White confirms UFC 100 to Las Vegas, St. Pierre vs. Alves likely
As first reported by Yahoo! Sports in January, UFC President Dana White has confirmed that UFC 100 will take place in July in Las Vegas.
White confirmed the location of the historic event during a recent interview with Canadian radio network CKAC Sports 730-AM.
White also indicated UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre (18-2 MMA, 12-2 UFC) will be defending his title at the event.
Evangelista and Cristiane Santos eyeing April 11 Strikeforce card
While Fiveouncesofpain.com recently reported Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (6-1) was forced to withdraw from XMMA 7 in Montreal due to injury, a new report from Tatame.com suggests she may be ready to return to action in time for Strikeforce's April 11 event in San Jose.
And husband Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos (16-12) may be on the card, too.
"I believe I will fight on April 11," Evangelista said. "They came into contact with me and said I could fight."
Couture's future still unclear, is it Big Nog, Cro Cop or Fedor?
Randy Couture was back in the gym this week as he attempts to comeback from elbow surgery and prep for what looks like a fight sometime during the summer. Couture was offered a match against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira sometime in the spring but "The Natural" elected to have bone spurs cleaned out of his elbow.
The logical spot is UFC 99 in Germany. Couture spent time in Germany and minored in German in college. To have a German speaking superstar fighting on the card would be huge for the promotion but now it's a matter of timing. Couture is set to leave in March for a seven week stint with his role in Sly Stallone's movie "The Expendables". That may take him into the middle of May making a June fight very difficult. A six or eight week training camp is impossible at that point.
Miletich Talks WAMMA, Sports Agents, UFC Gyms
Pat Miletich is a legend in the sport of MMA. If the UFC Hall of Fame were a credible one Miletich would surely be mentioned there for his achievements as both a fighter and trainer (just as an aside, any hall that omits Frank Shamrock, Tito Ortiz, and the aforementioned Miletich is going to have problems being taken seriously). Pat recently sat down with SportsAgentBlog to talk about his role with WAMMA as well as a host of other issues, some business related:
Marquardt hones his game with age
Three days before his 20th birthday, Nate Marquardt made his professional debut as a professional mixed martial arts fighter, competing on World Vale Tudo card in Durango, Colo.
Only four years before that night, he was a scrawny, 100-pound 15-year-old whose dreams of professional greatness seemed merely fantasy.
It was a naïve and optimistic teen who submitted Mike Lee on that card in Durango on April 17, 1999, beginning a career in which he’d go on to become one of the icons of his sport. He was naturally gifted, but he didn’t know how much he didn’t know regarding the sport he was about to make his life’s work.
Nearly a decade later, it’s a wiser, stronger and, yes, older Nate Marquardt who will step into the cage at UFC 95 at the O2 Arena in London on Feb. 21 to face Wilson Gouveia.
Matt Arroyo added to list of UFC roster trimmings
Despite his status as a talented welterweight prospect, potential alone was not enough to keep Matt Arroyo employed by the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
FiveOuncesOfPain.com has confirmed that the Rob Kahn-trained fighter was released from the promotion soon after his split decision loss to Dan Cramer during last month’s UFC 94 event. The bout served as Cramer’s professional debut.
War Machine vs Guillaume de Lorenzi at XMMA on Feb. 27 with Phil Baroni out
XMMA: “Inferno,” which is scheduled for the CEPSUM Amphitheater in Montreal, Canada, on Feb. 27 will have a new main event because Phil Baroni (13-10) had to withdraw from a welterweight showdown against undefeated prospect Guillaume de Lorenzi (5-0).
Filling in for the “New York Bad Ass” will be The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) season six alum War Machine (6-2), formerly known as Jon Koppenhaver. War Machine has been in the headlines quite a few times over the past few months … and not necessarily for good reasons.
Demian Maia is not better than Anderson Silva …
… but he thinks he can still beat him:
“I think my jiu jitsu would give me a very big advantage [against Anderson Silva}. Jiu jitsu is very effective in MMA and vale tudo. I have superior jiu jitsu and I think I would bring that to the fight. But Anderson is, to me, the best fighter in the world. He’s very well rounded, very complete, very hard to beat. He has more experience than I have. But I know I would like to challenge him. I can’t wait….
UFC 95: No Weighty Concerns For Neil Grove
Neil Grove is wearing a fresh coat of eye shadow, courtesy of a light heavyweight at Xtreme Couture who plastered him during sparring last week. It was his first trip to the conveyor belt of Las Vegas talent, his visible memento of learning.
The 7-1 heavyweight is scheduled to make his UFC debut against Mike Ciesnolevicz at UFC 95. Grove’s original opponent, Justin McCully, was forced from the bout by a cut injury.
UFC 100 Lands In Vegas: GSP Likely Headliner
Ever since his defeat of B.J. Penn at UFC 94 at the end of January, Georges St. Pierre and his camp has been mired in a quagmire of debate over his cornermen's use of Vaseline in between rounds.
Now, he will likely have more to talk about than petroleum jelly.
UFC president Dana White was the guest on a recent Montreal-based radio show on CKAC Sports 730AM to discuss his promotion's own controversial issues regarding the Quebec Athletic Commission's new interpretation of its own rules putting UFC 97 in jeopardy. While on the show, the juggernaught kingpin revealed his part of his plan for his promotion as it hits the century mark in numbered events.
"I'm pretty confident that UFC 100 will have Georges St. Pierre on the card," he told the host of the program on CKAC. "UFC 100 will more than likely have Georges St. Pierre defending his welterweight title."
Josh Koscheck Ready To Take On All Comers
Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight Josh Koscheck fought four times in 2008, racking up three wins over Dustin Hazelett, Chris Lytle and Yoshiyuki Yoshida, only losing to 170-pound top contender Thiago Alves by unanimous decision.
The Ultimate Fighter season one participant and collegiate wrestling standout intends to compete five times in 2009, and the American Kickboxing Academy trained fighter doesn't care who those future opponents are.
Trigg edges Babcock, Martin upset by Cummings at XCF
Frank Trigg def. Danny Babcock via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
Zak Cummings def. Terry Martin via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
Jesse Taylor def. Gert Kocani via submission (rear-naked choke) -- Round 2, 4:45
Marcus Jones def. John Juarez via TKO (punches) -- Round 1, 1:39
T.J. Cook def. Scott Harper via KO (punch) -- Round 1, 1:37
Todd Cutler def. Jeremy May via TKO (punches) -- Round 1, 4:07
Gilbert Burgos def. Chris Thorne via TKO (doctor's stoppage) -- Round 1, 1:17
Ryan Keenan def. Blake Bowman via TKO (strikes) -- Round 1, 4:29
John Alessio in talks to fight Shinya Aoki during DREAM welterweight Grand Prix
Rumors have been sweeping the Internet in recent days pointing to a welterweight affiliated with the Xtreme Couture camp in Las Vegas as being involved in negotiations to fight WAMMA lightweight champion Shinya Aoki during the first round of DREAM’s upcoming welterweight tournament.
FiveOuncesOfPain.com has confirmed through its sources that the fighter in question is former WEC and UFC veteran John Alessio. However, a source cautioned that a deal to bring Alessio into the tournament fold has not been finalized and his chances of signing and fighting Aoki were appraised as being “50/50.”
Dana White headed to Quebec next week to save UFC 97 show
According to a new post at Corus Sports, there will reportedly be a meeting next week between the RACJ (which oversees the Quebec Boxing Commission) and UFC President Dana White in regards to what rules UFC would have to abide under for the April 19th event in Montreal at the Bell Centre. The report claims that this meeting will either make or break the event from taking place.
First BFC Tournament draw complete!
Many believe the formation of the British Fighting Championship is the biggest step forward in British MMA to date, and the draw for the first tournament is done! Be part of what promises to be a phenomenal and check out some of these truly amazing fights.
The BFC tournaments feature 7 weight classes, the lower five weight classes, 135-185lb showcasing 16 fighters, the light-heavyweight featuring 12 and heavyweight holding 8 fighters.
Mousasi plans move to HW Division
Gegard Mousasi strolls into the Artemis Hotel in Amsterdam, Netherlands, sporting a simple blue zip-up jacket, a matching baseball cap and two black eyes.
You would think that the Dream middleweight champion would have an entourage surrounding him like most champions do these days, but the lanky 6-foot-1 fighter is alone.
Fabricio Werdum: UFC heavyweight division is ‘weak’ besides Nogueira
“I would fight with anyone, but if I could choose, I would like to make a rematch with Arlovski. That fight wasn’t cool, it was a debut against an ex-champion. Some people said that I won, others that he won or tied, but I want a rematch with him and then fight with Fedor, which is the will of everyone, he is the best in the world. This thing of saying that (Brock) Lesnar is the best in the world doesn’t exist, I’m against that. The guy has four fights and is already the world champion? Everybody knows that Fedor is the best. In heavy, I think the best are in Affliction. Apart from Minotauro, the rest in the UFC are weak. The UFC has what he wanted, two Americans to fight the “final”. The marketing is the most important thing, they are good at it. Frank Mir also, this final among them doesn’t exist.”
Former Pride FC and UFC veteran Fabricio Werdum shares his thoughts on the talent level in the current UFC heavyweight division, calling it “weak” with the exception of Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira. Werdum competed three times inside the Octagon before getting cut, losing to Andrei Arlovski, defeating Gabriel Gonzaga (again) and getting floored by Junior “Cigano” Dos Santos. The Brazilian is particularly not impressed with the two champions atop the division, Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir, which is “what the UFC wanted” for marketing purposes.