MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
NIKE Files Lawsuit Against MMA Brand Venum Fight   [View Full Version]
FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

In a new lawsuit filed in Portland, Oregon, NIKE -- the world's leading sports apparel company -- is suing the niche mixed martial arts (MMA) brand Venum Fight for trademark infringement.

Link

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Just sue it.

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

so if I read this correctly and understand it, NIKE is suing venom for selling NIKE shoes on venom's website. I don't understand why NIKE didn't just say "Hey, give us a cut of the sales and you can sell our shit as much as you want."

OnyxShadow » Posted 1/22/08 3:28:00PM

Posted by tcunningham

so if I read this correctly and understand it, NIKE is suing venom for selling NIKE shoes on venom's website. I don't understand why NIKE didn't just say "Hey, give us a cut of the sales and you can sell our shit as much as you want."

Article didn't seem to mention that...

What I got from the article was that Nike is suing "VENUM" because they have a line of merchandise called "VENOM". This is BS. Its not even the same spelling, and its too common a base word for Nike to have any claim on it. Of course that doesn't mean Nike won't win. They can out-lawyer the opposition despite the case haven't an obvious lack of merit.

In other news, some guy named Mike is using Nike because he had the name prior to Nike being founded in 1964.

FlashyG » Posted 2/13/08 10:33:00AM

Posted by OnyxShadow

Posted by tcunningham

What I got from the article was that Nike is suing "VENUM" because they have a line of merchandise called "VENOM". This is BS. Its not even the same spelling, and its too common a base word for Nike to have any claim on it. Of course that doesn't mean Nike won't win. They can out-lawyer the opposition despite the case haven't an obvious lack of merit.

In other news, some guy named Mike is using Nike because he had the name prior to Nike being founded in 1964.

Where is Rush when you need him!

I think the argument is a little more complicated than that.

Nike is alleging that VENUM is knowingly taking advantage of the similar names by selling NIKE gear on their website along with their own products. That would potentially trick NIKE customers into mistakenly buying VENUM products when they wanted NIKE's VENOM brand.

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by OnyxShadow

Posted by tcunningham

Nike is alleging that VENUM is knowingly taking advantage of the similar names by selling NIKE gear on their website along with their own products. That would potentially trick NIKE customers into mistakenly buying VENUM products when they wanted NIKE's VENOM brand.

Even so it still wont hold up

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Posted by george112

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by OnyxShadow

Posted by tcunningham

Even so it still wont hold up

I wouldn't be so sure. I'm no lawyer, but I've read enough about other trademark cases over the years to know there may be something here. Having the same phonetic name, nearly the same spelling, and being in the the same product category is huge. And if the other accusations amount to anything, it's icing on the cake for Nike. Microsoft, for example, has had tremendous success over the years against other software companies for merely having "micro" in their name or even just having a product that rhymes with "Windows". Plenty of smaller MMA leagues have been prevented from using the word(s) "Ultimate" or "Ultimate Fighting" as part of their name. I wouldn't call a win for Nike here crazy at all. It's likely their case to lose, assuming the information provided is accurate.

supatolacyl » Posted 8/23/07 8:14:00AM

I'm curious to know how "Venum" or their holding company orders the Nike equipment that they are selling online? Do they order directly from nike as an established retailer (which would be best for their defence) or do they receive product from another established Nike retailer.

If Nike loses their next claim will be that the "Venum" logo's fangs look too much like nike swoosh's. Anything to get the rights for making the UFC uniforms if that comes to fruition.

frizzzlecake » Posted 5/25/12 8:57:00PM

I want to see Judge Joe Brown throw this shit out of his courtroom.

airkerma » Posted 1/6/10 12:05:00PM

Posted by frizzzlecake

I want to see Judge Joe Brown throw this shit out of his courtroom.

Judge judy would catch that shit, shovel pass it to judge mathis who would ram it right down the pipe of the peoples court.

[View Full Version of this Page]