MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Couture: Getting banned from son's UFC corner was 'over the line'   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

Randy Couture knew his decision to join forces with the UFC's largest competitor wouldn't be welcome news to UFC President Dana White. A certain amount of backlash was, he figured, to be expected.

What the former UFC champ didn't expect, he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) was that it would get him barred from working his son's corner at future UFC events.

"In my opinion, that's over the line," said Couture, whose left his role as a UFC commentator in order to sign with former UFC broadcast partner Spike TV. The decision led to him being effectively banned from son Ryan's corner when the younger Couture made his octagon debut at the UFC on FUEL TV 9 event in April.

Now that the elder Couture is gearing up for the June 19 premiere of Spike TV's "Fight Master" reality show, where he'll serve as one of four coaches, the retired MMA legend said he has no regrets about his decision to leave his UFC gig for a more visible role with Spike TV and Bellator MMA. If anything, he said, White's verbal tirades in the media only increased "Fight Master's" public profile.

LINK

Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

I agree with Randy, Dana has always been a little baby when things dont go his way

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

I agree. Dana takes stuff so personnal

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

I agree. Dana takes things too personal....oh shit, already been said....uh thi k hard....umm.....Danas a fucktard

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Bythar » Posted 8/1/07 5:50:00AM

Posted by Shawn91111

I agree with Randy, Dana has always been a little baby when things dont go his way

Agreed. He looks so unprofessional when he puts personal gripe over business. Like a less intelligent Vince McMahon.

Webbie » Posted 9/22/07 11:16:00AM

I agree that Randy being banned from Ryan's corner is over the line, but I'm not surprised at all.

I like Dana, but I don't agree with his decision on this one.

shaneTpain » Posted 7/30/11 2:57:00PM

The sad truth is Dana basically represents MMA as a whole & he unknowingly hinders mainstream momentum when he does childish garbage like this. Fucktard indeed

VILLIN » Posted 12/13/09 6:42:00AM

I must be a complete asshole because I agree with Dana in this case and would've done the same.

Randy was heavily promoted by the UFC and was given a role of high public visibility. You can bet your left nut that Spike/Bellator will be milking Randy's status for all it is worth, a status that the UFC built and marketed. A fighter's corner crew are highly visible on tv/ppv and it is a sound business decision to not give your competitor free camera time & publicity. Randy is a businessman and for him to claim that the UFC's response was over the line or at all surprising smacks of naivety and stupidity.

Randy made his choice and he chose to put his own interests ahead of his son's and the company that made him a millionaire.

frizzzlecake » Posted 5/25/12 8:57:00PM

Posted by VILLIN

I must be a complete asshole because I agree with Dana in this case and would've done the same.

Randy was heavily promoted by the UFC and was given a role of high public visibility. You can bet your left nut that Spike/Bellator will be milking Randy's status for all it is worth, a status that the UFC built and marketed. A fighter's corner crew are highly visible on tv/ppv and it is a sound business decision to not give your competitor free camera time & publicity. Randy is a businessman and for him to claim that the UFC's response was over the line or at all surprising smacks of naivety and stupidity.

Randy made his choice and he chose to put his own interests ahead of his son's and the company that made him a millionaire.

I get some of your points, but how many cornermen outside the top training center's get talked about on the UFC programs?. Dana could have very well told Goldie and Joe do not to talk about Couture and let him corner his son. I've seen plenty of Bellator fighter's cornering UFC guy's not get there names called for that reason. Randy did a lot for the UFC and without him imagine the heavyweight division during early 2000s.

For instance the guy George Roop pulled into the cage and pretended to elbow, he did the same thing to George on Bellator, Joe knew that but never said Bellator just said they've done it before.

Wallass » Posted 10/7/08 5:39:00PM

Randy really shouldn't talk. Dude's cheated on all his wives and whined and walked away from the promotion when he didn't get his way. Randy's accomplished a lot in his career but he's certainly done his fair share of "over the line" things as well.

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

Posted by Wallass

Randy really shouldn't talk. Dude's cheated on all his wives and whined and walked away from the promotion when he didn't get his way. Randy's accomplished a lot in his career but he's certainly done his fair share of "over the line" things as well.

Webbie » Posted 9/22/07 11:16:00AM

Posted by VILLIN

This makes perfect sense, but I still don't think it would severely hurt the UFC to allow Randy to corner Ryan.

At the end of the day though, I suppose Dana did make the right decision.

mrsmiley » Posted 4/12/07 4:37:00PM

I can see, in a way where Dana is coming from but the bottom of the line is Randy Couture isn't Frank Shamrock. You can't just erase the guys history from the organization.

Sir_Karl » Posted 9/7/07 9:27:00PM

Couture's ears are over the line.

traveller77 » Posted 12/29/10 5:50:00PM

What Dana doesnt seem to recognize is that he is the defacto commisioner of MMA, but he goes around acting just like any other fight promoter. He has a bigger responsibility and should take a few cues from others in his position. These childish fueds with fighters and other promotions are so stupid. He should take the attitude "we dont have any competitors, just minor leagues" and he would be right. Randy Couture did his share for the UFC and Dana is forgetting that. FIrst he screws him out of his fight with Fedor and now this. White is just making himself look stupid, AGAIN

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]