MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
UFC Is Highest Bidder in “Fedor” Sweepstakes   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
aznteabagger » Posted 4/7/07 6:25:00PM

Of all his suitors, the UFC has offered PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko (26-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) the most lucrative fight deal, but the contract’s numerous restrictions and the organization’s lack of communication could keep the MMA legend from joining the UFC, said Emelianenko’s manager, Vadim Finkelstein.

LINK

ocho-cinco » Posted 5/16/07 12:40:00PM

MisFiT » Posted 3/6/07 7:31:00PM

Communication is a problem? That is the dumbest shit i've ever heard. It was just as bad if not even worse when he was in Pride.

Dom119 » Posted 7/5/07 12:50:00PM

Dana white needs to suck up his pride, no pun intended, and just ley Fedor leave once a year. The UFC needs Fedor, we need to see him fight in the cage.

DevMahon » Posted 4/24/07 12:21:00AM

That makes no sense at all. Other UFC fighters compete in other non-mma events. Mir and Babalu had that grappling match. Okami competed in ADCC this year. Why can't Fedor? I mean, if this is the only hang-up, that's just retarded. If there's something beyond this problem, then maybe it makes more sense. I can't imagine the UFC would throw away the greatest fighter in the world over something as minor as letting him compete in a non-mma bout for his native country once a year.

cmill21 » Posted 5/27/07 4:09:00PM

The most rediculous thing about this is, the UFC could make all of their money back with one fight, if they had a rematch of Fedor and Mirko I bet they get both of their salaries paid off in PPV's alone. Especially if Mirko gets back on track and Fedor beats Randy. Come on Dana brain up!

wilwith1l » Posted 6/29/07 5:13:00PM

Fedor doesn't just want to fight the sambo championships. He wants to fight what ever is is Russia. He wants non-exclusive.

KingKash » Posted 6/13/07 12:25:00AM

the sooner this deal happens the sooner I will be happy.

LR » Posted 6/21/07 2:59:00PM

Actually, Fedor's camp didn't mention he wanted to fight any M-1 event in Russia. But the Russian Combat Sambo and World tournaments is what they want to do. They should allow him to do so, and give him his other demands in exchange for exclusive rights to him. Dana won't budge on any of the issues. Apparently, compromise is out of his vocabulary.

xphycorx » Posted 7/3/07 12:48:00AM

the ufc needs to do whatever it takes to get the best heavyweight fighter in the world into the octagon. simple as that.

Branwest » Posted 7/14/07 1:42:00PM

They've already offered him a very lucrative deal. Both sides need to give a little for eveyone to benefit- mainly us fans

Fedor wants a non-exclusive deal which should be met with certain provisions. The non-compete clauses can still be worked out to an extent. MMA needs Fedor in the UFC, the fans need Fedor in the UFC, the world needs Fedor in the UFC.

More money, better legacy, some fights in Europe mabe even Russia eventually. The UFC won't make him travel much more than PRIDE did. The real completition and great money is in the UFC. Fedor, Dana, you need to come to an agreement and stop holding all of us fans hostage. The money that the UFC gets by signing Fedor is worth letting him have his way (to some extent).

danski » Posted 6/30/07 12:17:00AM

If the Ufc claims to be #1 then they need the best hw in the world .

thepunisher » Posted 2/2/07 11:42:00AM

I read the point that is holding it up now is that they will let Fedor fight in Sambo but they have it written in the contract that if he gets hurt and can not fight in the UFC he will have to pay back money from his contract. Which makes sense to me

Branwest » Posted 7/14/07 1:42:00PM

If that's true, then it's more than fair.
The NFL doesn't let it's players play in other leagues. Neither does the NBA, MLB, NHL, etc. They even have "dangerous behavior" provisions such as riding motorcycles. We've all seen Kellen Winslow III and Ben Rothlisburger screw that up. WInslow had to forfeit most of his earnings for the time he was out.
If the UFC let's him continue to do the SAMBO competitions, then Fedor should agree that if that results in injury, which in turn affects his fighting schedule in the UFC, then he should have to pay the UFC money for their time. I see no problem with that. The UFC is willing to let him do his thing, then Fedor should be willing to go along with that provision.
UFC gives a little = Fedor gives a little
They both need eachother. UFC needs Fedor for obvious reasons, and Fedor needs the UFC to make more money, better competition, secure his reputation as the best HW (which he is), and extend his legacy as that.

cmill21 » Posted 5/27/07 4:09:00PM

PERFECT! Now the thing is what money would he have to pay back? If it's all the money he's ever made from the UFC then no because he earned it by fighting. If it's his signing bonus then that's more then fair. Finally dana moves a bit!

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]