MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > MMA General > General MMA Talk
The "In their prime" grand prix   [View Full Version]
Boo_Radley21 » Posted 7/19/07 12:28:00AM

Alright think of these guys at the best points in their careers that you can remember and lets see who wins

Remember its not your most recent memory of these guys its your best memory

Mark Coleman
vs
Rampage Jackson

Randy Couture
vs
Shogun Rua

Kevin Randleman
vs
Andrei Arlovski

Chuck Liddell
vs
Mirko Cro Cop

Mark Coleman
vs
Randy Couture

Kevin Randleman
vs
Mirko Cro Cop

RD 2

Randy Couture
vs
Kevin Randleman

Randy Couture

Hmmm...As I made the Brackets I didnt think about winners. Sort of disappointing gota say

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

Round one:
Mark Coleman vs Rampage Jackson - Jackson KO

Randy Couture vs Shogun Rua - Shogun KO

Kevin Randleman vs Andrei Arlovski - Randleman UD

Chuck Liddell vs Mirko Cro Cop - Mirko KO

Round two:
Shogun Rampage - Shogun KO
Mirko Randleman - Mirko KO

Round 3:
Mirko Shogun - Shogun Sub

The reason mine is different is because Prime Page could wrestle and Randy even in his prime was a 50/50 fighter especially against guys who could clinch and had KO power.

Rabi » Posted 1/25/07 6:35:00PM

Mark Coleman vs Rampage Jackson - Rampage

Randy Couture vs Shogun Rua - Shogun

Kevin Randleman vs Andrei Arlovski - Arlovski

Chuck Liddell vs Mirko Cro Cop - Crocop

Rampage v Shogun - Shogun
Arlovski v Crocop - Crocop

Shogun v Crocop - Crocop

postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

Mark Coleman
vs
Rampage Jackson

Randy Couture
vs
Shogun Rua

Kevin Randleman
vs
Andrei Arlovski

Chuck Liddell
vs
Mirko Cro Cop
-----------------------------------------------------
Page
Shogun

AA
CC
--------------------------------------
Shogun
CC
--------------------------------------------
CC

Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

Mark Coleman vs Rampage Jackson
-Mark Coleman
Randy Couture vs Shogun Rua
-Shogun Rua
Kevin Randleman vs Andrei Arlovski
-Andrei Arlovski
Chuck Liddell vs Mirko Cro Cop
-Chuck Liddell

Round 2
Mark Coleman vs. Shogun Rua
-Shogun Rua
Andrei Arlovski vs. Chuck Liddell
-Chuck Liddell

Final
Shogun Rua vs. Chuck Liddell
Chuck Liddell

In his prime he was tough. His first round match up was tougher than anyones. If he wouldnt have fought Cro Cop in round one, they probably would have been in my finals against each other (PS this was clearly back when he had a chin)

Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

i always wanted to see CC vs Chuck, even now i think it would be a great fight & the ufc could give them both one last hurrah

Coleman vs Rampage = Rampage

Couture vs Rua = Rua

Randleman vs AA = Arlovski

Liddell vs CC = CroCop

Rampage vs Rua = Rua

AA vs CC = Crocop

Rua vs CC = CroCop

Boo_Radley21 » Posted 7/19/07 12:28:00AM

In hindsight yea prime Shogun would tune Randy on paper but hes crafty as shit so you never know.

I was surpised nobody picked Randleman he was pretty good in his day

postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

In hindsight yea prime Shogun would tune Randy on paper but hes crafty as shit so you never know.

I was surpised nobody picked Randleman he was pretty good in his day

he may have took aa down. I thought it was a tough fight

fullerene » Posted 5/31/07 3:28:00PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Alright think of these guys at the best points in their careers that you can remember and lets see who wins

Remember its not your most recent memory of these guys its your best memory

Mark Coleman
vs
Rampage Jackson

Randy Couture
vs
Shogun Rua

Kevin Randleman
vs
Andrei Arlovski

Chuck Liddell
vs
Mirko Cro Cop

Mark Coleman
vs
Randy Couture

Kevin Randleman
vs
Mirko Cro Cop

RD 2

Randy Couture
vs
Kevin Randleman

Randy Couture

Hmmm...As I made the Brackets I didnt think about winners. Sort of disappointing gota say

Coleman crushes Rampage, taking him down easily and pounding on him for as long as the fight lasts. Coleman is a weight class above him, probably with 20 pounds of weight and less bodyfat and a much stronger wrestler. Coleman's run through the 1st Pride GP is a "prime" that not many people can match.

Shogun over Couture by movement and angles, but if he plays around too much, particularly throwing flying knees into Couture's chest, then he may lose by getting tied up and worn out. Tough one to call, but Randy seemed to win by bringing out the worst performances in his opponents and the Shogun of 2006 didn't have those types of fights.

I'll take Randleman over Arlovski. Even the prime version of Randleman could be submitted by a blue belt and even the prime version of Arlovski was at risk of being KOd by anyone above MW. I think Randleman connecting is more likely, probably after eating quite a few shots from Arlovski and being behind in the fight.

Mirko should beat Liddell pretty easily. It's a similar story to Coleman over Rampage: Mirko is bigger and he is better at the style they both like to fight. Liddell has a better chin, but I don't like his hands down style against a guy who can flash a fight-ending high kick out of nowhere.

Coleman over Couture in a similar match to what went down in college. Coleman is just a bit bigger, a bit stronger and faster at switching levels in his prime. Couture is a better boxer if it goes that route, but I doubt that it does.

I think Cro-Cop beats Randleman more times than not, but it's really unfair to Randleman that there was never a rubber match between the two. It was pretty obvious that Japanese fans wanted to see the guy with the high kicks go on to bigger and better things rather than throw another wrestler into the top echelon of fighters. Given their quick wins over each other, I could see this going almost any way--KO by either guy, sub by either guy, decision by either guy. Cro-Cop's strength in his prime, besides the obvious, was defending against telegraphed double leg attempts and that was how Randleman chose to attack most of the time. Crocop probably only has to defend three or four of those before he has a chance to connect and end Randleman's night.

Couture over Randleman. I think we saw what was close to a prime vs prime matchup for them and I think most fights between them would play out the same way. Randleman does well early but doesn't have finishing technique. He gets tired later and Randy goes to work once he gets the advantage.

jjeans » Posted 9/2/09 6:06:00AM

One night tournament?

Mark Coleman
vs
Rampage Jackson

Randy Couture
vs
Shogun Rua

Kevin Randleman
vs
Andrei Arlovski

Chuck Liddell
vs
Mirko Cro Cop

Rampage
Randy

AA
CC

Rampage
CC

CC

However originally I had Coleman on Roids winning the whole thing

Dirty Blue

GDPofMPG » Posted 2/22/08 6:29:00PM

Mark Coleman
vs
Rampage Jackson Winner

Randy Couture
vs
Shogun Rua Winner

Kevin Randleman
vs
Andrei Arlovski Winner

Chuck Liddell
vs
Mirko Cro Cop Winner

Rampage Jackson
vs
Shogun Rua Winner

Andrei Arlovski
vs
Mirko Cro Cop Winner

Shogun Rua Winner
vs
Mirko Cro Cop

No wrong answers for a question like this, but if you said a name other than Shogun .... you're wrong

warglory » Posted 2/4/07 2:44:00AM

Mark Coleman
vs
Rampage Jackson

Randy Couture
vs
Shogun Rua

Kevin Randleman
vs
Andrei Arlovski

Chuck Liddell
vs
Mirko Cro Cop

-----------------------------

Rampage vs. Coleman
Winner: RAMPAGE

I can't believe how many people picked Coleman to go so far. The dude was a solid wrestler, but he had TERRIBLE stand up. If you want to know how this fight would go down, watch Randleman vs Rampage, except a quicker beatdown as Rampage wasn't in his prime yet.

Randy Couture vs. Shogun Rua
Winner: SHOGUN

This would be a fairly close fight I think, but Shogun's striking acumen would be too much for Couture to handle.

Randleman vs Arlovski
Winner: RANDLEMAN

Arlovski has always been at his best against guys with inferior striking skills who think they can stand with him. Randleman was very good at closing distances and locking up, and I think he'd do that repeatedly to earn a UD.

Liddell vs CroCop
Winner: CROCOP

Not even a close fight. Liddell was good for a brawler, but he would be picked apart by a far superior striker, back when CroCop hadn't yet lost his fire. And because Liddell always stands with everyone, he could play right into CroCop's strengths. KO loss for Liddell.

ROUND 2

Rampage vs. Shogun
Winner: SHOGUN

We saw what Shogun can do to Rampage, and it certainly wasn't an accident. Rampage matches up terribly against aggressive muay thai Brazilians.

CroCop vs Randleman

These guyss have fought twice, with the first being a fluke. CroCop can stop Randleman's take down style all day, and can deliver the goods.

ROUND 3

CroCop vs. Shogun

Let's face it, this was a gimme tourney for CroCop with the individuals picked. Shogun is a damn good striker, but he does not equal what CroCop can do. CroCop is designed up pick apart aggressive fighters and timid fighters equally with his ranged and close quarter striking abilities, and Shogun isn't a good enough counter boxer to fire back at CroCop. This would be a firey UD victory for CroCop.

Tourney Winner: MIRKO CROCOP

Posted by jae_1833

The reason mine is different is because Prime Page could wrestle and Randy even in his prime was a 50/50 fighter especially against guys who could clinch and had KO power.

I think you sell Randy short. He tooled Randleman, Van Arsdale, Coleman and Ortiz, and was beating Barnett badly before he got caught, and was beating a much larger Lesnar in the clinch before he once again got caught.

Goatenstein » Posted 4/27/12 11:03:00AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by jae_1833

I think you sell Randy short. He tooled Randleman, Van Arsdale, Coleman and Ortiz, and was beating Barnett badly before he got caught, and was beating a much larger Lesnar in the clinch before he once again got caught.

Beating Barnett badly? Ever seen the fight? He struggled immensely for one TD and then got schooled.

Posted by Goatenstein

Posted by warglory

Posted by jae_1833

Beating Barnett badly? Ever seen the fight? He struggled immensely for one TD and then got schooled.

Uhhh, no. Watch the fight again. Randy easily took Barnett down and was on top the entire first round, landing some major moments of gnp. Barnett got worked for most of the round. Second round was mostly more of the same until Barnett reversed.

[View Full Version of this Page]