MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Pride Is On the Line One Last Time   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
zephead » Posted 1/16/07 5:32:00PM

Whatever the outcome of today's historic unification fight in England, one thing is certain: When the lights go out at London's O2 arena, there will be no Pride left. Today's card, in essence, marks the end of the fabled Japanese fight league.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

guccimane » Posted 9/4/07 4:05:00PM

No, when Gomi and Fedor defend their titles in UFC and unify, that marks the end. Until then, this is just the beginning.

rcg916 » Posted 3/20/07 3:54:00PM

Uh, no. Sorry. Tonight is the beginning of the end, maybe, but not the beginning in any positive way. Definitely a step towards wiping them out for good.

Uh, yeah, I thought that was obvious. I wasn't claiming this was the beginning of PRIDE, that would be ridiculous, I'm saying this is the beginning of the end (Which you thought of half way through your post) because there's still two more unifications that need to happen, not to mention Henderson vs A. Silva in the MW division.

Chris_Keppel » Posted 7/16/07 5:26:00PM

Yeah. Unfortunately I don't believe in a "unification" bout. I think Rampage should have to beat Hendo in the ring too.

I love Rampage. I think he'll win. But to call him the champion of PRIDE when he won in the UFC... apples and oranges.

Trench777 » Posted 2/14/07 12:15:00AM

My only regret is; it won't be the beginning of the end of the Pride vs. UFC Whiners.

T777

If UFC management was smart, they'd keep PRIDE as a brand, even if they don't have the same rules or the ring, keep the fighters under the PRIDE umbrella, and have UFC vs PRIDE fights often and keep all titles around. There's so many PRIDE fans (me included) that it could really help push UFC to that next level. Make PRIDE look like the invaders and villains, and hype the shit out of it. People may not like WWE, but they know how to make money, and in WCW the NWO invasion was the biggest money maker of all time. UFC should keep both brands competing.

JimiMak » Posted 1/24/07 9:31:00PM

Posted by guccimane

If UFC management was smart, they'd keep PRIDE as a brand, even if they don't have the same rules or the ring, keep the fighters under the PRIDE umbrella, and have UFC vs PRIDE fights often and keep all titles around. There's so many PRIDE fans (me included) that it could really help push UFC to that next level. Make PRIDE look like the invaders and villains, and hype the shit out of it. People may not like WWE, but they know how to make money, and in WCW the NWO invasion was the biggest money maker of all time. UFC should keep both brands competing.

Absolutely not. Trying to model it after something that worked once in a completely different business is retarded, JMO. UFC has no idea how to put on a PRIDE show. They'll never put on an event w/ old pride rules, prob'ly never put one on in a ring. What we need is strong cards w/ good fights, not story lines.

Chris_Keppel » Posted 7/16/07 5:26:00PM

Unless you're looking at it from a business perspective. Let's face it. If Dana White managed to maintain PRIDE, keeping Fedor and other japanese super stars in it then having PRIDE vs UFC would be absolutely huge. That's a million dollar project right there. Money makerrrrrrrr.

kid_gorgeous » Posted 6/29/07 1:03:00PM

the reputation of pride has been ruined in japan. too much bs over there especially involvement with the mob. thats one of the main reasons for white and the ufc management lack of interest in keeping Pride open at this moment. Not to say they didn't try but it was a fight that'll take years to over when it will mostly be easier to introduce the ufc to that audience...

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by guccimane

Absolutely not. Trying to model it after something that worked once in a completely different business is retarded, JMO. UFC has no idea how to put on a PRIDE show. They'll never put on an event w/ old pride rules, prob'ly never put one on in a ring. What we need is strong cards w/ good fights, not story lines.

Worked once?? Raw vs Smackdown ring a bell??? PRIDE vs UFC would only add more fans, not sure why you see it as "retarded". The UFC doesn't need to put on a PRIDE show, they don't need the rings or rules. All they need are two seperate entities which they both own, no matter who the fans like, they can push both merchandises, and it's all their money at the end of the day regardless. Make sense?? Good. What we need is strong cards with good fights?? Not story lines?? Well obviously the UFC management disagrees, so if they want to take the storyline approach, they can do it right and at least make it interesting. Storylines and hype sell fights, more then good cards. Is Machida vs Nakamura going to do Tito vs Chuck numbers?? No. But you could argue Lyoto would embarass Chuck and Nak would beat Tito. Make sense now??

No sense in the world. Go back to pro wrestling.

I'll stick with mma considering I've been watching it since 1995. I'm sure Dana would see my point of view, seeing as how he's a businessman. Wrestling, although fake, can share ideas on how to sell a product to the masses and generate hype into your product. I'm not saying to suggest Dana got ran over by Tito Ortiz in the parking lot, what I'm talking about is a good old fashioned gang war. Everybody loves it. The fact you don't agree and obviously have some kind of hard on for pro wrestling (probably a closet fan) doesn't mean I'm the one with no sense. Thanks though bro.

Please don't confuse an action adventure series w/ a real sport.

kimoron » Posted 5/9/07 6:28:00PM

the simple fact that the "unified belt" is the ufc belt is a sure fire sign that pride is a few shovel loads away from being buried. once the hw and mw belts are unified pride will be nothing but a memory. very sad

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]