With win at ShoXC, "Pee Wee" Herman seeks bout with Brett Rogers
HAMMOND, Ind. -- Dave "Pee Wee" Herman (11-0) is not your typical undefeated heavyweight prospect.
But as Herman told the media at Thursday's official "ShoXC: Elite Challenger Series" weigh-ins, don't expect him to change anytime soon.
"Yes, I am still training alone and, no, I’m not really worried about joining a camp or team," Herman said.
Herman will meet former "The Ultimate Fighter 2" cast member Kerry Schall (21-10) in the main event of tonight's card at the Horseshoe Casino in Hammond, Ind.
Herman has notoriously shied away from traditional training methods in favor of garage work-outs by himself. Herman has also generally relied on his buddies to hold pads for him while honing his striking skills.
While eight of his 11 victories have come by knockout or TKO, Herman did admit to taking a little different route in reparation for tonight's bout.
Florida Begins Preliminary Investigation of Kimbo Slice vs. Seth Petruzelli Fight
After repeated calls from ESPN.com, the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation -- which oversees the State Boxing Commission -- said Thursday that it has opened a preliminary investigation into the matter.
"While the Department of Business and Professional Regulation doesn't have any reason to believe there was a problem with the Slice-Petruzelli fight, given the interest in it, the Department has begun a preliminary investigation to thoroughly review the circumstances of the fight," said Jennifer Meale, Communications Director for the DBPR.
Being honest I think nothing is going to come of this, especially considering that Jennifer Meale is already saying that they don't believe there was a problem with the fight. Regardless, the investigation had to start at some point and as long as the DBPR is not just saying they're investigating without actually DOING IT something could very well turn something up.
Regardless all of the "will this hurt EliteXC?" talk is missing the big point. ESPN is running multiple articles talking about the possibility of fight fixing on an EXC show. The company is already hurt badly, regardless of if anything is turned up or not.
Kalib Starnes returns to action against Kala “Kolohe” Hose in Hawaii
UFC veteran and TUF 3 cast member, Kalib Starnes will be stepping back into the MMA ring on November 15 where he will be fighting the Icon Middleweight Champion, Kala “Kolohe” Hose in Hawaii on the Destiny MMA organization’s main event.
Starnes’ last fight in the UFC was back in April of this year when he fought Nate Quarry at UFC 83 in one of the most “interesting” fights in MMA history. Starnes’ technique and gameplan frustrated Quarry to the point he started coming at Starnes with one arm outstretched and one hand covering his face in a mocking gesture. Quarry was able to pull off a unanimous decision despite the unorthodox styles shown by both fighters.
Starnes’ opponent on November 15th will be the pride of Hawaii, Kala Hose, whose most notable win was against Phil Baroni back in March in an Icon Sport Middleweight Title fight where he TKO’d the New York Badass early in the fifth round and won the vacant title. Hose’s most recent fight was in August where he defended his Icon belt against Rolando Dominique in a second round TKO victory.
Up Next For Thomson-Horodecki Or Uno?
The search for Strikefoece Lightweight Champion Josh Thomson's challenger in November continues. In addition to the previously suggested Mitsuhiro Ishida, Strikeforce is now talking to former IFL Lightweight prodigy Chris Horodecki and UFC veteran Caol Uno, but talks with both are in the very early stages.
UFC 89: VERA READY FOR 205 AND JARDINE
Vera On Cutting Weight:
--“Cutting that much weight and performing was the problem,” he explained. “I didn’t think it was gonna be, but I hadn’t cut weight in nine years.”
Vera On His Opponent, Keith Jardine:
--“He’s got great hands and a super awkward style,” Vera said. “An unorthodox, offbeat style; that’s a problem for almost every fighter. But it’s just something we’ve been working on in the game plan. Just making sure I execute the game plan that’s been set forth by my coaches.”
--“Nobody ever respected him or gave him the time of day until he started putting people to sleep,” Vera said. “I’m glad I didn’t do the same before I have to fight him. I just look at him as somebody that could knock me out. So I’ve got to be on my p’s and q’s.”
FEG Boss Wants to see Aoki vs. Akiyama
FEG president Sadaharu Tanikawa tells Kamipro that he's interested in seeing Shinya Aoki fight Yoshihiro Akiyama.
"Akiyama said he wanted to fight Yoshida. I think DREAM will never arrange Yoshida for him. It's obvious that Akiyama played to the crowd. I'm interested in what Aoki said. He fully understands what kind of fights DREAM wants to present. I want to watch Aoki vs Akiyama."
FEG (Fighting & Entertainment Group) is the parent company of DREAM, which is run by matchmaker Keiichi Sasahara.
Tito Ortiz back surgery a success
On October 6th 2008 my extensive back surgery was performed in Las Vegas by Dr. Smith. It lasted 3 hours, due to the doctors careful hand and my densely muscled core that had to be separated in order to get to my spine. My doctor was impressed with my quick recovery, and an hour after surgery I was on my feet and walking to the car. This is now the beginning of a new era. There will never be a question again about where my heart lies … and that is with my fans. I am focused on a quick recovery, and I will be back in the cage with a renewed outlook on fighting. I am a new Tito Ortiz … one with a bright fight future … one ready to power through the light heavyweight class and get the belt around my waist again. Mark my words … the best is yet to come.”
– Tito Ortiz underwent back surgery on Monday. The procedure was not an easy one and neither was the decision to have it. Nonetheless, he went through with it and is already claiming success in a letter posted on ProElite.com. It’s an interesting read. He covers everything from when the back pain first began, to how it affected him in recent fights and to how he believes the UFC stiffed him on medical insurance to cover the procedure. It’s important to note that “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” has indicated that he intends to return in as few as six months; however, Nate Quarry underwent a similar spinal fusion procedure and it took him more than a year to recover. All things, of course, are often not equal among individuals when it comes to surgery, healing and overall health. We’ll keep you posted on his progress.
UWC: Confrontation Weigh-In Information and Fight Card (**UPDATED**)
DC Rage, i thought this might be of some help tp you.
DC’s Biggest All Pro Cage Fighting Returns
Saturday, October 11 - Patriot Center, Fairfax, Virginia
Show Starts at 6:00 PM (* NOTE: Early Start Time)
Doors Open at 5:00 PM
Official Weigh-In - Friday, Oct. 10 – 4:00 PM
Hyatt Fair Lakes Hotel
12777 Fair Lakes Circle
Fairfax, VA 22033
Special guest appearances: Urijah “California Kid” Faber and Carlos “Natural Born Killer” Condit
Live Radio Interviews - Friday, Oct. 10 – 11:00 AM & 2:00 PM
WJFK 106.7 - “The Big O and Dukes Show”
11:00 AM - Antwainn Britt & Marcus Foran
2:00 PM – Urijah Faber
Live Radio Broadcast – Saturday, Oct. 11 – 4:00 to 6:00 PM
WJFK – “MMA Nation”
Host: Luke Thomas
4:00 PM to 6:00 PM
VIP Hospitality Room
Updated Fight Card (October 9, 2008)
Fight #1 – 185 lbs
Joey Kirwan Kris McCray
Clinch Academy Gold Medal Grappling
Frederick, MD Woodbridge, VA
Pro Debut Pro Debut
Fight #2 – 205 lbs
Cody Donovan Wade Drake
High Altitude Martial Arts Team Ferocity
Denver, CO Bowie, MD
2-1 Pro Debut
Fight #3 – 170 lbs
Levon Maynard Toby Johnson
Global Martial Arts Academy FIT NHB
Virginia Beach, VA Albuquerque, NM
3 - 2 - 0 6-2-0
Fight #4 – 185 lbs
Tony Sousa Ron Stallings
American Top Team Team Lloyd Irvin
Jacksonville, FL Baltimore, MD
5 - 3 - 0 5 - 3 - 1
Fight #5 – Over 205 lbs
Brendan Schaub Johnny Curtis
T’s KO Fight Club One Spirit Martial Arts
Denver, CO Reston, VA
1 - 0 – 0 1 - 1 - 0
Fight #6 – 185 lbs
Chris Reedy Marcus Foran
XFC FIT NHB
Reading, PA Albuquerque, NM
4 - 3 – 0 4 - 2 - 0
Fight #7 - 155 lbs
Kyle Baker James “Binky” Jones
MMA Institute Ground Control
Harrisonburg, VA Baltimore, MD
3 - 3 - 0 7 - 5 - 0
Fight #8 – 132 lbs
John Dodson Mike Easton
Jackson’s Submission Fighting Team Lloyd Irvin
Albuquerque, NM Temple Hills, MD
5 - 2 – 0 5 - 1 - 0
Fight #9 – 205 lbs
Terry Cohens Antwain Britt
C.C. Corey MMA Institute
Jacksonville, FL Norfolk, VA
3 - 1 - 0 5 - 1 – 0
Fight Card Subject to Change
Affliction's January Show = MMA Only
GOOD NEWS FOLKS! No boxing on Affliction's jan uary card!
The first offering from Affliction and Goldenboy Promotions in January will be a MMA only card:
Said Atencio, the partnership, which calls for quarterly events next year, is still a work in progress, though Golden Boy will heavily influence television and in-arena production.
It sounds like they had a big boxing main event a few days ago to put on top of a MMA undercard but it fell through. I think we'll be seeing Fedor/Arlovski on top, which is a fantastic main event.
ARLOVSKI AGREES WITH STAND-UP, LOOKS TO FEDOR
“Before the fight we had a meeting with the ref and he said, so guys – and the UFC have the same and Affliction – you have 30 seconds to improve your position,” he said. “So I was pretty comfortable, I knew that I am safe. He was on top of me, but I controlled the situation.”
Quinton Jackson Hearing Postponed
The pre-trial hearing for Quinton Jackson that was scheduled for today has been postponed. A preliminary examination scheduled for November 30 also has been postponed. No reason was given for the postponement.
Josh Koscheck vs Yoshiyuki Yoshida to headline ‘Fight for the Troops’ Dec. 10
The fantastic welterweight match up between Josh Koscheck and Yoshiyuki Yoshida, which MMAmania.com first passed along right here, will serve as the main event for UFC Fight Night 16: “Fight for the Troops” at the Crown Coliseum in Fayetteville, N.C., on Wednesday, December 10.
USA Today today confirmed the complete line up, as well as talked to “Kos” about his big 170-pound showdown with “Zenko.”
It's been rumored, now it's official
Randy vs Brock Lagging at Gate
Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer had a snippet of info in the print version of his newsletter about the soft market for tickets that the UFC is finding for Brock vs Randy tickets:
The 11/15 Las Vegas show with Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar, which should have been a first weekend sellout, due to the combination of the high prices and economy is at 8,000 sold for $3 million, and also moving slowly since only the $500 and up seats are left. There are casinos who have purchased tickets that don’t figure into that number, which is the ticket outlet numbers. But it was scaled to break the all-time UFC gate record of $5.4 million and right now it looks like they are going to have to cut deals or paper to sellout the 14,000 plus seats at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
The Randy-Brock information was mentioned against the backdrop of a piece that gave the tone that the United States’ economic troubles are affecting the UFC”s ability to move their premium-priced seats. While the party line from Dana and Lorenzo seems to be that the downturn isn’t bad for their PPV business, there seems to be little doubt that it is affecting their gate revenues.
It should be interesting to see what effect this has on their subsequent two cards in Las Vegas, which follow quickly afterward. While the New Year’s and Super Saturday don’t look to have as high a premium on their best seats, an adjustment in their ticket pricing strategy may be needed to fill the venue. That would be the better option, as papering tends to devalue your product.
Did WAMMA Lie About Sanctioning Fees?
A hat tip to the Bronzeville Bully for posting a link and some details from Rob Maysey's blog on seeming contradictory behavior from WAMMA officials. I had not yet read Rob's article on the history of sanctioning bodies and WAMMA's role in MMA until I saw Bully's fanpost. While long-time readers of the site will no doubt recall that Mr. Maysey and I have not seen eye-to-eye in the past his work is very good on this subject, his facts are in order and we seem to be on the same page in regards to sanctioning bodies in MMA.
After reading the article I was left feeling a touch upset at the notion that Dave Szady (WAMMA CEO) and Mike Lynch (WAMMA COO) may have been lying directly to me with their statements that WAMMA would never seek a sanctioning fee from any fighter or promoter. This is not something I take lightly and as such I have sent the following e-mail to Dave and Mike as they both said to contact them to address any rumors..etc:
Subject: Sanctioning Fees? From Brent Brookhouse of BloodyElbow.com
Michael and Dave,
I conducted an interview with you back in June for our website (BloodyElbow.com) and during that interview I asked you specifically if you would be charging sanctioning fees from either fighters or promotions in the future and you were both very steadfast in your response that this would never be the situation. Rob Maysey of MMAFA.TV contacted you more recently to ask in more explicit language if WAMMA would be charging sanctioning fees of promotions or fighters and received yet again another strong response that this would never be the case.
However, as Maysey pointed out, the materials you provided to athletic commissions at the ABC Convention stated that you will "receive revenue from title sponsors, online portal subscriptions, sale of unique digital content, merchandising, and in the future sanctioning fees."
Obviously this does not fit with what you have told myself and my site's readers. Speaking frankly this smacks of the kind of dishonest doubletalk that has made people question WAMMA's intentions from the start and harkens back to the boxing sanctioning body model that is so roundly dispised. If you can, as you have both stated, say with 100% certainty that you will never charge fees from a promotion or fighter than that language had no reason to be included in the materials presented to athletic commissions and leaves a lot of answering for your organization to do to the fans of this sport.
It is my hope that there is some sort of misunderstanding here and that you were not just telling people what they wanted to hear until you gained the necessary foothold in the sport to begin charging fees. Our readers will be expecting a statement from your organization explaining this contradiction and I will be posting this e-mail exactly as it is sent to you on our site in the interest of full visibility for our readers on our communications.
The rest is
Frank Shamrock Volunteered To Replace Ken
Reports that former UFC champion Frank Shamrock volunteered to replace his adopted brother, Ken Shamrock, in the main event of this past weekends Saturday Night Fights on CBS are indeed correct.
The news was confirmed in a press release issued by EliteXC late Wednesday night in which the promotion’s Head of Fighter Operations, Jeremy Lappen, stated that the reports were true.
“… Reports that Frank Shamrock volunteered that evening to fight Kimbo Slice are true,” Lappen is quoted as saying in the release. “Frank is a competitive fighter and he was willing to step up for his organization and the MMA fans. His offer was very greatly appreciated, but everyone in the room knew when he made the offer that it wasn’t a realistic possibility on such short notice.”
Some of the hurdles standing in the way of a Slice vs. Frank Shamrock fight could have been the ability to get Shamrock medically cleared on short notice; work out a compensation package that EliteXC’s shrinking budget could afford; and obtain consent from Slice’s camp to accept the fight.
As dangerous as Seth Petruzelli was to Slice’s perfect record, Shamrock would have been an even greater threat. Slice’s camp was able to negotiate a $500,000 payday for him to fight Petruzelli on short notice and it is likely they were in a position to command even more against the younger of the two Shamrocks.
Bisping & Leben Both Want Title Shot
Michael Bisping and Chris Leben both agree that the winner of their fight should be the next middleweight title challenger.
Speaking ahead of their headline clash at UFC 89 in England next week, the pair were frank about the potential ranking implications.
“I’ve said it before, I think this fight will be a deciding factor in who will be at that top tier in the middleweight division,” said Leben. “Who’s going to be in line for a title shot and who is going to fall back down into the middle of the pack?”
Bisping agreed: “Whoever wins this fight moves onwards and upwards to title contention, while its back to the middle of the pack for the loser. So obviously there is a lot riding on it.”
Fans of the TUF3 winner have long cited him as a potential champion, but he has not yet had a title shot in his time with the UFC.
However, Leben has fought middleweight boss Anderson Silva once before – and was stopped with a knee strike just 43 seconds into the first round.
“I can’t say how Michael is going to perform if he fights Anderson Silva, obviously I’ve fought him once and it didn’t go that well,” Leben laughed. But “I’m a much better fighter now and the Chris Leben of today wouldn’t make the same mistakes.”