MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Pennsylvania Athletic Commission Denies UFC Vet Donny Walker   [View Full Version]
postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

Link

The great state of Pa's athletic commission, and more specifically Greg Sirb, is apparently so impressed by Mark Cherico's skills that he won't approve a recent UFC veteran and experienced fighter in Donny Walker (14-9) to challenge him at PinnacleFC June 29th.

Let me make sure you read that right. The commission is saying that at 4-0, Mark Cherico is so dangerous that they won't even consider letting him fight a former (And recent) UFC vet because they think he (Walker) is over matched to the point where his health is a legitimate concern.

scoozna » Posted 1/25/07 12:53:00PM

Seems 'arbitrary' like he said. Can they appeal something like this, how does it work?

postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

I have no clue. Cherico has a buzz going around the city it would be great to see him step up in comp.

Svartorm » Posted 1/24/07 8:41:00PM

Biggest fight I can ever remember being denied by a commission was Butterbean vs Mark Hunt at the first Pride show in the US. On the basis that Hunt was overmatched. Yeah, you read that right.

Also, Vernon White was supposed to fight someone who was 0-3 I believe and commission wouldn't allow that.

Otherwise, this rarely comes up. They can, however, deny someone who has been KO'd repeatedly in the past against a heavy hitter. They do that in boxing frequently. Doesn't seem to be the case with Walker.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

Dude is a ex Ufc fighter. He will be alright

Goatenstein » Posted 4/27/12 11:03:00AM

Also, are the refs so bad that someone being beaten or choked to death is likely in the event of a mismatch?

KingCmb » Posted 3/19/09 8:18:00AM

i belive butter bean vs lyndon byers the old bruins enforcer got nixed because LB was over matched as well

ncordless » Posted 4/8/07 11:09:00PM

2 thoughts:

1. Could the mismatch really be that much worse than the one we saw in the last UFC main event?

2. Hong Man Choi vs. Jose Canseco

shaneTpain » Posted 7/30/11 2:57:00PM

WTF!?!?! I would be so insulted if I was Walker. "You cannot participate in this match sir... because we think you might ..... DIE."

JUST LET EM BANG BROOOOOOOOOO

[View Full Version of this Page]