Sean Sherk vs. Gleison Tibau agree to UFC 103 bout; Rich Franklin still possible headliner
A lightweight contest before former champion Sean Sherk (33-4-1 MMA, UFC) and Gleison Tibau (12-7 MMA, 5-4 7-4 UFC), who will make his 10th appearance in the octagon, is nearly set for UFC 103.
A source close to one of the fighters over the weekend told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) verbal agreements are in place and bout agreements are expected to be signed shortly.
UFC 103 takes place Sept. 19 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas. Although not official, Rich Franklin is expected to headline the event.
Dana: EA Sports told us, 'You're not a real sport'
UFC president Dana White says EA Sports responsible for current MMA video game war
UFC president Dana White has a simple message for fighters dreaming of competing in the world-famous octagon: Don't do business with EA Sports.
In an edict that started as a rumor on internet message boards, White stated after Saturday's historic UFC 100 event that he was "at war" with the popular video-game developers and that those that side with EA Sports will find themselves out of the UFC's good graces.
But perhaps surprising to some, White insists it was EA Sports that fired the first salvo in the still-developing controversy.
"It's easy to sit on the other side of the table and judge me on how I react to stuff like this," White said. "But let me tell you what – I've been in the trenches for almost 10 years, and I've been dealing with all these businesses, and EA was one of them."
Dana White “Blown Away” by Brock Lesnar’s Post-Fight Comments; Lesnar Appologizes for “Unprofessional” Remarks
"I was blown away. I don’t think in the history of the UFC we’ve had anybody do that. It’s not who we are, and, to be honest, it’s not who he is. You hang with these guys personally, and you get to know them. If he was a dick, I’d tell you right now this guy is a psycho and I don’t know what I’m going to do with him. He’s not. He’s a smart guy. The sponsorship thing was the craziest thing I’ve ever heard in my life.
“Brock went so far over the top, I can’t even put it into words. WWE — that’s what it is. We had a talk. We talked like men, and he said he was sorry. He said, ‘I’m embarrassed by what I said.’ I take his word for it this time.”
Dana White: ‘We’ll do Brock vs Fedor and it’ll be a huge fight’
“This whole Fedor thing has been going on and on and on. I keep saying this and that about him and he keeps waiting. Eventually, Fedor’s going to be here. I want Fedor. I want him to come to the UFC and everything else. [Lesnar] just became the heavyweight champion. We’ll end up getting that deal done. And then we’ll do Brock vs. Fedor, and it’ll be a huge fight.”
– UFC President Dana White envisions Fedor Emelianenko becoming a possible addition to his heavyweight division at last night’s UFC 100 post-fight press conference. White and Co. worked hard to bring the Russian on board after the collapse of Pride FC; however, talks broke down when the parties could not agree on an exclusive fight contract. It would be a minor miracle if Emelianenko ever signed with the UFC … he and his camp appear to mix like water and oil when it comes to working with UFC execs. Stranger things have happened, however. In the meantime, Emelianenko is penciled in to fight former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett this August in the third — and perhaps last event held by Affliction MMA. White seems confident “The Last Emperor” will find his way to the Octagon because after his July 11 performance, Brock Lesnar is quickly running out of viable contenders.
Lesnar Loves Being UFC's Beiggest Villian
The UFC enters its next centennial with something the company has sorely lacked. A true villain. A snarling, seemingly unstoppable bully plowing through opponents like in World Wrestling Entertainment pretend fights. Brock Lesnar was a star there once. He plays the role to a tee.
Tito Ortiz banned from the UFC Fan Expo: The UFC ‘doesn’t cherish me at all’
“The biggest problem is the UFC in general. They’re all about branding their name. We’re the guys who get inside the cage. Strikeforce is working toward making superstars, not worried about their brand. It really comes down to a respect value. They don’t respect me. They don’t cherish me at all. UFC wouldn’t let me go to the Fan Expo. I feel very sorry for all my fans. I’m here for the fans, I’m going to support them no matter what.”
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz talks about his exclusion from the UFC Fan Expo in Las Veag during the hoopla for the big UFC 100 weekend. “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” — whether you love him or hate him — is a 21-fight veteran of the Octagon and has been a key player in some of the biggest feuds in mixed martial arts history including his two bouts with Chuck Liddell and his much ballyhooed trilogy against Ken Shamrock. Is UFC President Dana White doing a disservice to the fans by suppressing the significance of Ortiz out of personal dislike? Or does Tito share just as much of the blame?
Fighters on weight for UFC 100
All 22 fighters competing at UFC 100 successfully made weight at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.
Heavyweight champions Brock Lesnar (265) and Frank Mir (245) took to the platform to make their bout official.
Welterweight ace Georges St. Pierre and challenger Thiago Alves each registered a weight of 170 pounds.
Carlos Condit vs. Chris Lytle on Tap for UFC Fight Night 19 in September
Final WEC welterweight champion Carlos Condit will look to bounce back from his UFC debut loss when he squares off against Chris Lytle at UFC Fight Night 19 on Sept. 16 in Oklahoma City, Ariel Helwani of FanHouse has learned.
Condit (22-5) is coming off a split-decision loss on the scorecards in his Octagon debut to Martin Kampmann at UFC Fight Night 18 in April, ending an eight-fight win streak that the Albuquerque native had compiled the last three years with the Pancrase and WEC organizations.For his UFC debut, Condit left longtime trainer Tom Vaughn at FIT NHB in Albuquerque for Arizona Combat Sports, a move that allows him to train alongside the likes of UFC competitors Ryan Bader and C.B. Dollaway.
Rafael Assuncao vs. Yves Jabouin targeted for WEC 43 on Sept. 2 in Ohio
WEC featherweight contender Rafael Assuncao (13-1 MMA, 1-0 WEC) will look to build on his successful debut for the organization when he meets newcomer Yves Jabouin (14-4 MMA, 0-0 WEC) at WEC 43.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the event that both fighters have verbally agreed to the contest, and bout agreements are expected to be finalized shortly.
Ultimate Fighter 10 Cast: Kimbo Slice Is the Star, Watch James McSweeney
The UFC has officially released the names of the 16 heavyweights who will participate in Season 10 of The Ultimate Fighter, and, of course, Kimbo Slice is the star. But the guy I'm most curious about is James McSweeney.
McSweeney, in case you haven't heard of him, is a former professional kickboxer who trains with Greg Jackson at one of the world's best MMA gyms.
Vitor Belfort, Matt Lindland Have No Problem Putting Past Behind
LAS VEGAS -- When we last saw Vitor Belfort and Matt Lindland in the same scene together, it was with the former separating the latter from consciousness at Affliction's last event, January's Day of Reckoning show.
Apparently, the two longtime MMA veterans had no problem putting the past behind them, as FanHouse obtained this photo of the onetime combatants together taken during UFC 100 week at the Xtreme Couture gym in Las Vegas.
Meet The Cast: TUF 10 Fighters Officially Unveiled
They're here! At the UFC Fan Expo, UFC & Spike officially unveiled the 16 Heavyweights that will make up season 10 of The Ultimate Fighter. The cast includes 4 former NFL players, a fighter in the U.S. Army still on active reserve, and the fighter also known as Kimbo Slice, among other notables and not-so-notables.