UFC vets Ken Shamrock and Tank Abbott in negotiations for April fight
Feb. 13 WarGods and Ken Shamrock Productions event at the Fresno Arena in Fresno, Calif., features Frank Shamrock in the main event and fellow UFC trailblazer David "Tank" Abbott in the co-headline bout.
After the "The Valentine"s Eve Massacre" show, a Shamrock vs. Abbott fight could take place in April.
According to an official announcement from KSP, the Shamrock-Abbott fight is in the "final stages of negotiations."
It's tentatively planned for late April in Reno, Nev.
"There are a lot of fans that have followed this for years, die-hard fans, who want to see this and reminisce a little bit," stated Shamrock, who turns 45 next month.
First up, though, Shamrock (26-13-2) meets Ross Clifton (6-8), a super-heavyweight who's 1-5 in his past six fights. All six of Clifton's victories have ended in the first round -- three in less than a minute.
Abbott (9-14), meanwhile, returns to action for the first time since his February 2008 loss to Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson. Abbott, who debuted at UFC 6 and fought for the heavyweight title at UFC 15, has lost eight of his past nine fights (all in the first round). He now takes on Mike Bourke (8-11-1), a King of the Cage veteran who's 1-7 (with one no-contest) in his past nine fights.
Fedor Unsurprised By Nogueiras' Loss
Fedor Emelianeno said he was unsurprised by Antonio ‘Minotauro’ Nogueira’s recent knockout loss to Frank Mir.
The Russian has faced Nogueira and beaten him twice (with one no contest) and although he did not stop him, he says it was a certainty that somebody eventually would.
"It did not surprise me. Antonio had already been punished enough over the years, had many struggles and sooner or later that will catch up with you,”
Bellator Fighting Championships announces signing of Wilson Reis
Bellator Fighting Championships, a first of its kind Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) promotion, officially announced today the exclusive signing of elite grappler Wilson Reis. Reis will enter the inaugural season as a member of the Featherweight (145 lb.) division of Bellator’s tournament style events, premiering on ESPN Deportes April 4, 2009.
Jon Fitch focused on UFC 94 fight against Akihiro Gono … not television line up
“[Akihiro Gono] is a very seasoned veteran man. He’s a slick fighter and he knows his way around a fight. He’s been fighting for like 15 years I think. So that is ridiculous. He has had a ton of fights and has only lost a handful of them and has only been finished four times in his career. To be finished four times in 15 years is super impressive. He’s got good leg kicks and kick defense and good wrestling even. His ground game is kind of under rated because he is a good grappler as well. So, he is going to be a tough opponent…. You know I’m not going to let anything outside of the fight [i.e. being on the untelevised prelim portion of the card] itself worry me. I’m there to fight Gono whether it is the main event of the card or the first fight of the night, and whether it is a sold out venue to just ten people in the stands it really doesn’t matter to me. All that other stuff is just outside crap and I am just focused on the fight it’s self and beating Gono and that is all that matters.”
Kaplan vs. Roop Set For UFC 98
Although they both lost their respective fights at the TUF 8 Finale, Dave Kaplan & George Roop will get a chance at redemption at UFC 98. The TUF 8 cast members will face each other on the May event's undercard.
FRANK MIR TALKS REMATCH WITH BROCK LESNAR
Mir anticipates more striking in the rematch and Lesnar to come in with a different game plan than their first go around. "I think it's going to be a lot more striking, obviously, this time. I think honestly there's going to be a lot more striking, but Brock's never really been punched in a pro fight. I think he's going to try to stand up with me for a little while, and then when that doesn't go his way he's going to take me down and try to ground and pound me and hope he's a lot more strategic about avoiding submissions."
NO MATTER WHAT VITOR SHOWS, LINDLAND IS READY
“No matter what Vitor shows up, he’s a dangerous man,” says 38 year-old Matt Lindland. “He’s the same guy he’s always been. What could be new about him? The only thing is he’s gotten a little older and a little slower. But he’s still dangerous. I still think he’s gotta be one of the quickest guys at 185. I would put him and Chael Sonnen as two of the quickest guys I know, at any weight class.”
Interview With Melvin Manhoef
Hi there, Melvin!
Brasil Combate in association with Fighline.com is very glad to interview you.
You were the Cage Rage Champion for almost two years. Tell us about that experience.
It was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed that time. It was the start of bigger things and it prepared me for the K1. I won my first big title there. The atmosphere, the fans and the events were great !
Arlovski hopes to cash in against Fedor
Andrei Arlovski finds himself in a unique position on Saturday night when he faces Fedor Emelianenko, generally considered the sport’s best heavyweight, in a five-round match for the World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts title.
The former UFC heavyweight champion left the organization last year to take one of the most lucrative MMA contracts in history from upstart Affliction.
Jeff Monson Arrested, But Not For Graffiti
Things just got worse for MMA’s favorite anarchist, Jeff Monson. He was arrested this weekend in North Carolina on a charge unrelated to his malicious mischief trouble in Olympia, Washington. Now he’s in jail on suspicion of “assault on a female and injury to real property.” Girl troubles gone terribly wrong, in other words. How disappointing.
Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto to miss DREAM Featherweight Tournament
Sports Navi is reporting that featherweight superstar Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto will not be ready in time to fight in the upcoming DREAM Featherweight Grand Prix scheduled for this March.
Yamamoto (17-1) is in the midst of a 14-fight win streak, but has been plagued with injuries that have kept him on the sidelines since demolishing Rani Yahya at K-1 Premium Dynamite in December 2007.
Regardless of the Fate of Elite XC, King of the Cage Survives
One of the worst fall outs from the Elite XC implosion was the negative impact on the mid-sized promotions that had been purchased by the doomed organization.
One of the orgs effected was Terry Trebilcock's King of the Cage. KOTC provided an early stage for stars such as Rampage Jackson, Rashad Evans, Diego Sanchez, Keith Jardine, Paul Buentello and Mac Danzig.
I'm happy to see that they're back up and running.
JEFF CURRAN VS. JOSEPH BENAVIDEZ SET FOR APRIL 5 WEC
A pivotal bantamweight match-up has been confirmed for the upcoming World Extreme Cagefighting card set for April 5, as former featherweight contender, Jeff "Big Frog" Curran takes on up and coming star, Joseph Benavidez, in a 135lb contest that could determine the next title contender.
PALASZEWSKI VS. CRUNKILTON IN WEC MARCH 1
As the March 1 WEC card in Corpus Christi, TX starts to take shape, MMAWeekly.com has confirmed that Bart Palaszewski and Richard Crunkilton will do battle in a lightweight match-up that could land the winner in title contention.
Tyson Griffin and Rafael dos Anjos on tap for UFC Fight Night 18
UFC lightweights Tyson Griffin (12-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) and Rafael dos Anjos (11-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) have verbally agreed to meet at the as-yet-unannounced UFC Fight Night 18, tentatively scheduled for April 1 in Nashvile, Tenn.
While the event has not yet been officially announced by the UFC, sources close to the bout today alerted MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the pending matchup.