MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Bjorn Rebney: We are not going to sign Jon Fitch   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
jjeans » Posted 9/2/09 6:06:00AM

The UFC released Jon Fitch yesterday and the belief was that he could likely land in Bellator and speculation started that he could end up fighting in Bellator.

However, Bellator MMA Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney told TheMMAReport.com that they will not be signing him.

“I have a lot of respect for Jon [Fitch] and I have a lot of respect for anyone who has to courage to do what these guys do and the athletic ability to do what they do but we are not going to be signing Jon Fitch,” Rebney said prior to Bellator 90.

Fitch is considered one of the top welterweight fighters in the world and had a UFC record of 14-3-1. However, he has gone 1-2-1 in his last four fights which led to the UFC deciding to part ways with him.

Bellator’s welterweight division is one of the deepest divisions currently in Bellator and Rebney wants to continue the development of the fighters that are currently under contract with his organization.

LINK

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

I will bump this next month when he does.

SmileR » Posted 12/17/07 8:56:00PM

Thats because he'd ruin Askrin. Hieron too him to a seriously close SD Fitch would break him in two and then they'd have a champion who couldn't beat GSP leaving their WW devision pointless.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

kopower » Posted 7/3/07 12:31:00AM

Posted by Shawn91111

I will bump this next month when he does.

Exactly.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

WSOF is going to be stacked by next year.

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

Posted by SmileR

Thats because he'd ruin Askrin. Hieron too him to a seriously close SD Fitch would break him in two and then they'd have a champion who couldn't beat GSP leaving their WW devision pointless.

man i think you hit the nail on the head. well put

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

I really hope wsof signs a lot of these guys
Rebney gotta be trippin not sign a top fighter at his weight class in the world.

Boo_Radley21 » Posted 7/19/07 12:28:00AM

Posted by tcunningham

Posted by SmileR

man i think you hit the nail on the head. well put

Copenhagen » Posted 4/16/07 12:41:00PM

Posted by SmileR

Bingo.
Dana already stated his plans: let Fitch go destroy a smaller org's WW division, then come back to the UFC with a ton of hype.
Rebney must've read Dana's comments.

Tyzzler » Posted 1/27/09 10:52:00PM

Posted by jjeans

The UFC released Jon Fitch yesterday and the belief was that he could likely land in Bellator and speculation started that he could end up fighting in Bellator.

LINK

No way! You've got to be kidding me? ...belief was he would "land in Bellator" but now we have breaking news that it is "speculated he could end up FIGHTING in Bellator"? Damn that's some crazy to-the-minute reporting of breaking news there! After all, many of us believed he would end up in Bellator as that is the 2nd tier MMA organization to UFC at this point...but actually "fighting for them!" Are you sure, double-check your sources before I cream my pants over this insane revelation!

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Posted by Copenhagen

Posted by SmileR

Bingo.
Dana already stated his plans: let Fitch go destroy a smaller org's WW division, then come back to the UFC with a ton of hype.
Rebney must've read Dana's comments.

Yeah, I tend to agree. It's funny since Bellator keeps taking jabs at the UFC for being more geared toward entertainment, while they are more focused on the sport aspect. It was a fair point at the time, but if you pass on a top 10 WW before you even try to negotiate with them, then it's difficult to stand by that statement. I think the UFC knew what they were doing when they cut him. Unfortunately for Fitch, he's just a pawn IMO.

Michael_Corleone » Posted 4/7/11 11:08:00PM

If Fitch is interested in signing with Bellator and they don't sign him, I cannot take Bellator's WW Division seriously. To me it sounds like Bellator posturing to get Fitch on the cheap.

On the flip side, what makes Bellator think that Fitch is interested in signing with them? Fitch is very business savvy, and you have to believe he has paid close attention to how this whole Eddie Alvarez situation has played out. Would Fitch risk putting himself in that same situation knowing he would have to go through all that BS if he wants to go back to the UFC later on?

40ouncetofreedom » Posted 3/29/09 4:31:00PM

Fitch and the UFC will probably work something out and he'll be back, A lot of the smaller orgs as you guys have said, May not want their top guy losing to Fitch or guys in even smaller orgs may not want to fight a guy of Fitch's caliber.

I'm a Fitch and general AKA fan, but Fitch was dominated by GSP, I highly doubt another fight would be any different, When your bread and butter is your wrestling and the other guy wrestlefucks you what changes can you make ?, Fitch in all honesty with GSP at the top will never be 170 champ, he drops 2 out of his last 3, So i guess in a sense it's a fresh start for him,Still a top 10 WW but IMO a guy who as long a GSP is king wasn't going to be a champion, So smaller orgs or possibly a weight change...Could be a good thing.

Or Rebney may not be just wanting to so called be going after Dana's scraps soo soon....I think he's bluffing.

Dberntson » Posted 6/16/09 12:09:00PM

After King Mo's performance last night, Bjorn may be looking for a new big name. Fitch may not be exciting, but he is a big name. Plus Askren needs a test as he demolished the last tournament winner.

airkerma » Posted 1/6/10 12:05:00PM

Posted by Tyzzler

Posted by jjeans

LINK

No way! You've got to be kidding me? ...belief was he would "land in Bellator" but now we have breaking news that it is "speculated he could end up FIGHTING in Bellator"? Damn that's some crazy to-the-minute reporting of breaking news there! After all, many of us believed he would end up in Bellator as that is the 2nd tier MMA organization to UFC at this point...but actually "fighting for them!" Are you sure, double-check your sources before I cream my pants over this insane revelation!

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]