MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Tyron Woodley vs Jake Shields likely for UFC 161   [View Full Version]
Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

A welterweight matchup between onetime welterweight title challenger Jake Shields (27-6-1 MMA, 2-2 UFC) and Tyron Woodley (11-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) is in the works for this summer, sources told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

The fight is being targeted for a yet-unnamed event, likely UFC 161, on June 15 in Canada. A host city is not yet finalized.

Woodley recently called out Shields upon signing a new UFC fight contract, which followed his impressive first-round knockout of Jay Hieron in his promotional debut at UFC 156.

LINK

UFC 151: Never Forget

sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

I'll be rooting for Woodley in this one. Hoping for another highlight reel KO

frizzzlecake » Posted 5/25/12 8:57:00PM

Fun scrap, I give woodley the edge in three rounds.

JLS1980 » Posted 6/6/12 1:54:00PM

As good as Woodley looked against Hieron, I think Shields is a huge step up and will be a tad bit to much for Woodley. I smell Decision all over this fight, Not FOTN by any means.

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

Posted by sparky

cant agree more. i like woodley's progression lately.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

I thought event would go to Canada again since Aug is in Brazil.

Don't know who will main event.
May be flyweights

shaneTpain » Posted 7/30/11 2:57:00PM

Posted by sparky

infestructure » Posted 1/18/12 9:29:00PM

Sick matchup, Woodley is too strong for Jakes LnP

Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

Pretty sweet match up. I've never been a fan of Shields. I'd like to see Woodley finish him. That would make Shields 1-3-1 in his last 5 fights. This could be a must win for Shields, maybe that will change his mindset going into the fight. We are either going to see a real aggressive Shields that wants to finish it to keep his job, or we will see a passive fighter who doesnt want to get finished and is trying to milk out a UD. Plus Shields just failed a drug test during his last fight. A loss would not be good news for him.

BillsNewAccount » Posted 2/24/11 9:26:00PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Pretty sweet match up. I've never been a fan of Shields. I'd like to see Woodley finish him. That would make Shields 1-3-1 in his last 5 fights. This could be a must win for Shields, maybe that will change his mindset going into the fight. We are either going to see a real aggressive Shields that wants to finish it to keep his job, or we will see a passive fighter who doesnt want to get finished and is trying to milk out a UD. Plus Shields just failed a drug test during his last fight. A loss would not be good news for him.

Shields has looked like garbage since his Dad died. If he doesn't get the fight to the ground quickly he's done but with that said if Shields does get him down I could see him tapping Woodley. I can't imagine a wrestler like Woodley could work off his back.

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Posted by sparky

as much as it pains me to say it, I agree

[View Full Version of this Page]