MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Dana White: 'for all intents and purposes Renan Barao is the real champion'   [View Full Version]
FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

UFC president gives offers his take on interim UFC bantamweight champion Renan Barao.

Link

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

I have mixed feelings on the situation. It's true Barao is dominating everyone in the division, but none of them are actually champions. You have to beat a champion to be a champion. Until Barao beats Cruz, I can't consider him the real champion. For all we know he could be the Jon Fitch of 135.

RhythmAndStyle » Posted 1/25/08 3:12:00PM

tbh, Barao should have been crowned champ after the first yr Cruz was sideline..this is the first time in UFC history they have let a champ be side line that long..i still consider Barao the champ..Cruz should have been given the interm belt so that when he comes back he would be first at Barao..

GDPofMPG » Posted 2/22/08 6:29:00PM

Barao is a champion, but no fighter has defeated Cruz to take his championship away as well. For all intents and purposes, Cruz is very much a champion still.

I don't get why people cling to this idea Cruz shouldn't be champion or that a champion should lose his title for any other reason then being defeated by another fighter.

I don't get why people think titles should be won or lost outside the cage.

Why should a guy lose a title for any other reason then being defeated by another fighter, because they have retired form the sport or willingly giving it up?

papercut » Posted 3/3/07 4:18:00PM

Posted by GDPofMPG

Barao is a champion, but no fighter has defeated Cruz to take his championship away as well. For all intents and purposes, Cruz is very much a champion still.

I don't get why people cling to this idea Cruz shouldn't be champion or that a champion should lose his title for any other reason then being defeated by another fighter.

Why should a guy lose a title for any other reason then being defeated by another fighter, because they have retired form the sport or willingly giving it up?

tell that to frank mir after his motorcycle accident

jjeans » Posted 9/2/09 6:06:00AM

Posted by papercut

Posted by GDPofMPG

tell that to frank mir after his motorcycle accident

Or Josh Barnett

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

I don't know
Cruz had two title fights
Barao has been in three now in the UFC
Barao finishes fighters in his title fights

Cruz should have been stripped 6 months ago

I have no problem flipping the switch

Barao champ
Cruz interim champ

Cruz needs to return or else we are gonna see
A Faber vs barao rematch

If it does happen Cruz vs barao

I could see this happening in Vegas come Feb or march
If they push it to April
Co main would be Edgar vs Penn

NikkiNeversleep » Posted 9/29/13 12:27:00AM

Nosferatu is BW champ, he was gonna be when Cruz had the belt and he definitely is now that Cruz has been injured. If Cruz comes back to fight Barao now, hes sure to lose. I didnt give him much chance when he was 100%, and now I dont give him any chance at all.

Webbie » Posted 9/22/07 11:16:00AM

Barao's been the real champ for a while now as far as I'm concerned.

jakewalters » Posted 1/14/12 12:02:00AM

Props for not saying "for all intensive purposes"

airkerma » Posted 1/6/10 12:05:00PM

Posted by jakewalters

Props for not saying "for all intensive purposes"

What an irregardless post

KungFuMaster » Posted 5/17/11 11:13:00PM

I think Dana is just offering this as a way to buy time and to keep Barao's team from further pressing the issue. It's about money.

aussiemma » Posted 1/27/12 10:34:00PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I think Dana is just offering this as a way to buy time and to keep Barao's team from further pressing the issue. It's about money.

Yeah definitely ! They are trying to spice up the bw division and championship, they got us talking about it now more than ever. You think this would happen if it was the hw division ? 2 years no way !

[View Full Version of this Page]