MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
UFC veteran Mike Swick making the move back to middleweight   [View Full Version]
FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Long time UFC vet and former welterweight top contender Mike Swick is returning to the middleweight division following his recovery from a long illness.

Link

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

As a Swick fan I'm all for it but I hate to say it might be too late.

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

I don't think it's to late as the whole scene has changed since he was an active fighter, much less a MW. My question is going to be more about how he is going to go about handling the harder punchers and more powerful wrestlers that the division has to offer. I am sure he could submit a guy like Karlos Vemola, but I am definitely not going to be picking him against a Weidman, Sonnen, or Stann.

quezocrema0032 » Posted 7/15/07 12:46:00AM

If he really is over the illnesses he's had & can keep good weight on I think this could be a good move, at least in theory lol. He really hasn't taken a lot of damage in his career & is only 33. I think Swick has a chance to outlast the rest of the Tuf 1 crew, & I can think of a few fun middleweight matches. Fights against Leben (fun rematch) Belcher, Tom Lawlor, Stann, Sakara all sound appealing & make sense since all are coming off losses (except Lawlor but he still is only 3-4 in his past 7 fights). I'm all for it if it gives Swicks career a shot in the arm.

jjeans » Posted 9/2/09 6:06:00AM

Leites/Kong winner on the Manchester Card.

The guys better days are behind him - Don't think I've ever picked him to win in his last 4 fights

Dirty Blue

aussiemma » Posted 1/27/12 10:34:00PM

I can see him getting a win or two.... But nothing really past that.

Bythar » Posted 8/1/07 5:50:00AM

I can see it being a good thing for Swick. He is currently losing/having trouble with mid tier welterweights. Maybe the speed advantage he had as a mw could allow him more success. The stalwarts of the division will still be able to beat him by either hitting harder/being too strong for him though. He probably won't go on a huge run or anything, but I think this is his best chance to get some more UFC success.

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

This doesn't look like a good move to me. My prediction is he wins one then loses 2 then retirement.

jjeans » Posted 9/2/09 6:06:00AM

I think every fighter who's on the brink of retirement should do what Ric Flair did. Next time they lose, retire.

Dirty Blue

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

Too late for it.
Should have done it two years ago

Sir_Karl » Posted 9/7/07 9:27:00PM

He is just grasping at straws at this point. He needs to seriously improve his game or enjoy the minor leagues. I think he is going to get hurt up at MW. It is a whole different world nowadays. The game has improved and Swick hasn't.

Pookie » Posted 4/8/07 11:48:00PM

Swick said this a few years back and still took the next fight of his at WW.

Who knows though, maybe hes serious this time. Doubt he can handle the power at MW though. When he gets hit clean midflurry he just caves and has no offensive output.

icantthinkofanything » Posted 1/16/09 11:38:00PM

The mw division is not as talent rich as ww, but none the less, Swick will get outworked by bigger fighters. He should call Dolce and stay at ww. Matt the immortal has been blasting heads in ww, no reason to change divisions as a result of that Brown loss imo.

[View Full Version of this Page]