MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Darren Elkins steps in for Clay Guida, meets Chad Mendes at UFC on FOX 7   [View Full Version]
grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

After his Saturday win at UFC 158, Darren Elkins was looking for a Top 10 opponent. The UFC will oblige him, and then some – and in a hurry.

Elkins (16-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) stopped Antonio Carvalho (15-6 MMA, 2-2 UFC) this past weekend with a first-round TKO to improve to 5-0 as a featherweight – the first fighter to attain such a mark in the UFC...

Link

sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

Elkins is in deep in this one. Mendes takes this fight easily just not sure how he wins it.

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Staying busy

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

I wonder if they will choose to bang and avoid the wrestling altogether or if they will engage on the ground, if they choose to do tye later then I think Mendes will take the decision.

SmileR » Posted 12/17/07 8:56:00PM

This is a tough, tough fight for him! Major props for stepping up on short notice!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

DrivenDavies15 » Posted 8/10/11 1:23:00AM

Posted by SmileR

This is a tough, tough fight for him! Major props for stepping up on short notice!

Elkins is a true warrior and I don't think people should count him out so quickly just yet. He has proven himself against mid tier competition at FW, and it wouldn't surprise me if this was a competitive fight.

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Always happy to see fighters step up Mendes could be his trophy win if he manages to pull it off.

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Tough fight for Elkins but props to him for stepping up. Huge opportunity for him. He looks better every time we see him and a win over Mendes would shoot him up the rankings.

BillsNewAccount » Posted 2/24/11 9:26:00PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Always happy to see fighters step up Mendes could be his trophy win if he manages to pull it off.

I like to see fighters step up too but this is silly. I'm reminded of when Story was close to a title shot and took the Spaniard on short notice. Story looked like garbage and is still out of title contention.

What's worse is I can imagine Clay being in title contention if he beats whoever his next opponent is, who will almost undoubtedly be an easier fight then Mendes.

JLS1980 » Posted 6/6/12 1:54:00PM

Posted by Budgellism

Tough fight for Elkins but props to him for stepping up. Huge opportunity for him. He looks better every time we see him and a win over Mendes would shoot him up the rankings.

Even though this is a big step up for Elkins he deserves it. Winner of 5 straight and looking better each time out. You've got to beat the best to be the best and Mendes is probably the 2nd or 3rd best 145er behind Aldo and possibly Edgar.
Winner of this fight should get a crack at the title or a shot at Edgar. I see Mendes being able to handle Elkins in a tough fight, most likely a Decision.

airkerma » Posted 1/6/10 12:05:00PM

Posted by SmileR

Should be a good scrap, but at least there will be a scrap instead of no scrap at all.

Kpro » Posted 1/27/07 9:53:00PM

Elkins saves the card from being scrapped!

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

I called this the min after Elkins won on sat

[View Full Version of this Page]