Anderson Silva Does Whatever a Spider Can
If Anderson Silva's deconstruction of Forrest Griffin didn't impress you enough, FightMetric offers up some pretty impressive stats:
* Silva landed 13 of 25 total strikes, for an accuracy percentage of 52%. Silva has still never had a fight in which he landed less than half his attempted strikes.
Scott Coker on Promoting Carano vs. Cyborg, Biggest Women's Fight Ever
When Gina Carano steps into the cage with Cristiane "Cris Cyborg" Santos Saturday night, the Strikeforce MMA promotion will be putting on what its CEO, Scott Coker, calls not just the biggest women's MMA fight ever, but the most significant women's competition in the history of any combat sport.
In an interview with FanHouse, Coker -- who has worked in martial arts most of his life -- spoke about the historical significance of Carano vs. Cyborg and why he made it the main event on an MMA show that otherwise features only male fighters. The full interview is below.
Strikeforce CEO confirms Diaz vs. Hieron bout in jeopardy, resolution may come today
Previous reports that Nick Diaz missed a scheduled pre-fight drug screen with the California State Athletic Commission on Friday were today confirmed by Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker.
The executive confirmed the report on today's media call promoting the Aug. 15 event, "Carano vs. Cyborg," and Coker also said Diaz is currently in the process of submitting a sample to the CSAC.
Coker said he expects word from the commission on Thursday as to whether Diaz will be cleared to face Jay Hieron for Strikeforce's vacant welterweight title at the Showtime-broadcast event – though if the welterweight fails to show the bout could be scrapped today.
Bill Douglas explains Nick Diaz situation
The upcoming bout between Nick Diaz and Jay Hieron on the main portion of the “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg” event scheduled for August 15 is currently in extreme turmoil.
FiveOuncesOfPain.com recently had the opportunity to get the latest details on this unfolding story from California State Athletic Commission Assistant Executive Officer Bill Douglas. According to him this bout is not currently beyond saving, but it’s getting closer and closer to that point with every passing minute of the day.
Hello, Japan: Sengoku X Participants Revealed...? Plus, DEEP Adopts New Rules
An early promo clip has been released for September's Sengoku X, and aside from World Victory Road continuing to push their Olympic judokas, it's got a few interesting faces who I hadn't yet seen mentioned as participating. They include new Lightweight King of Pancrase Maximo Blanco (3-2-1, 1 NC), former "Super High School Student" and FWGP participant Tetsuya Yamada (3-1) and Wanderlei clone Fabio Silva (11-5). Of course, Satoshi Ishii is also featured in the video, but I don't think we'll see him fighting before New Year's, if then.
Thanks to Nightmare of Battle for the tip; head over there to check out the Sengoku Gold Cup South Korean qualifiers, as well as the "dark match" finals of the true Gold Cup from last week's Sengoku IX.
Fickle Fans and Fellow Fighters Turn on Forrest Griffin
MMA fans might be the harshest and most fickle in the sporting world. There is no better demonstration of the "what have you done for me lately mentality" than the way we have collectively turned on former favorite Forrest Griffin. For an example see the photo shop on the right which has been making the rounds in the BE comments, on the UG and the Sherdog boards
WEC 42 Fighter Payouts
The NSAC has revealed the official fighter payouts from last night's WEC 42 event. The total disclosed payouts was $234,500 with the biggest share-$25,000-going to main event loser Miguel Torres.
Next Up For Lashley: Ron Waterman
The next step up for Bobby Lashley likely won't be the big step his management was promising. Reports are the 4-0 Lashley will next face fellow one-time wrestler Ron Waterman, who spent some time in the WWF/E developmental system while also compiling a 16-6-2 MMA record. The fight is scheduled for October 3.
WEC's Miguel Torres: "It's going to be fun to get my belt back" from Brian Bowles
One look at former WEC bantamweight champ Miguel Torres' (37-2 MMA, 5-1 WEC) face was all it took to understand his feelings.
Seated in an unfamiliar position on the losers' side of the table at Sunday's "WEC 42: Torres vs. Bowles press conference, Torres blankly stared at the gathered media, most of whom appeared as shocked as the former champ that Brian Bowles (8-0 MMA, 5-0 WEC) had defeated – nay, destroyed – the seemingly unbeatable Indiana native.
"In this sport, one shot can change everything," Torres said. "There's no excuses for what happened."
Strikeforce adds five prelim matchups, "Carano vs. Cyborg" now complete for Aug. 15
With just five days remaining until Strikeforce conducts four championship bouts live on Showtime, the California-based organization has finally released the evening's full schedule for "Carano vs. Cyborg."
Strikeforce today announced the matchups, including a previously rumored heavyweight contest between Mike Kyle (12-6-1) and Fabricio Werdum (11-4-1).
"Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg" takes place Aug. 15 at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. The main card airs on Showtime.
Anderson Silva's Dominance Produces a New Set of Interesting Questions
Anderson Silva wasn't lying when he stated that he's years ahead of the competition. At UFC 101 on Saturday, he showed the world exactly why he's one of the most feared strikers in the sport by dismantling former UFC Light Heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin in 3 minutes and 23 seconds. It looked to be a walk in the park for the UFC Middleweight champion.
It was fairly evident in the week leading up to this tilt that Forrest Griffin was being highly over-valued as a legitimate challenger to Silva. While a lot of fans agreed that Griffin's size could be a legitimate problem, it almost works to every challenger's disadvantage in the light heavyweight division. Speed is what kills competition in MMA, and the same case is made in boxing as well. Unfortunately, Griffin didn't have the game plan to stifle that speed.
Griffin uninjured, not dealing well with loss
Reports surfaced on Sunday that Griffin had suffered a jaw injury and that was the reason for his hasty exit, but MMAWeekly.com was able to confirm with representatives from Zinkin Entertainment, Griffin's management group, that he is physically fine following the Saturday night fight.
Griffin suffered no broken jaw and he is physically okay, said the Zinkin representative, but emotionally he is definitely not dealing well with the loss.
MMA pioneer Don Frye out of Aug. 28 "M-1 Breakthrough," event moved to Kansas City
M-1 Global's Aug. 28 event, "Breakthrough," has suffered another setback as Don Frye has backed out of the evening's main event.
Frye's opponent, Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal, released the information in a recent video blog posted on YouTube.
"Don Frye, I guess, pulled out because he didn't like the location of the fight," Lawal says in the video. "It was originally supposed to be in Los Angeles, but I guess they moved it to Kansas City or something. I'm trying to still get that payday, so they're going to find a replacement to take his spot."
Sources close to the event have since confirmed Frye's withdrawal from the card with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), as well as the relocation of the event to Kansas City.
SI.com first broke the news that "M-1 Breakthrough" would not be happening in Los Angeles in conjunction with IMMAE, an international MMA trade show. Much was made of M-1 Global's lack of a promoter's license in California, but sources close to the event point to a financial backer withdrawing its commitment as the real culprit.
While M-1 Global has yet to make an official announcement regarding a venue in Kansas City, the organization would most likely look to Memorial Hall, the same venue that hosted a June event from the company's "M-1 Challenge" team-vs.-team event series.
Sources close to the event said a replacement for Frye is likely to be announced as soon as Monday, and the show – which will be broadcast on HDNet – will go on despite the changes.
Nick Diaz vs. Jay Hieron On 8/15 May Be Off
And now, your Strikeforce Bad Break Of The Day...Nick Diaz was supposed to take a drug test ahead of his 8/15 Strikeforce fight with Jay Hieron last night and trainer Cesar Gracie said he'd be there for it. He wasn't. Diaz reps claimed he was training but promised he'd take a test Monday. The problem is that the CSAC believes the test would have had to be taken last night to get the results back in time, and while they agreed to the Monday test, they feel that there is a good chance that the results of the test will not be back in time to clear Diaz for the show. If that's the case the fight is probably off.