Mirko Cro Cop Still Coping with his Loss to Junior Dos Santos, Will Finish his UFC Contract
"I was very, very disturbed after the loss to Dos Santos. I was in such a state that I wished to hang myself in my hotel room so I would be gone. Three losses in my last seven fights is nothing but a disaster to me. That’s a terrible score and I’m not happy about it"
"I already know some things that I did wrong both in the fight and in the preparation for the fight, but there are many questions that remain to be answered. I am seriously thinking about hiring a psychiatrist to help me out. I have already made some calls about it."
King of the Cage champ Joker Guymon realizes UFC dream
King of the Cage welterweight titleholder Michael "The Joker" Guymon relinquished his belt and signed a four-fight deal with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. For the 35-year-old fighter it was a dream come true.
"It was just because the whole dream I had," Guymon told MMAWeekly.com. "I started out this sport looking at it on the couch in high school watching UFC 1. I wanted to be there, and now that I'm there it's like, wow. I can't believe it.
"It's been such a long, hard road."
Miguel Torres eyes January return, targets Brian Bowles with or without the belt
SAN ANTONIO – Former WEC bantamweight title holder Miguel Torres (37-2 MMA, 5-1 WEC) has come to terms with his shocking August loss to new champion Brian Bowles (8-0 MMA, 5-0 WEC).
And as Torres told the gathered crowd at a Q&A session following Friday's "WEC 43: Cerrone vs. Henderson" weigh-ins, getting his title back is now a primary focus.
That shot could come in a 2010 rematch with Bowles, but Torres said he wants to redeem himself against the HardCore Gym product whether his opponent is wearing a belt or not.
"I want a shot with Brian Bowles," Torres said. "I want to fight him again."
Jamie Varner on Donald Cerrone: "We can run it back and see who the real man is"
SAN ANTONIO – Being Jamie Varner (16-2 MMA, 4-0 WEC) just isn't easy.
After the WEC champ entered a post-WEC 43 weigh-ins Q&A session to a chorus of boos, one of the first questions asked was if he could explain the feeling of "living on his knees" rather than be willing to "die on his feet."
But as Varner later explained to the San Antonio crowd, dealing with haters is just a part of the business, and he's more than willing to deal with Donald Cerrone (10-1 MMA, 3-1 WEC), too.
"Fans are difficult," Varner said. "They love you when you're on top and knocking people out. But if there's any sort of downfall or controversy?
Grove vs. Rosholt, Others Added To UFC 106
Several previously rumored additions to the UFC 106 card are now official today. Kendall Grove vs. Jake Rosholt has been added to the prelims, while Karo Parisyan vs. Dustin Hazelett and Jon Fitch vs. Ricardo Almeida are now official for the PPV. This likely fills out the PPV card with Luis Cane vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira expected on PPV but not yet announced by UFC.
Dan Lauzon vs Cole Miller Agreed for UFC 108
"A lightweight match has been added to the UFC 108 undercard. Dan Lauzon makes his return to the Octagon to face American Top Team fighter Cole Miller.
The bout was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com on Friday by sources close to the fight. Both fighters have verbally agreed to the bout.
Lauzon (12-2) will compete on the UFC 108 card alongside his brother, Joe Lauzon, who will face Sam Stout. Dan, the younger of the two, last appeared in the UFC in 2006. At just 18 years of age, he lost to Spencer Fisher."
Mir picks Carwin, wants Lesnar rubber match
Frank Mir made it clear that he is set on breaking the 1-1 deadlock he has with UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar Friday during a Q and A session for fans after the WEC weigh-ins in San Antonio, Texas.
However, the former UFC heavyweight champion said he believed the pair wouldn’t be fighting for the belt should their third encounter happen in the near future. Mir told the crowd that he felt Shane Carwin would defeat Lesnar in their main event bout at UFC 106 on Nov. 21 in Las Vegas. Noting Carwin’s strength, Mir stated that he did not believe Lesnar would be able to bully Carwin the way he did to him at UFC 100 last July.
Browning suicide attempt "was not a cry for help"
Junie Browning’s coach Shawn Tompkins says his fighter’s attempted suicide last night was a serious effort and not a cry for help. Browning has lost his UFC contract and faces three charges of battery as a result of incidents at a Nevada hospital following his admission.
Tompkins (pictured) tells Fighters Only he was altered by Browning’s ex-girlfriend that all may not be well with the fighter, so he went over to check.
"His friend and I went over to his place and got him. He was supposed to take one pill a day [of his prescribed medicine], he had taken between 16 and 20. We put him in the truck and drove him to the hospital right away where I admitted him immediately," Tompkins said.
Ben Rothwell Living on the Edge of a Dream
"Had it not been for therapy, Ben Rothwell might never have found MMA.
He fought plenty outside the ring, lashing out at a suddenly uncertain world as a 17-year-old in Kenosha, Wis. In a short period, he had lost his grandmother on his mom’s side, his grandfather on his father’s side, and his best friend. His grades started to slip. His parents were going to kick him out of the house."
Arlovski's gonna do some traing at Team Jackson
Andrei Arlovski is set to visit Greg Jackson’s MMA Academy in Albuquerque, N.M., for a 10-day training camp in the coming weeks.
The former UFC heavyweight champion will be joined by his jiu-jitsu instructor Dino Costeas and will continue his primary training under the Team Pitbull moniker out of Chicago. However, the former sambo champion is hoping to pick up some new skills from Jackson, his staff and his formidable stable of athletes to rebound from back-to-back knockout losses.
Junie browning no longer with UFC
Junie Browning, who was a standout on “The Ultimate Fighter: Team Nogueira vs. Team Mir” more for his antics than his in-cage performance, was arrested Tuesday night in Henderson, Nev., after allegedly assaulting three nurses at St. Rose Dominican Hospital, according to a report by Lawrence Mower of the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
The report states that two friends took the 24-year-old Browning to the hospital after he overdosed on anti-anxiety pills. After being taken to a room at the hospital, he reportedly tried to leave and became angry, pushing a female nurse, punching a male nurse and kicking another male nurse.
Browning was charged with three counts of battery on a health care worker.
UFC president Dana White on Wednesday told Yahoo! Sports that, upon learning of the arrest, he terminated Browning’s UFC contract.
“He was given an amazing opportunity, but he has some serious issues that are beyond me and what I can do,” White told reporter Kevin Iole. “I’m there for guys and I realize nobody is perfect and guys are going to get into trouble. When that happens, I want to try to help and do something for them. But he needs more help than I can give him. I did what I could for him.”
Report: Toughill vs. Coenen Set As 11/7 SF "Reserve Fight"
Perhaps continuing a trend from the last event on TV, Strikeforce is reportedly finalizing Erin Toughill vs. Marloes Coenen in not only a fight for a possible shot at Women's Champion Cristiane Santos, but as a "reserve fight" for CBS. It's currently slated to be a prelim and may not air, but if a main card fight falls through before the show this one likely will be promoted to TV as a replacement.
UFC 103 drug tests come back clean
The six fighters, including headliners Vitor Belfort and Rich Franklin, who underwent drug testing last month at UFC 103 all passed their tests.
UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner confirmed the results with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and said a total of six competitors were tested.
As staff writer Steve Sievert detailed in a piece prior to the Sept. 19 event, the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, which oversees MMA regulation in the state, does not routinely drug test competitors and only did so at UFC 103 because UFC officials requested it.
Minotoro Nogueira Wants Rua Rematch
In a recent interview with the TATAME website, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira already knows who he wants after his UFC debut against Luis Cane at UFC 106-Mauricio Rua. They first fought in PRIDE in 2005 where Rua won by decision. “Shogun is a great fighter, a great champion, and he was in the best shape of his career. He has his merits, in the end of the fight I tried to get his back... It could be different, but that’s ok. I’d like to do this fight again”, Nogueira guarantees, revealing that he’ll become a father soon. “I’ll fight now for my daughter’s milk (laughs)”.
2 Fights Added To Sengoku 11
World Victory Road has announced 2 fights today for it's upcoming Sengoku 11 event on November 7. A Heavyweight fight between Jim York and Dave Herman and a big Lightweight fight between Eiji Mitsuoka and Kazunori Yokota with potential title implications have been added. The Mitsuoka-Yokota winner could face Sengoku LW Champion Mizuto Hirota on 12/31. One other bout hinted at but not confirmed is former Sengoku LW Champion Satoru Kitaoka vs. Jorge Masvidal.
Q&A with UFC president Dana White
Irrepressible UFC president Dana White paid a visit to Yahoo! Sports recently and sat down for a talk on a wide range of subjects, from his opinion on Kimbo Slice to whether he wants his children to become fighters to which WEC fight he most wants to see. Here’s a transcript of the conversation:
Dave Doyle: We heard your video blog was coming back.
Dana White: I’m the Brett Favre of video blogging. I don’t know who’s retired and come back more times, me or him.
I live a pretty crazy lifestyle. You tuned into my video blogs and there’s jets and there’s cars and I’m making big-money bets with guys and [expletive] around with my friends and having fun.
Everyone loved the video blogs, but some people started writing letters like, “I’m about to lose my home.” I got letters like “Me and my daughters are going out on the street, and you’re betting more money on who can last on a treadmill for five minutes than I’ll make in two months.” It’s kind of like, “Whoa,” like a slap to me and slaps me back to reality, that people are hurting out there. It really messed me up for awhile. Three years ago, my video blogs would have been fun because everyone was making money and everything was great, the unemployment rate was down.
More From Dave DoyleRankings: Reinstatement for McCarthy? Sep 24, 2009 ADVERTISEMENT
DD: So why did you bring it back?
DW: Everyone has been messaging me, everyone wants me to bring the video blogs back, from fans to [UFC co-owner] Lorenzo [Fertitta], these things pull a quarter-million hits just on YouTube. My video blog rates higher than most television shows do.
I’m just going to be more conscious of what goes up there. I’m not trying to run around and flaunt my life, “Oh, look at this and look at that,” I just want it to be fun.
The reality is, behind the scenes (footage) isn’t all that exciting. I’m not going around 24 hours a day shooting craps on the corner with guys. I’m sitting in my car going to the next [expletive] interview. How much of that can you watch?
There were times when you’d look on my blogs and there would be comments, “Hey douchebag, put the fighters on here instead of you.” At the end of the day, I’m a fight promoter. My job is to go out, make it interesting and entertaining for the people, do anything I can to promote the fight. People got into the blog and there was this awareness that I was going out and doing all the stuff for the fight on Saturday. But for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, it’s not like all [expletive] excitement and I’m doing [expletive] that you want to watch on YouTube.
Matt Serra's Road Back to UFC Welterweight Title Begins in February
If you're wondering why Matt Serra hasn't been booked to fight since his UFC 98 clash against rival Matt Hughes in May, it's not because he's been injured or taking the loss too hard. No, Serra has simply been busy working on his new 83,000 square foot MMA gym that will be opening soon.
"It's going to be a beautiful martial arts facility," Serra told FanHouse on Thursday. "It's going to be the best one on Long Island, that's for sure."