MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
UFC Signs PRIDE Veteran Ryo Chonan   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
Sam_Rothstein » Posted 3/21/07 1:52:00AM

PRIDE Fighting Championships and DEEP veteran Ryo Chonan (14-7 MMA, 0-0 UFC) — one of the few fighters to have beaten current UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva — has signed a contract with the UFC.

Click here for full article at mmajunkie.com

buryyourdead » Posted 2/26/07 12:23:00AM

What are they gonna do after that? Bring in Takase?

guccimane » Posted 9/4/07 4:05:00PM

LOL...forget Denis Kang, he wasn't a "big star" as Dana said, let's get Ryo Chonan. They should've brought in Kazuo Misaki over Chonan, this makes NO sense.

Karlski01 » Posted 2/4/07 12:17:00PM

say what you want about this not making sense but Chonan is one of my favorite fighters and I'm siked he'll be fighting in the UFC now. He might not be one of those top guys but he brings it every fight and could suprise some people in this division.

roman » Posted 1/28/07 5:06:00PM

Posted by guccimane

LOL...forget Denis Kang, he wasn't a "big star" as Dana said, let's get Ryo Chonan. They should've brought in Kazuo Misaki over Chonan, this makes NO sense.

It's because he beat Silva. They are going to sell this fight as revenge for Silva, just like the Liddel Rampag 2 fight.

I agree they could have had more talented fighters, but they are thinking about dollar signs.

loonytnt » Posted 7/9/07 11:43:00AM

yup they are going try and do a ''he has beaten him before'' thing, but the more people the more fights the fans get to see so its all good

MMA » Posted 1/13/07 11:38:00AM

It sucks how they are so concentrated on signing Fedor that they let Kang slip by. I really think they should focus more on the middleweight division now because I don't see anyone besides Henderson posing a huge threat to Silva's title reign.

I would love to see Fedor fight in the UFC as much as the older guy, but there are plenty of fun matches to see in the heavyweight division to entertain me. On the other hand, the middleweight division has almost no contenders.

HulkRage » Posted 9/4/07 1:38:00PM

Yeah there is a few other fighters that I would have like to have seen in the UFC before Chonan, but it makes great since for the UFC to bring him in to fight Silva again = big dollars if they play it right. (and they will).
IMO Chonan will only Strengthen the MW Div.
Keep the fighters and the Events coming.

rcg916 » Posted 3/20/07 3:54:00PM

Posted by guccimane

You are quickly becoming my least favorite poster...

cmill21 » Posted 5/27/07 4:09:00PM

I consider Kang a better fighter then Chonan. Dana seems to be mezmerized my being able to show HL reels of certain guys, thinking then the US fans will love them instantly.

Lay_N_Pray » Posted 1/30/07 4:04:00PM

Why do you all think that signing Chonan means he wont sign Kang...its not like people are saying "Oh no, they gave Ed Herman an extension...there goes any hope of Kang coming to the UFC."

We all know the MW division needs some depth...and Chonan might not win the belt but he is a solid fighter. I have no problem with UFC signing talented fighters to keep divisions alive and kicking. Kang could be coming...we never know.

I just think its a little hypocritical to bash the UFC for signing this guy when we all agree they need more middleweights

Kang just signed with K-1.

Blizzard » Posted 7/8/07 12:34:00PM

This is a great acquistion for the UFC and all of the fans. He will add some great fights.

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Why do you all think that signing Chonan means he wont sign Kang...its not like people are saying "Oh no, they gave Ed Herman an extension...there goes any hope of Kang coming to the UFC."

We all know the MW division needs some depth...and Chonan might not win the belt but he is a solid fighter. I have no problem with UFC signing talented fighters to keep divisions alive and kicking. Kang could be coming...we never know.

I just think its a little hypocritical to bash the UFC for signing this guy when we all agree they need more middleweights

We think this because they made no effort whatsoever to sign him and he is now fighting for k-1, meaning we won't be seeing him in the UFC for a very long time, if ever.

I don't see any problem with signing chonan... he's a good fighter, but I do agree that it's ridiculous how many top prospects they just let slip though their fingers. Look at k-1's hero's card tonight. Dana White is allowing them to become the new PRIDE, it's unfathomable to me that he wouldn't make every effort to take all of the top names and prevent his competition from beefing themselves up. *sigh*

Man that is an incredible card!

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]