MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > MMA General > UFC Forum
Fights to make after UFC on FOX 7   [View Full Version]
Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Ben Henderson - Dana said it at the end of the post fight press conference. The winner of TJ Grant and Gray Maynard is getting the next shot and that sounds good to me. I hope Grant wins.

Gilbert Melendez - He looked much better than I thought he would. I had to eat my words and I now believe he's top 5. There are two different ways I would like to see him go. Either is fine with me. The first is a drop to Featherweight and the second is a fight with Jim Miller

Daniel Cormier - He didn't have an overly impressive debut but he got the job done. I think he has a similar situation to Gil. I want to see him either try out Light Heavyweight or fight Big Country (If he beats Kongo)

Frank Mir - He might not have many fights left in him. He's still a top 10 Heavyweight though and he posses a difficult challenge to anyone in the division. I'd like to see him fight Stefan Struve next.

Josh Thomson - I didn't see that coming. Thomson made a statement being the first to knock Nate Diaz out and proved he belongs at the top of the division. I think a fight with Diego Sanchez or Jim Miller would be a good next step.

Nate Diaz - He's talking about moving back to Welterweight but I don't see him doing well there at all. Too many powerful wrestlers there. I'd like to see him fight the Rafael Dos Anjos/Evan Dunham loser.

Matt Brown - Another impressive win for Brown. He's on a streak that no one would have predicted a couple of years ago. I think he's earned a big fight. The Mike Pyle/Rick Story winner sounds about right.

Jordan Mein - I was really hoping Mein would win. I think he has a lot of potential. Mike Swick would be a fun fight for him.

Chad Mendes - He's never looked better in his mma career. I think he has a real shot at ruling the Featherweight division whenever Aldo decides to move to Lightweight. Mendes needs a step up though. I think he should fight Edgar if he beats Oliveira.

Darren Elkins - No shame in losing to Mendes but I thought he would have put up a better fight than that. I think Robbie Peralta is a good rebound fight for him

Francis Carmont - Honestly, I think he lost his last two fights. Despite being on a 5 fight win streak I don't think he should have too big a step up in competition. The Ronny Markes/Derek Brunson winner makes sense to me.

Lorenz Larkin - He wasn't that impressive but I think he deserved the nod. He at least deserves another fight. Nick Ring would be a good fight.

Myles Jury - He has looked awesome since TUF. I'd like to see him fight tougher competition. The Edson Barboza/John Makdessi winner would be good.

Ramsey Nijem - He'll probably never reach the top of the division but he's still an entertaining fighter with a lot of options. I'd like to see him in there with Ryan Couture.

Joseph Benavidez - It's hard to picture him fighting anyone but the Mighty Mouse/John Moraga winner. He's too much for anyone in the division except the champ.

Darren Uyenoyama - Darren took a beating against Joey B. He needs to work on his striking if he wants to be champ. Ian McCall is who I want to see him fight next.

Jorge Masvidal - He had a good performance against Means. He'll be a great addition to the division. I think a fight with Anthony Njokuani would be awesome.

Tim Means - His win streak has been put to a halt. He seemed too content to fight off his back and needs to work on his takedown defence. Daron Cruickshank needs an opponent.

T.J. Dillashaw - He's proven with his last few fights that he's going to be a force in the division. I think he needs a step up. Raphael Assuncao has looked great lately. I think those two match up well.

Hugo Viana - Chico Camus seems to be in the same boat as Hugo. I think they match up perfectly.

Anthony Njokuani - Jorge Masvidal

Roger Bowling - I liked what I saw from him. Hopefully they keep him on the roster. Terry Etim is in a rough position. They would match up well.

Yoel Romero - That flying knee was awesome. At Middleweight Romero packs a ton of power. Tor Troeng would be a good fight for him.

Clifford Starks - Starks is in a rough position. One more loss and he's definitely gone. Michael Kuiper is also in a tough spot, I think that would be a good fight.

Playground_Samurai » Posted 1/28/07 4:36:00PM

Ben Henderson - Grant/Maynard winner

Gilbert Melendez - Either the loser of Grant/Maynard or the loser of Miller/Healy.

Daniel Cormier - Winner of Henderson/Evans.

Frank Mir - Struve does sound like an interesting match up.

Josh Thomson - Jim Miller if he beats Healy. If not then the winner of Dunham/RDA.

Nate Diaz - Lauzon at LW or Swick at WW

Matt Brown - Winner of Shields/Woodley

Jordan Mein - Loser of Story/Pyle

Chad Mendes - Edgar if he beats Oliveira. If not the the winner of Siver/Swanson

Darren Elkins - Loser of Lentz/Dias

Francis Carmont - Markes/Brunson winner

Lorenz Larkin - Urijah Hall or loser of Leben/Craig

Myles Jury - Chiesa

Ramsey Nijem - Iaquinta

Joseph Benavidez - winner of Johnson/Moraga

Darren Uyenoyama - Cariaso

Jorge Masvidal - Varner

Tim Means - Bowling.

T.J. Dillashaw - Assuncao

Hugo Viana - Caraway

Anthony Njokuani - Pearson

Roger Bowling - Means

Yoel Romero - Winner of Natal/Camozzi

Clifford Starks - cut

State_Champ » Posted 6/11/07 4:16:00PM

Ben Henderson - Jose Aldo

Gilbert Melendez - Joe Lauzon

Daniel Cormier - Lyoto Machida

Frank Mir - Fabricio Werdum

Josh Thomson - Gray Maynard

Nate Diaz - Jorge Masvidal

Matt Brown - Nick Diaz or Erick Silva

Jordan Mein - Martin Kampann

Chad Mendes - Frankie Edgar

Darren Elkins - Hatsu Hioki

Francis Carmont - Tim Boetsch

Joseph Benavidez - Demetrious Johnson

Darren Uyenoyama - Chris Cariaso

Anthony Njokuani - Myles Jury

Myles Jury - Anthony Njokuani

CroCop37 » Posted 11/1/11 1:42:00PM

Hendo - Maynard/ Grant winner

Melendez - Dos Anjos/ Dunham winner

DC - Glover Teixeira

Frank Mir - Alistair Overeem

Thomson - Nurmagomedov/ Trujillo winner

Nate Diaz - Joe Lauzon

Matt Brown - Koscheck or Kampmann

Jordan Mein - Thiago Alves

Chad Mendes - Aldo/ Pettis winner

Elkins - Guida

Carmont - Hector Lombard

Larkin - Uriah Hall

Jury - Rustam Khabilov

Nijem - Tim Means

Benavidez - John Moraga

Uyenoyama - Timothy Elliott

Masvidal - Cerrone/ noons winner

Dillashaw - Michael McDonald

Hugo Viana - Bryan Caraway

Njokuani - Mark Bocek

Bowling - Thiago Tavares

Yoel Romero - Josh Samman

Starks - Marunde

Rabi » Posted 1/25/07 6:35:00PM

Budge - Terry Etim was cut

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Posted by Rabi

Budge - Terry Etim was cut

Awh damn. I forgot about that. How far he's fallen... Not sure who I'd replace him with. Maybe Rob Sinclair should make his debut against Bowling.

UFC_Fanatic » Posted 10/2/08 10:22:00AM

Ben Henderson - Grant/Maynard winner

Gilbert Melendez - I too, would be interested in Melendez at 145. If he can make the weight, which I think he probably could, then that would be my ideal place for him to go. Still, I do like the idea of Melendez/Miller

Daniel Cormier - Winner of Henderson/Evans or Machida. Either of those would be good for me.

Frank Mir - I got to say, you're spot on Budge, Struve sounds like a really good fight to make.

Josh Thomson - I like giving him Diego Sanchez. That sounds like an entertaining fight to make.

Nate Diaz - I'd like to see him cut to FW if he can make the cut without too much difficulty. But given that he seems to want to go back to WW, then how about maybe giving him Erick Silva. For some reason I'm kinda digging the idea of giving him Gunner Nelson too. Not sure if it's really a natural next step for either guy though. If he stays at LW, why not Masvidal?

Matt Brown - The more I think about it the more I like the idea of giving him Robbie Lawler. I just think that fight has fireworks written all over it. Another one I really like is giving him Siyar.

Jordan Mein - I like the idea of giving him Thiago Alves. If my memory serves me right I don't think Koscheck is matched up with anyone, so I think that could be a good fight.

Chad Mendes - Edgar if he beats Oliveira. I'm not sure who else I'd give him because it's starting to become pretty clear that he beats anyone not named Jose Aldo

Darren Elkins - Loser of Lentz/Dias

Francis Carmont - Lombard sounds kinda good. Also kinda like the idea of Palharres.

Lorenz Larkin - Uriah Hall does sound pretty good.

Myles Jury - I think he has earned a step up in competition. This may be a little bit much as far as a step up, but I'm thinking maybe match him up with Sotiropolous. Reza Madadi might be good too.

Ramsey Nijem - Not really sure who to give him. Ryan Couture maybe?

Joseph Benavidez - winner of Johnson/Moraga

Darren Uyenoyama - Cariaso sounds great.

Jorge Masvidal - I like maybe Dunham/RDA winner. Varner also sounds good.
Another one I really like for him is Sam Stout.

Tim Means - Bowling sounds good. Another one I like is the Makdessi/Barboza loser.

T.J. Dillashaw - Assuncao sounds good.

Anthony Njokuani - I don't know if it's necessarily an appropriate match up as far as rankings within the division or any of that, but I'm really liking the idea of matching up him and Gomi. Gomi is a decent step up imo, but I like the match up stylistically. Another one I like, and probably more appropriate is Paul Taylor.

Roger Bowling - Means sounds good. Or perhaps Tony Ferguson. I don't believe Ferguson has a fight lined up at the moment.

Yoel Romero - Winner of Natal/Camozzi actually sounds pretty good. What the hell ever happend to Tim Credeur? I haven't heard or seen anything from him in forever as far as I can recall. If Credeur is still around why not give him Credeur.

Rabi » Posted 1/25/07 6:35:00PM

Credeur retired years ago

UFC_Fanatic » Posted 10/2/08 10:22:00AM

Posted by Rabi

Credeur retired years ago

That makes sense. Now that you mention it though I do vaguely remember reading something about that forever ago. Well, now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

GDPofMPG » Posted 2/22/08 6:29:00PM

Edgar vs Melendez is the fight I want most. Before Henderson got his first shot at Edgar, Melendez was lobbying for that fight and I thought he was the more worthy candidate without hesitation. Strikeforce ended up staying in business for another year and the fight never happened. Judgeing by the respect Melendez was getting around here going into yesterdays fight I'm going to make the assumption that a lot of people didn't know he was a wrecking ball in japan at 143 pounds in the early years of his career. He gave Takaya his first loss out there and got a big upset of Sato. He was the Number 1 ranked Featherweight in the world in 2005 heading in to 2006 before he moved to 155 in Strikeforce. Edgar vs Melendez is a big fight and would set up a Melendez Showdown with Aldo or Pettis should he win.

also

Posted by CroCop37

Thomson - Nurmagomedov/ Trujillo winner

Love this idea.

aussiemma » Posted 1/27/12 10:34:00PM

No offence to mike Pyle, but Matt brown has paid his dues and deserves a big name. I like the sound of shields/woodley. But honestly those two sound like a bad match up for him being elite wrestlers. He should be on the cusp of top 10 for ww now.

Give Mein loser of head v catone. Although he has a lot of mma experience, he needs more experience in the shark tank known as the UFC.

Mendes is a freakin beast, I say one more win and give him the shot. Loser of Korean zombie v lamas or Edgar. I personally think he would destroy Edgar though. Maybe Koch when he comes back ??

Mir v Struve sounds fun. Cormier vs travis Browne is the go I think.

GDPofMPG » Posted 2/22/08 6:29:00PM

Posted by aussiemma

No offence to mike Pyle, but Matt brown has paid his dues and deserves a big name. I like the sound of shields/woodley. But honestly those two sound like a bad match up for him being elite wrestlers. He should be on the cusp of top 10 for ww now.

Give Mein loser of head v catone. Although he has a lot of mma experience, he needs more experience in the shark tank known as the UFC.

Mendes is a freakin beast, I say one more win and give him the shot. Loser of Korean zombie v lamas or Edgar. I personally think he would destroy Edgar though. Maybe Koch when he comes back ??

Mir v Struve sounds fun. Cormier vs travis Browne is the go I think.

Mike Pyle and Matt Brown would be an absolutely awesome fight. Both were 2012 Fighter of the Year candidates. Pyle was and might be ranked higher still today after his three consecutive baller status KO wins, reality is brown is good but he was around #30 to #20 before beating Mein and Pyle was already #20 to #10. I'd rather see that good matchup over just throwing a so called "name" to brown. It is a meaningful matchup to make. I think Brown has earned a big fight with a guy like Pyle.

Also would very much like to see Nate Diaz vs Edson Barbosa. I know Barbosa has a fight, but just in general I think that would be a good logical fight to book today.

[View Full Version of this Page]