Shogun Rua: Beating Lyoto Machida is a matter of time and space
“The key to beat him is work the question of the space in the Octagon. Lyoto is very good on it, and besides that, I tried to take in account all the possibilities that may happen in the fight. I have even trained with karatecas to understand their game. Lyoto plays in the distance and counter attack also in the short distance. So I’m very confident to find the right timing and win.”
Mauricio Rua weighs in on his upcoming title fight against Lyoto Machida at UFC 104 from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California, on Oct. 24.
Dan Hardy's mind games cannot penetrate the Swick mental armor
“Hardy realized that he could not only talk his way into getting the fight, but he knew he could also affect Davis’ performance. There is no question Hardy did a real great job of that. But it does not matter if Dan’s nice to me or talks crap like he did with Davis. I am a harder guy to figure out than Davis – my buttons are not so obvious. Neither of us are going to break mentally, so we have to break each other physically. It is going to be a war as there is so much at stake for us. There is so much I want to do in the UFC and this guy is not stopping that from happening. I like Dan –- but he is going down!”
The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) alum, Mike Swick, will not be rattled heading into his UFC 105 bout opposite Dan Hardy on November 14 in Manchester, England.
Overeem Faces TUF 1 Alum Hoger at Glory 11
Alistair Overeem's international calendar just got more crowded.
The 29-year-old Strikeforce heavyweight champion is expected to face original "Ultimate Fighter" alum Sam Hoger at Glory 11 on Oct. 17 in his home city of Amsterdam.
Triple Crown Fighter's Steve Ruisch, who brokered the deal for Hoger, told MMAWeekly.com Monday afternoon that the deal was "95 percent finalized."
Overeem recently appeared in a promotional video for Dream 12, to be held eight days after Glory 11 in Osaka, Japan. His opponent was unnamed. The event will be Dream’s first to utilize a hexagonal cage.
It has been almost two years since Overeem won the Strikeforce belt against Paul Buentello at the promotion's lone MMA tournament, “Four Men Enter, One Man Survives,” in November 2007. He was twice scheduled to make his U.S. return this year, but a lingering hand injury forced him to withdraw from bouts in April and June.
Since then, several reports have questioned Overeem's contractual status as well as his motivations for staying overseas.
Coleman's manager fires back at Ortiz
Mark Coleman’s manager Mike DiSabato has responded furiously to Tito Ortiz calling his fighter a ‘sissy’. Ortiz used his Twitter account in the early hours of this morning to reveal that Coleman was out of their UFC 106 fight. He said the MMA veteran had “sissied out”.
“Mark Coleman is not a talker, he is a fighter. He is a Hall of Famer who has fought a Who's Who of great fighters. Tito says "sissy"? Please. He can prove Coleman is sissy on January 2nd if he wants,” was DiSabato’s response to the comments during a conversation with Fighters Only.
"The dying embers of the Sex Pistols’ punk classic “God Save the Queen” fade to silence, and the lights are cut throughout the arena. Chris Leben stalks the darkened cage. The sporadic flicker of flashing cameras briefly illuminate an expectant capacity crowd, the fervor of which builds to crescendo at a glimpse of the man the fans have come to see.
Michael Bisping prepares to headline UFC 89."
Nick Diaz Camp Responds to Hieron Assertions
"As Strikeforce’s fall schedule takes shape, several of the promotion’s marquee fighters have grown antsy, and they’re pointing fingers at each other.
Jay Hieron, a July addition to the welterweight stable, wants to fight Nick Diaz and says he is tired of waiting in limbo after choosing Strikeforce over the UFC. "
Wanderlei on his future: "I can't retire, I love to fight"
Wanderlei Silva says he has no plans to retire from fighting in the near future, although he admits that the recent furore surrounding both Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson and Mirko ‘CroCop’ Filipovic has given him pause for thought.
“Its tough no? All fighters my age are starting to stop! Its hard, its bad news!” he laughed as he discussed his two former adversaries with Fighters Only. Jackson is on temporary hiatus from fighting while he pursues a role in the A-Team movie, while Filipovic has not looked good in the UFC and was talking about retiring after his loss to Junior Dos Santos.
Regarding Jackson, Wanderlei told Fighters Only, “I think he will come back. He is a great fighter and I think he will be back at some time in the future.” As for CroCop, “He was a great fighter too and he doesn’t need to stop, he just needs to train more for the next fight.”
Report: Scott Smith re-ups with Strikeforce, eyes December bout with Radach or Shamrock
Middleweight slugger Scott Smith (16-6) has signed a new six-fight deal with Strikeforce, and he could see action as soon as December.
News of the new deal was first reported by AOL FanHouse, who learned of the re-signing from Smith's agent, Mike Roberts.
Roberts also shared that his client, while uncertain of his next opponent, was interested in a potential rematch with Benji Radach (19-5) or a bout with MMA legend Frank Shamrock (23-10-2).
MMA Quick Quote: Jake Shields is going to ''smash" Mayhem Miller on Nov. 7
“I have nothing against Jason. I think he’s a tough fighter, but I’m gonna go out there and beat the crap of him on the 7th, ya know? Jason likes to talk and I’m gonna go out there and once we’re in the cage, you’ll see what happens. I’ve certainly prepared on my end. When I get through Jason Miller, then we’ll see who they bring at me. Seems like they’re bringing in some big middleweights so there’s lots of possibilities. I feel the best that I have ever felt. I’m going to go out there and try to smash Mayhem. I’ve been working on my stand-up, wrestling and jui jitsu, every aspect. I’m gonna go out there and make a statement and beat the living crap out of him.”
– Former Elite XC welterweight champion Jake Shields tells FightHype.com that he’s going to steamroll former ICON Sport middleweight champion Jason ‘Mayhem’ Miller at Strikeforce: “Fedor vs. Rogers” from the Sears Centre on Nov. 7 live on CBS.
UFC Quick Quote: Lucio "Spartan" Linhares may surprise Rousimar Palhares on Dec. 5
“Of course it was always a dream of mine to fight at UFC but I never thought it would become true. It’s the opportunity of my life now. Never is good to face off a Brazilian, especially a talented guy such Toquinho. I will prepare myself to fight standing and on the floor, despite I recognize jiu-jitsu and wrestling as his best skills. I will use my reach and maybe surprise him with my boxing background.”
– Former M-1 Challenge standout Lucio Linhares tells BrasilCombate.com.br that he anticipates a very difficult test for himself at The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale when he faces staunch Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu wizard Rousimar Palhares on December 5.
Joe Warren ready to go all out for the belt
Joe Warren's professional mixed martial arts career is in its infancy with a record of 2-0, but his two wins are over former WEC champion Chase Beebe and Japanese superstar Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto. At Dream 11 at the Yokohama Arena in Yokohama, Japan, Warren is matched up in the semi-final round of the featherweight tournament with Bibiano Fernandes and hopes to expand his record to 4-0 and leave Japan with the belt.
Hellboy ready for Aoki, welcomes Alvarez fight
MMAWEEKLY.COM: You're coming into this fight following a 14-month layoff, the longest of your career. How excited are you to finally have the opportunity to get in the ring and defend your lightweight title?
JOACHIM HANSEN: I am very happy to be back again! I was actually ready to fight for a while. With Dream’s consent, I even tried to be a part of the 20th anniversary Shooto show in May. However, they could not find me an opponent at short notice so that did not happen. So the desire to fight has never gone away.
Lee Murray Partner In Crime Gets 18 Years
LONDON (AFP) - A cage fighter who was involved in a 53-million-pound robbery at a security depot in Kent, was on Monday sentenced to 18 years behind bars.
Last month, Paul Allen, 31, pleaded guilty to three charges of conspiracy to kidnap, conspiracy to rob and conspiracy to possess firearms during the raid on a Securitas depot in Tonbridge in February 2006.
4 Prelim Fights Announced For WEC 44
WEC today announced 4 prelim matches for its upcoming WEC 44 event in November, bringing the card to 6 total fights so far. 3 previously rumored fights were confirmed while a 4th one-Ricardo Lamas vs. James Krause-was added. These join the previously announced Mike Brown-Jose Aldo and Leonard Garcia-Manny Gamburyan fights.
Chuck Liddell Sounds Like a Man Who Wants to Fight
The last time I talked to Chuck Liddell, in August, he wasn't ready to say whether he would retire from the UFC. Two months later, he still isn't ready -- but I got the sense then, and I still get the sense from a TV interview he gave Monday, that he's itching to get back into the Octagon. Video below.
UFC Disclosed Payout Analysis: 2006-2009
Summarized below are the statistical averages tracking the number of fights, disclosed payouts, and disclosed bonus money for most UFC events since 2006. Please keep in mind that disclosed salaries are not always available, nor are they a true representation of the total purse a fighter receives in the UFC...
Former WEC featherweight champ Urijah Faber signs new multi-fight deal
Former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber (22-3 MMA, 7-2 WEC) has ended all speculation regarding a potential move to a competing organization and has signed a new multi-year, multi-fight deal with the WEC.
WEC general manager Reed Harris announced the new deal while a guest on today's edition of MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). Harris called in from San Antonio, where the WEC exec is currently promoting Saturday's "WEC 43: Cerrone vs. Henderson" event.
"I had been talking to Urijah for months," Harris said. "I told him six weeks ago, 'We'll get this thing done.'"
Strikeforce's next "Arena series" show likely for San Jose in December
While Strikeforce is now scheduled to host three shows in November, the California-based organization isn't quite finished booking events in 2009.
Dave Meltzer of Yahoo! Sports was the first to report that a December "Arena Series" show was likely, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since confirmed with multiple sources close to the organization that Strikeforce is planning an event at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.
And while Meltzer was the first to report that a Dec. 12 date for the event had been secured with the California State Athletic Commission, an additional Dec. 5 date has since been added to the calendar.