MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Evans ahead of Weidman to become next MW contender   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Just 2 days before Rashad Evans' next fight, Dana White adds an extra incentive to the bout. If Evans wins against Lil Nog, he'll be given the option of of challenging Anderson Silva for the Middleweight belt.

Link

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

It seems the best way to earn a title shot is to fight in a different division.

Just laughable to me.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

i knew this would happen

weidman is getting the hendricks treatment

BelXavier420 » Posted 11/22/08 5:34:00AM

Awesome, I'm not aboard the Weidman train quiet yet and think Evans could give Silva a decent fight.

SmileR » Posted 12/17/07 8:56:00PM

Posted by BelXavier420

Awesome, I'm not aboard the Weidman train quiet yet and think Evans could give Silva a decent fight.

Me either! Weidmans record doesn't scream number one contender.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

emfleek » Posted 11/18/07 4:54:00PM

Such a crock of shit. At least win a single fight in the weight division.

UFC_Fanatic » Posted 10/2/08 10:22:00AM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by BelXavier420

Me personally, I think Weidman should have to fight one more top ten guy before he gets the shot. That said, Evans has no business whatsoever in my opinion, of getting the title shot ahead of Weidman. It's not a question of whether or not he is elite enough to warrant the shot, as we all know, he is an elite fighter. The thing is that he hasn't earned a shot within the division he would be challenging for the belt in. Maybe it's just me and my wild and crazy ideas, but I think you should have to, oh, I don't know, actually have at least one fight in the division before you get a shot. In my opinion, it takes away from the integrity of the sport, and it makes it feel more like the wwe than an actual sport where title shots are earned rather than just given.

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

What's this shit now?

What is the logic behind this move? Weidman is the guy that should be fighting for the Belt next. Evans, if he decides to move to MW, needs at least 1 fight in the division before he fights for the belt. But I guess this is the new normal

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by BelXavier420

yet its still more deserving than Evans based on his track record in the division

postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

im fine with its a far better fight. For those who say he needs to prove himself at 185 did you forget the depth of 205?

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

this could be a really interesting matchup. it is weird how fighters are jumping weight classes straight into title fights these days, but evans being a former champ and a top 5 LHW, i do think he deserves this shot. i will be happy to see him OR weidman fight silva. if this is what it takes to test silva and keep him from taking bullshit fights like the Bonner fight than i'm good with it.

BelXavier420 » Posted 11/22/08 5:34:00AM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by SmileR

Posted by BelXavier420

yet its still more deserving than Evans based on his track record in the division

I was debating that but I think the fact that Evans has held a ufc belt out weighs Weidman's MW record. Also Evans was a heavy weight during his TUF appearance so he already knows what it is like to drop a weight class.

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

Hahaha....Weidman has just got to be pissed! Poor bastard, he will just have to have another fight before he gets the title shot which is what I had thought heI needs anyways. How awesome would it be if Nog beat Rashad and they had nothing left to do with Anderson except to match him up with Le.

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

I see a lot of people swinging on Frankie's nuts but still bitching, I'm all for superfights

SmileR » Posted 12/17/07 8:56:00PM

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Posted by SmileR

Posted by BelXavier420

Me personally, I think Weidman should have to fight one more top ten guy before he gets the shot. That said, Evans has no business whatsoever in my opinion, of getting the title shot ahead of Weidman. It's not a question of whether or not he is elite enough to warrant the shot, as we all know, he is an elite fighter. The thing is that he hasn't earned a shot within the division he would be challenging for the belt in. Maybe it's just me and my wild and crazy ideas, but I think you should have to, oh, I don't know, actually have at least one fight in the division before you get a shot. In my opinion, it takes away from the integrity of the sport, and it makes it feel more like the wwe than an actual sport where title shots are earned rather than just given.

I kind of agree that you should fight in the devision you're challenging for the belt in but it happens in all combat sports all the time and I don't see how it takes away from the integrity of the sport.
Mayweather jumps classes constantly, same for Pacman, De La Hoya when he still fought and almost any boxer worth challenging for a belt will do it.
I don't see why the UFC can't let Evans fight for the belt when he's without doubt earned the right to move weights and be consider a contender.
Since he beat Bisping he's fought consistent top 10 opponents and beat them all except Jones.
Weidman has fought 1 guy in the top 10 at MW and he's ranked 9th.
Maia who's now a WW fought Weidman and was ranked 9th, 10th or not at all by the majority of lists when they fought.
In all seriousness Belfort is probably the number one contender at MW after beating Akiyama (Not ranked top 10), Johnson (Ranked average of 8th moved up to LHW), Lost to Jones at LHW on 2 weeks notice and then came down and KO'd Bisping who was overall ranked 3rd or 4th at MW.

That aside the MW devision isn't exactly jam packed with contenders since Sonnen and Hendo moved up. So maybe they are trying to build up Weidman slowly since he's still relatively untested. Outside of him, Belfort, Evans (if he moves down) and Rockhold its hard to see a fight for Anderson they can realistically market. An Rockhold is only mentioned because he has the Strikeforce belt.

Evans is real threat he's quick, powerful, short and stocky wrestler who's held the LHW belt and went the distance with the champion a weight class above. I don't see why he can't be a number 1 contender and I don't get why people are going crazy over this.
Evans vs Anderson is 10x's the fight Weidman vs Anderson would be.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]