MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Dan Henderson: “(Lyoto Machida) Did a Good Job Not Fighting”   [View Full Version]
mrsmiley » Posted 4/12/07 4:37:00PM

Hendo speaks

Dan Henderson felt he did enough to get the decision nod against Lyoto Machida in the co-main event of UFC 157: Rousey vs. Carmouche on Saturday. Ultimately, he lost to Machida by split decision.

“In my mind, I thought I did enough to win the fight, but it was my fault. I don’t place the blame on the judges. I should have been a little bit more aggressive. I let him fight his fight a little too much,” said Henderson during the post-fight press conference.

isk » Posted 12/5/07 12:38:00PM

Incomplete sentence. Should read, "He did a good job not fighting my fight."

As much as I love Hendo, he's simply the latest fighter who was unable to solve the Machida puzzle box. No shame in that, as he's only been beaten decisively by 2 men in the UFC, and they're both former champions. Hell, if you count the Rampage decision, that's still a 3rd former titleholder.

It was a terrible style matchup for Hendo, made compelling thru his indomitable spirit and potential for one-punch violence. Just didn't pull off the miracle this time.

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

Posted by isk

Incomplete sentence. Should read, "He did a good job not fighting my fight."

Didn't Machida do what Guida did vs Maynard? Back away, circle around and throw a strike here and there? One loses and gets hate, the other wins gets applauded

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Not the same thing Bubbles.

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

it takes two to tango or something like that... goddammit this fight was supposed to be exciting.

On a basic level, yes, but there are some subtle and important differences to me.

1) Striking

Machida landed with 50% striking accuracy overall. He also countered effectively, especially with those bonecrushing knees. They hurt Hendo more than he admitted, partly because he's tough as boot leather. Most other LHWs would've been dropped or hobbled. His punches were crisp and accurate. I would've liked to have seen more, but he landed some good shots against an opponent whose craftiness and durability are legend.

On the other hand, Guida barely landed any counters at all, and his striking accuracy was an atrocious 14%. He had to throw 7 strikes for every 1 that landed. His inside leg kicks are equal to a rolled up towel snap - maybe weaker, because a good rat tail will draw blood. And lest we forget, Maynard gave Guida his chin late in R4. Guida didn't take the time to square up properly and land some bombs, no - even against a stationary target, his punches were merely glancing.

2) Grappling

Machida had a nice trip in R1, and he defended most of Dan's takedowns. I'm actually crediting him with defending all of them, as the only time Dan was on top was after a Machida slip.

Guida? 0 for 3, and he gave up a takedown to Maynard.

3) Movement

Machida's movement is very calculated and precise. He doesn't get on his bike, he doesn't waste energy, he just has a way of avoiding almost anything thrown at his head while looking for the counter. He's also good at getting his arms up for deflection. There's really been only one time someone's managed to clip him with a strike upstairs, and that was with a brilliant, uncharacteristic overhand right from Shogun (who tends to prefer the lead right hook or an uppercut). While Machida's totally susceptible to leg kicks, his movement wasn't impeded last night.

Guida has constant movement, sure, but it wastes so much energy and it was outright fleeing at times during the Maynard fight. It's really all but running away until the other guy gets tired, then jumping on that guy's back when he's gasping for air. I mean, I give him credit for having a lot of heart and a crazy gas tank, but it's nowhere in the same league as evasive.

==============

I'm not gonna go out and call Machida / Hendo a great fight. It wasn't. What it was, however, was a struggle against 2 evenly skilled, stylistically different champions that sometimes works out this way. I'm not a nuthugger of either guy, right, and I certainly don't hate Guida. But these were different fights.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

What a fucking let down
That god the girls gave fans a good fight

A little more fuel to this fire. Lyoto fires back -

"I think he was just frustrated after the fight," Machida said. "But really, if I didn't fight, then what happened to his face?"

imanidiot777 » Posted 1/22/08 12:25:00PM

Posted by isk

A little more fuel to this fire. Lyoto fires back -

"I think he was just frustrated after the fight," Machida said. "But really, if I didn't fight, then what happened to his face?"

Absolutely love it.

Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

Oh Lyoto those were just the old bruises from the Shogun fight.

[View Full Version of this Page]