MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Jeff Curran hopes drop to flyweight can lead to one more crack at UFC   [View Full Version]
FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Some would say what Jeff Curran is embarking on is ambitious. Others might call it downright nuts.

Link

pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

In spite of reading that entire article, I still don't understand how the "Big Frog" can make flyweight. If he can do it safely, perhaps it is a good move... I'd like to see him in the UFC either way though. I think if 125lbs doesn't work out, he'd still be a decent gatekeeper at Bantamweight.

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

His best weight class was Featherweight. Continuously dropping weight isn't going to help him.

I understand why he's doing it. He's frustrated because he loses the same way every time. Guys take him down and hold him down, don't do much, and avoid submissions. Obviously Eduardo and Faber are exceptions.

But let's not forget that he was handling Faber before he got caught. He talks about that fight all the time. Little mistakes he made that changed the entire direction of his career. If he would have done this or that differently, and he'd gotten the choke, how different things would be now.

To me though, the similarities in his losses just means he needs to work on a hole in his game (wrestling) and change his style a bit. His passive aggressive guard based jiu jitsu style was great when there were no time-limits, but now it just leads to a bunch of lost decisions. He needs to work on takedowns (to get on top) and take down defense (so he can work his boxing.)

Even though I'm skeptical, I hope this works.

[View Full Version of this Page]