What is the criteria used when scoring and ranking MMA's top 10 here on MMAPlayground.com?
In a nutshell, our rankings are based off of the community's fighter rankings via the My Fighter Rankings page.
- From this page users are guided through listing and ordering who they consider to be the top 10 most skilled and dangerous fighters in each divisions, including Pound For Pound.
- Each rank (1-10) has a static point value assigned to it.
- The points awarded via the rankings chosen by our website members are then modified based on the individual user's career performance in the main MMA Playground pick'em league.
The higher a player's overall career percentage of correct picks made on MMA events* is compared to that of other users, the more value a member's vote carries.
The result is that the people with the greatest knowledge of the fighters and have demonstrated a proven ability at predicting fights have a larger say in determining the fighter rankings, while still allowing enthusiasts and casual fans to have some input as well.
- We use a diminishing returns curve so that players must participate in making picks for several events* before their ranking points count for a full amount.
Players must update and/or re-approve their rankings after a ranked fighter performs before their vote is counted and calculated again.
This is done so that the rankings are up to date and accurately reflect the opinions of an active MMA userbase.
- Point totals are updated daily.
* - Only calculated on events where users make a pick for every fight so as to prevent "cherry pickers" from choosing the easy winners to have a stronger vote.