MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Cheick Kongo removed from UFC's roster   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Another fighter appears to have been removed from the UFC's rosters. Cheick Kongo no longer appears among the active fighters on UFC.com.

Link

DrivenDavies15 » Posted 8/10/11 1:23:00AM

Wow kinda surprised but I understand at the same time.
Other than the Barry KO his fights over the last few years have been very unimpressive and at 37 years old I doubt he'll continue fighting.

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

^ I agree
Kongo doesn't have much more to offer

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

I am pissed about this. And Fitch
Guys that were with them during when Ufc popularity grew kongo been in the Ufc since 2005
For guys with long Ufc tenure. Let them fight at least another fight.

Svartorm » Posted 1/24/07 8:41:00PM

He already has another fight booked in England for June, so guess he's back on the horse straight away. He was likely released on the condition he could come back after a win or two.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Posted by Svartorm

He already has another fight booked in England for June, so guess he's back on the horse straight away. He was likely released on the condition he could come back after a win or two.

sometimes that's all a guy needs to gain a little confidence back

#2 UFC 112 Points
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

scoozna » Posted 1/25/07 12:53:00PM

I'm a bit surprised by this one. He's not much of a draw I suppose. Maybe his salary is costing the UFC more than he can attract.

BillsNewAccount » Posted 2/24/11 9:26:00PM

Posted by Svartorm

Damn, I was hoping Bellator or WSOF would pick him up. Kongo is not the best but there are very few good HWs. If you are over 6 feet tall and athletic you'll probably end up in a sport where you don't get punched in the face.

Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

I've always liked watching Kongo fight. He' s gnerally entertaining. But, he didnt have much more to offer in terms of making a run at a title. He would have continued to drop and become a gate keeper and bigger name for young up and comers to start out with. Hope he gets picked up somewhere else tho.

sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

I've have never really been a fan of Kongo but this news takes me by surprise.

airkerma » Posted 1/6/10 12:05:00PM

This is what happens when you're a kickboxer in the UFC who is horrible at kickboxing. His last match where he actually looked good was when he lost to Cain.

mrsmiley » Posted 4/12/07 4:37:00PM

I'm not surprised really but instead of letting him go out on a loss to BC why not put him up against an unknown or two, and either let him win or help establish new names in the division.

Svartorm » Posted 1/24/07 8:41:00PM

What I'm hearing via twitter is that he wasn't cut, but it was the last fight on his contract and UFC didn't want to renew it, probably because he makes 70k/70k. They're probably letting him see what the free market is like before offering him significantly less money to re-sign.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

tallica62 » Posted 6/22/07 2:18:00AM

Yup. He looks scarier than his abilities...glass chin and no ground..but I'd run the other way just at the sight of him

Posted by tallica62

Yup. He looks scarier than his abilities...glass chin and no ground..but I'd run the other way just at the sight of him

he looks like a Guy Ritchie character

#2 UFC 112 Points

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]