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir talk trash about each other. Mir compared Lesnar to Junie Browning, which from Mir's perspective is about as harsh as an insult can get. Lesnar called Mir's interim heavyweight championship a "make-believe belt."
But as their UFC 100 fight approaches, Lesnar and Mir are toning down the rhetoric.
"I don't dislike Frank in any way other than he's got a win over me," Lesnar said on a call to promote UFC 100. "This is a sport. I consider myself a gentleman, and sportsmanlike conduct takes precedence in this."
LAWLOR READY FOR MIDDLEWEIGHT MOVE AT UFC 100
A natural athlete, Tom Lawlor first made himself known to mixed martial arts fans around the world with his stint on Season 8 of The Ultimate Fighter. Part of Team Mir, Lawlor won his preliminary fight against Ryan Lopez via rear naked choke, allowing him to continue in the competition and make his way into one of the most controversial seasons of said show.
Though he would eventually lose in the quarterfinals to light heavyweight winner Ryan Bader, Lawlor left a lot to be remembered.
FABER HEALING, MAKING PUSH FOR WEC & NEW DEAL
In his rematch last month with Mike Brown, Urijah Faber once again ended up on the wrong end of the fight with American Top Team fighter. The two went five rounds with Faber losing a unanimous decision.
That doesn't sound so out of the ordinary, until you realize that Faber broke his right hand in the first round then injured his left in the third, yet he still managed to finish the fight.
COLE MILLER PLANS TO BUILD OFF ESCUDERO'S BACK
Cole Miller has had five fights in the UFC since stepping off of the cast of the fifth season of The Ultimate Fighter. His only misstep has been late second-round TKO loss to Jeremy Stephens, outside of that he has won all four of his other UFC bouts, including Andy Wang, Leonard Garcia, Jorge Gurgel, and, most recently, attention magnet Junie Browning.
ST. PIERRE NOT AFRAID OF ANYTHING ALVES OFFERS
For any fighter that is currently aspiring to hit the heights in the sport of MMA, the model to follow is undoubtedly current UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre, who has molded himself into the most complete fighter in the sport, while continuously evolving with each and every fight.
Coming off of possibly the biggest win of his career, a fourth round TKO over arch rival B.J. Penn, it was St. Pierre who opted for only a week off before heading right back into the gym to train, which he says he does because he loves it, not because he has to.