MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Off Topic > Off Topic
Top 10 favorite Baseball Players all time   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

I'm having a long day at work, and needed to start something.
Name your top 10 favorite baseball players of all time, if you dont like baseball then too bad. If you cant think of ten then put whatever. Good stuff.

1. Ryan Braun
2. Robin Yount
3. Paul Molitor
4. Ken Griffey Jr.
5. Jonathan Lucroy
6. Carlos Gomez
7. Pedro Martinez
8. Willie Mays
9. Geoff Jenkins
10. Ben Sheets

Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

1. Ty Cobb
2. Don Mattingly
3. Derek Jeter
4. Mariano Rivera
5. Willie Randolph
6. Lou Gehrig
7. Ted Williams
8. Mike Mussina
9. Paul O'Neill
10. Greg Maddux

postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

1. Ken Griffey JR
2. Andrew McCutchen
3. Andy Van Slyke
4. Berry Bonds
5. Bo Jackson
6. Frank Thomas
7. Marquise Grissom
8. Cal Ripken
9. Fred Mcgriff
10. "Prime Time " "Noen" Dion Sanders. I loved when played ball.

Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

In no particular order, & my Braves fandom shoikd show a tad bit here

Ken Griffey Jr
Chipper Jones
Nolan Ryan
Mickey Mantle
Frank Thomas
John Smoltz
Greg Maddux
Tom Glavine
Cal Ripken
Deion Sanders (so glad im not the only one to put Neon Deion on my list)

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

1 - Paul O'Neill
2 - Aramis Ramirez
3 - Greg Maddux
4 - Ron Santo
5 - Ryne Sandberg
6 - Derrek Lee
7 - Mark McGwire
8 - Reed Johnson
9 - John Smoltz
10 - Rob Dibble

Wallass » Posted 10/7/08 5:39:00PM

1. Cal Ripken
2. Joe Carter
3. Roberto Alomar
4. Nolan Ryan
5. Mo Vaughn
6. Ken Griffey Jr.
7. John Kruk
8. Pat Hentgen
9. Randy Johnson
10. Josh Hamilton

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

Jose Canseco
Bo Jackson
Ken Griffey Jr
Kirby Puckett
Nolan Ryan
Darryl Strawberry
Stephen Strasburg
Albert Pujols
Mark Mcguire
Barry Bonds

bojangalz » Posted 5/25/07 9:00:00PM

Oh man. Top ten, just ten? That's tough. Number one is the only one in the top ten that has a proper place. After Bonds you could probably ask me the same question each day of the week and get a different order to the list.

#1 Barry Bonds. I got into collecting baseball cards like so many others in the early 90's. I was probably 10-11 years old when a kid traded me like 20 Bonds cards. I had more cards of him than any other player. So he became my favorite player. I was rooting for him back in the Pirates days when he was robbing homers and stealing bases. He was a 3-Time MVP and easy HOF'r long before the PED's. This guy would see one or two pitches in a game and make a pitcher pay every time. I remember Buck Schowalter intentionally walk him with the bases loaded against the D-Backs. Amazing.

#2 Ozzie Smith. Back flips had me hooked as a kid. Just one of those guys who's hard to root against. And his defensive HL reels stand up against the best gloves of all time.

#3 Nolan Ryan. Something about that stubborn old sumbitch who just threw heat and dared guys to hit it. And putting Robin Ventura in his place never hurts your rankings either. That throwdown gets me every time. I'm a stat head, and statistically speaking- there's no single player history more over rated than Ryan. But this is a list of favorites, not greatest.

#4 Greg Maddox. He was so understated. His approach to pitching had every bit as much to do with knowing the hitter and keeping him off balance as it did with movement and velocity. I honestly think that if the cutter had been more prevalent in the game during Mad Dog's reign that he'd be up there with the greatest pitchers of all time. It would have been a perfect compliment to his two-seamer. There's also something to be said for a pitcher with such a clean delivery that he could field the position as well as Maddox did. Guys like Max Scherzer (who constantly falls off the mound and is worthless as a fielder) could learn a lot from the way Maddox approached the game.

#5 Cal Ripken. I can still remember staying up late on a school night to watch him break the record live on ESPN. It was the first time I can ever recall having the realization that I was witnessing something that I would never see again. It really felt like I was watching something larger than life. I suppose it was the first time I was ever in awe of someone.

#6 Ricky Henderson. He was electric. There's really just no other way to describe him. And the dude played forever. Like 25 seasons of pro ball. It's a shame he couldn't have stayed healthier over the course of his career.

#7 Ken Griffey Jr. Speaking of never stay healthy. When I was a kid, you determined who your friends were by which side of the Bonds/Griffey fence they were on. I was firmly in the Bonds camp. I just couldn't trust a kid who actually thought that Griffey was a better player.

#8 Pedro Martinez. He was a staple of my Fantasy teams years ago. He had a frame like Maddox, but he pitched with so much more flare and anger. I think he's a great case of someone who absolutely maximized every bit of his physical potential.

#9 Albert Pujols. It's really beginning to look like health is going to claim his career a bit earlier than most expected (though it's entirely possible that he's older than 33). Pure hitter really nothing more to be said than that.

#10 Miggy Cabrera. There's probably a bit of recency bias here... But he seems to be picking up the torch for Pujols these days as the best pure hitter in the game.

just a couple honorable mentions:

Rocket
Big Unit
Chipper
Bagwell & Biggio (where one goes, the other must follow)
Pudge
Rock Raines

cowcatcher » Posted 1/16/07 1:02:00AM

My initial thought is to critique each of your picks and say why they should or shouldn't be your favorites(so stupid). This is when I realize I need to be in the "I'm Drunk" thread.

BTW Shawn gets bonus points for Don Mattingly, my favorite player ever, and Outlaw for naming Brewers because that's just smart.

Also BTW, I can't argue with anything Bo said so he will get a pass for wrong answers because his reasoning is sound and well thought out. But why no Twins?????

bojangalz » Posted 5/25/07 9:00:00PM

Posted by cowcatcher
But why no Twins?????

I've always considered myself a bit of a sports atheist. I've never rooted for the "home team". I never really understood the "we" mentality of sports fans, or the idea of cheering for a specific team simply because of proximity. I enjoy watching and following baseball. So it doesn't matter what team a specific player is on; if they play the game right I'm going to enjoy watching them.

Sure, there have been some Twinkies who I have enjoyed watching over the years. But I wasn't about to add them to the list or bump them up my rankings simply because they happen to play for a team that occupies the TV market I reside in. Just not my style.

When I was a kid, I cheered for whatever team Bonds was playing for. But if the team lost and he did great, I wasn't too disappointed. These days, I cheer for players who are on my fantasy team. No rooting interest in any particular franchise.

Adrenaline » Posted 4/4/09 2:45:00AM

Big Braves fan growing up and Chipper was my hero as a kid. I have an autographed picture of him on top of my fridge so sometimes when I get really shit faced, I will pause by the fridge while grabbing another brewski and tell him all about how I could have totally gone pro if it wasn't for (insert drunken excuse).

I miss the days of watching all of the Braves games on TBS.

Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

Posted by cowcatcher

My initial thought is to critique each of your picks and say why they should or shouldn't be your favorites(so stupid). This is when I realize I need to be in the "I'm Drunk" thread.

BTW Shawn gets bonus points for Don Mattingly, my favorite player ever, and Outlaw for naming Brewers because that's just smart.

Also BTW, I can't argue with anything Bo said so he will get a pass for wrong answers because his reasoning is sound and well thought out. But why no Twins?????

'

Besides Mauer, who really is there? Cant stand Puckett. Not really a Carew fan. Maybe Harmon thats about it

Ordep » Posted 7/8/07 9:23:00PM

Roberto Clemente (Hero)

Javier Vazquez (Ace for the local PR team, ace for the PR national team, was great with the Braves)

Jason Heyward (first swing, WELCOME TO THE SHOW!)

Vladimir Guerrero (No gloves, hits everywhere no matter pitch location)

Bernie Williams (switch hitter extraordinaire from PR)

Greg Maddux (Fuck velo, command and control)

Rickey Henderson (vroooooooooooom!)

Yadier Molina (DEFENSE! clap clap, DEFENSE! clap clap)

Roberto Alomar (2B Magic)

Joe Carter (his walk-off HR is one of my clearer childhood memories)

hotrodttt » Posted 8/25/07 6:56:00PM

1. Ken Griffey Jr
2. Coco Crisp
3. Barry Larkin
4. Bo Jackson
5. Larry Walker
6. Greg Maddox
7. Cal Ripken Jr.
8. Craig Kimbrel (my cousin)
9. Barry Bonds
10. Cecil Fielder

cowcatcher » Posted 1/16/07 1:02:00AM

Since I was surly drunk the other night when I posted in here I figure I should put my own list down. I only put in players I saw play.

1. Don Mattingly
2. Paul Molitor
3. Robin Yount
4. John Jaha
5. Ryan Braun
6. Rob Deer
7. Ben Sheets
8. Geoff Jenkins
9. Ken Griffey Jr.
10. Bo Jackson

Incidentally, I went to school and lived in a suburb where a lot of the Brewers lived so I grew up with a few of their kids. Pete Vukovich's son Lazo was a good friend of mine, my sister was in the same class as Melissa Yount, Jerry Augustine's son Todd and I played in little league together, the old manager Tom Trebelhorn's son Chris was in my class for half of the year each year(they lived in Oregon in the off season), and the weirdest one is Mandee Eckersly who was in my class through grade school because her mom married a guy named Rick Manning after her and Eck got divorced. Manning played for the Crew in the mid-80's but was a teammate of Eck's when he stole his wife before getting to Milwaukee.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]