MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Jacob Volkmann released from the UFC following UFC 156 defeat to Bobby Green   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
SmileR » Posted 12/17/07 8:56:00PM

Jacob Volkmann is now an ex-UFC fighter as the 32-year-old was released by the organization today (Feb. 19, 2013) following third-round submission defeat to Bobby Green at UFC 156 earlier this month. "Christmas" fought 10 times under the UFC banner, going 6-4 with notable victories over Danny Castillo, Efrain Escudero and Shane Roller.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

Wow...wasn't expecting this. I won't lose sleep over it, though.

Guessing he ends up with WSOF.

SmileR » Posted 12/17/07 8:56:00PM

Posted by emfleek

My first thoughts too.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by emfleek

My first thoughts too.

Same here.

sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

Kind of surprised with the UFC's decision to let christmas go

Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

Posted by sparky

i get the hunch they didnt like him or his speeches much & were looking for any reason to drop him

UFC 151: Never Forget

FlashyG » Posted 2/13/08 10:33:00AM

Posted by sparky

Now we'll never get to hear his victory speeches.

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Kinda disappointed. He was usually easy points. but seriously.. He looked real good against Shane Roller before running into Green.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

Saw Xmas fight 4 times live. That's enough for three lifetimes

Sir_Karl » Posted 9/7/07 9:27:00PM

Good riddance.

isk » Posted 12/5/07 12:38:00PM

Volkmann's a solid fighter who took advantage of a move to 155 in a way a lot of fighters who change weight fail to do. He's not a control-focused, position-oriented grappler, either - he always looks to pass and sink in chokes, and he's actually got a pretty good chin.

His downfall was two-fold - one, his mouth, and two, his lack of an aggressive guard. I don't think he should've kept his political views to himself; I think, in a business of entertainment, Christmas should've been smarter and more entertaining when expressing those views.

Take Chael P. Sonnen. His quote about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in relation to Republicans was brilliant. I disagree with a lot of Sonnen's political views, but I'll hear him talk about 'em because he's funny and intelligent.

I'm not saying Volkmann could've been a contender, or that he's lost without the UFC. He's got options. If nothing else, he can put more time into his chiropractic business and coaching wrestling (at least while a program's still around). But I think it's a case study in the value of personality in MMA.

airkerma » Posted 1/6/10 12:05:00PM

I'm actually a bit flabbergasted on this one. Yes, his speeches were annoying, but how do you cut a guy who went 6-2 since hitting LW? Like others said, he wouldn't ever be fighting for a title, but 99% of fighters in the UFC won't either. I think this is an idiotic cut, no matter what the reason.

Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

Shocked. He's not the biggest name and hes never going to be a top contender. But hes had a good record at LW. Pretty surprised. Oh well. Poor move by the UFC IMO

Dberntson » Posted 6/16/09 12:09:00PM

Bad move in my opinion. He still could beat half of the light weights in the UFC. He's a solid gate keeper to the top 20. At his age, maybe a run at the Bellator tournament or he could just retire. Going 6-4 in the UFC isnt a bad career, especially considering two of them were against welterweights, including a top 5 in Kampmann.

jjeans » Posted 9/2/09 6:06:00AM

He's a solid gatekeeper IMO. Solid, you know what he's going to do everytime he goes out there, no real suprises, if you can't handle that you shouldn't be facing any wrestlers in the Octagon anytime soon and if you don't get taken-down then your wrestling is ready for top tier division wrestlers.

Sucks to hear him cut even though his style was so boring he had his place in the UFC.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]