MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Georges St-Pierre All But Closes the Door on Anderson Silva Superfight   [View Full Version]
jjeans » Posted 9/2/09 6:06:00AM

The idea of UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre moving up a division to face middleweight titleholder Anderson Silva in a superfight has been kicked around for years. It’s a promotional dream, but St-Pierre on Tuesday all but closed the door on the possibility of fighting Silva… at least in the near term.

The 31-year-old Canadian appeared on UFC commentator Joe Rogan’s latest podcast, The Joe Rogan Experience, and said he’d likely face Johny Hendricks next.

St-Pierre had cleared out the 170-pound division before suffering an ACL injury that required surgery and extensive rehabilitation while preparing to face Nick Diaz at UFC 143. The knee injury sidelined the champion for 19 months, and new contenders emerged in his absence.

“I need to do stuff in my division before I take (a superfight) because it has moved now,” said St-Pierre.

LINK

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

jjeans » Posted 9/2/09 6:06:00AM

This answers 2 questions:

GSP Will not fight Anderson Silva at any weight other than 170
GSP Walks around at 190.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

i just dont see why silva doesnt go upto lhw. its been obvioua for a long time there is no one in that division. minus weidman. who even according to alot of people still would lose

with that being said i hope weidman wins

Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

GSP will never fight him as mentioned many times before he has never gave any indication besides a far fetched comment that he is interested in fighting Silva.

bigrand826 » Posted 4/29/11 7:01:00PM

What?!?!?!? This is a stunner!!

Oh, wait...

As long as there is anyone even remotely worthy of a title shot, GSP will chose to stay at WW. He makes calculated decisions and I do not see anything changing that. I do not really blame him, I just never bought into the notion that he wanted that fight.

Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

Ohhhh You dont say....NO shit.

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Can they stop bringing it up then? Either make the fight or give Hendricks the shot he's been waiting a long time for. I'm sick of hearing about it. Just when you think the talks are over Dana or some mma news site brings it up again.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

Gsp vs Benson probably will happen next year

warglory » Posted 2/4/07 2:44:00AM

People need to quit hounding this guy. He clearly is not interested in this fight.

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

I think he should stay at WW...why is that do bad, Jones vs Silva is the Superfight now anyways...make that happen! Then Silva can stay at LHW and Jones can move on to HW...situation solved.

roadking95th » Posted 1/17/07 2:43:00PM

Matt Serra took a lot out of him

[View Full Version of this Page]