WEC 43: Richard Crunkilton vs Dave Jansen in the works for Sept. 2
A lightweight battle between former WEC lightweight number one contender Richard “Cleat” Crunkilton (16-2) and Dave Jansen (12-0) is being assembled for the WEC 43 card at the Covelli Center in Youngstown, Ohio on September 2.
“Cleat” will be making his third attempt at a return to the cage after being sidelined for the past 16 months due to injuries. He was first scheduled to square off against former International Fight League standout Bart Palaszewski at WEC 39 but had to bow out with a knee injury. And again he was forced to withdraw from a high profile fight on the WEC 41 card against the current division number one contender Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone three months later.
UFC is no longer interested in Andrei Arlovski
Of all the fighters to recently exit the UFC, Andrei Arlovski was the guy that Dana White stated he was not pleased to see depart.
Back in December 2008 when asked about Arlovski, White said, “In nine years, there’s only one fighter that I’ve lost that I didn’t want to lose.”
However, after recording two straight defeats to Fedor Emelianenko and Brett Rogers, Arlovski is no longer high on the UFC’s shopping list.
Fight Path: For XFC's big man Chris Barnett, martial arts was a family affair
Chris Barnett was a solid 320 pounds when went into the Xtreme Fighting Championships tryout in October.
The Tampa gym was busy with fighters who wanted a shot at MMA, especially in an organization known to host some of the most exciting up-and-comers around. Not many of them, though, had heard about the tryout following a breakdancing back-and-forth with one of the organization's representatives, as Barnett had.
But Barnett was unusual in several ways. He had come from a taekwondo-practicing family with an Air Force father who was quiet but respected. He had been a small-college wrestler who had learned judo with a friend because, frankly, there's not much else to do in Campbellsville, Ky.
Emelianenko team: More to MMA than UFC
The difficulties that the Ultimate Fighting Championship has in trying to sign Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko can be traced back to one prevailing attitude among his management team.
"The UFC won't be able to control the whole world," said Vadim Finkelstein, the president of Emelianenko's main promoter, M-1 Global.
Fedor Emelianenko Gives No Reason to Think He'll Sign With UFC
The heavyweight champion of mixed martial arts and the sport's biggest promoter appear to have a major sticking point in negotiations that will keep them from coming together any time soon.
Fedor Emelianenko, widely recognized as the best heavyweight in MMA, reiterated at a press conference Wednesday that he does not intend to sign a contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship unless the UFC agrees to promote fights jointly with Fedor's promoter, M-1 Global. The UFC has offered Fedor a contract but has steadfastly refused to become business partners with M-1.
MATT LINDLAND ON AFFLICTION, LESNAR & MORE
Like it or not Matt “The Law” Lindland calls it likes he sees it.
Whether it’s his own career or commenting on the world around him, Lindland is not one to sugarcoat things.
So when Affliction recently canceled its scheduled Aug. 1 “Trilogy” show and then less than 24 hours later closed up shop on its MMA promotion to partner back up with its once-scorned business associates, the UFC, Lindland was more than willing to give his thoughts on the situation; among other recent MMA happenings.
BARNETT RESPONDS TO STEROID ALLEGATIONS
A representative of embattled heavyweight Josh Barnett on Wednesday broke her silence after a California State Athletic Commission drug test allegedly flagged him as a steroid user, effectively canceling his bout with Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction “Trilogy.”
Released to the media was a statement from Barnett's manager, Shannon Hooper of Excel Sports Management, which addressed the situation with Affliction and the CSAC.
Paul Daley signs multi fight UFC deal
British fighter Paul Daley (21-8-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has reportedly signed a four-fight deal with the UFC and will join the organization's roster of welterweight fighters.
I'm personally looking forward to his debut.
Hieron-Diaz for Strikeforce title
MMAWeekly.com sources on Wednesday confirmed that Jay Hieron has signed a new multi-fight contract with Strikeforce that will put him on the promotion’s Aug. 15 event “Carano vs. Cyborg.” He will face Nick Diaz for the first ever Strikeforce welterweight championship.
Jeff Monson Pleads Guilty to Vandalism
Former UFC title challenger Jeff Monson pleaded guilty Tuesday to malicious mischief stemming from his charge for vandalizing the Washington State Capital, the AP reports.
Monson entered an Alford plea, which means the defendant does not admit guilt, but will accept a sentence as if he had been convicted due to the amount of evidence likely to convict him in court.
WEC AND UFC BACK-TO-BACK LIKELY IN FUTURE
It’s not especially convenient logistically for Zuffa, LLC, the parent company of the Ultimate Fighting Championship and World Extreme Cagefighting, to have the two promotions running events on back-to-back nights, but it makes for an enticing weekend of mixed martial arts for fans.
Stephan Bonnar ready to erase memory of Mark Coleman loss, would happily fight Tito Ortiz
We've all heard the rumors of Tito Ortiz's possible return to the UFC.
UFC light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar has heard them, too.
Bonnar, who recently dropped a unanimous decision to Mark Coleman at UFC 100, today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) he doesn't have an upcoming fight scheduled, but he's certainly willing to head the welcome wagon for "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy's" potential return to the octagon.
UFC legend and OSU grad 'The Hammer' speaks
The list of accolades for Mark Coleman reads like the attendee list at a Harvard alumni dinner:
• NCAA wrestling champion at Ohio State second place in the 1991 World Freestyle Wrestling championships
• seventh place in wrestling at the 1992 Summer Olympics
• first-ever Ultimate Fighting Championships (UFC) champion, UFC 10 and 11 tournament champion, Pride Grand Prix 2000 champion
• UFC Hall of Fame inductee
Los Angeles Times Reporter Sticks to Fedor Emelianenko Report
For a brief moment on Tuesday, the MMA world held its collective breath when news broke that Fedor Emelianenko and the UFC were "finalizing" a deal.
Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times reported on the newspaper's Web site that a deal between both sides "is expected to be announced by UFC President Dana White on Friday." However, several hours later, M-1 Global's Apy Echteld told SI.com's Josh Gross, "I can give you a guarantee it's not accurate."
Pugmire, however, is standing by his story. Kind of.