MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > MMA General > UFC Forum
Is anybody else pumped for Maia vs Fitch ???   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
LightsOUT23 » Posted 12/26/11 6:25:00PM

Hey guys,

Feb 2nd - Aldo vs Edgar is a great card, and this card is well stacked so it should produce some great competition.

The main event is a great fight, but I am more pumped for the Fitch vs Maia fight.

Since Maia dropped down to WW i think he's looked the best he has ever been. At WW i feel Maia is a new improved version of the Maia we saw when he fought as a MW. Maia has put together two very nice wins on the bounce against good opposition in Dong Hyun Kim and Rick Story.

I feel Jon Fitch is a tough fight for anyone and unlike some fans i love watching Fitch dominate his opponents by smothering them. His ability to out wrestle people mentally breaks them and you see this on their faces come the third round.

I see this fight as an interesting match up as i feel Fitch is so confident on the ground that Maia's BJJ will not phase Fitch at all, so i see Fitch approaching this fight pretty much like any other classic Jon Fitch game plan. With the criticism Fitch has taken in the past for not being a finisher, He certainly tried to finish Silva in his last fight so i see Fitch trying to get a stoppage in this one.

As for Maia, I believe he too is more than confident to go to the ground with Fitch and believes his BJJ can get the job done. Bj Penn showed us all that Fitch can be controlled on the ground with BJJ. If Maia has done his homework, he must of studied the Fitch/Penn fight in preparation on this one.

I would definitely Give the edge to Fitch in this fight, But i am rooting for Maia. This fight is Interesting to me because i am curious to see what type of approach Maia will take to this fight and what type of preparations he has made to deal with the relentless pace of Fitch when he smothers guys on the mat.

How do you guys think it will go down ... ???

Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

YES I am pumped for this fight. I have Maia taking it. He looks good at 170. Can't wait. Fitches controlling style could be nuetralized by Maia's dangerous Sub skills. I think it will be an exciting fight, with a potential for fight of the night. It is a solid card. Can't wait.

babalu46 » Posted 1/20/09 12:59:00PM

Your damn right i'm psyched for this fight I'm a massive fan of Fitch and I think he has an advantage in this fight purely from his cardio. The longer this fight goes the more I see it being Fitch's fight and i'm hoping Fitch keeps himself smart on the ground and doesn't get tapped otherwise he may never get another title shot.

This is a great fight and a great card though can't wait for this weekend

SmileR » Posted 12/17/07 8:56:00PM

I cant wait for this!! Fitch will dominate, rag dog Maia like he did Silva and then start his number 1 contenders case again. All while Hendricks sits on the sides sulking about Diaz getting the title shot.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

TheShaman » Posted 1/19/13 11:08:00PM

I think Maia threatening from the bottom may keep Fitch from capitalizing and keep him from completely dominating him (Fitch will have to work for control). I do think Fitch's control slightly outweighs Maia's offensive skills. If I'm wrong, I think it will be an early finish for Maia, but Fitch will have to stay vigilante to avoid a late fight submission because Maia can end it all the way to the end.

I think the wild card will be Maia's striking. I say it hasn't looked too shabby lately, and he might not be worried about take downs as much as some other fighters, so he can let loose with his hands.

Maia's ground work might actually turn out being a wild card, because it has surprised me in the past when I was reluctant to root for him. He might actually neutralize or match Fitch in the scrambles, turning it into an exciting fight by anyone's standards.

This was a hard prediction for me. I admire them both as fighters, but I'm not the biggest fan of either, so I haven't followed them as thoroughly as some other fighters.

LightsOUT23 » Posted 12/26/11 6:25:00PM

Here is a thought, Does anyone think that Maia may come out and try to stand with Fitch ? He tried that strategy for the start of his fight with Munoz, another great wrestler ???

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Unless Maia chokes out Fitch, not that pumped for it.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

Great fight for both men. Gotta go with Fitch.
But if maia wins by sub I'm willing to take a loss on my picks for it

JLS1980 » Posted 6/6/12 1:54:00PM

I'm pumped for this fight as well. Maia has looked great since the move to Welterweight. This fight is gonna or should I say should be very competitive.
Maia has a chance to win and I think that chance is via Submission. I do think Fitch is capable of staying out of trouble and winning the Decision here.

If things pan out right for Fitch with a win, GSP win over Nick Diaz, Rory MacDonald win over Condit and an Ellenberger win over Hendricks. I see Fitch getting the next shot. That could change of course if Hendricks does what he is favored to do and that's beat Jake Ellenberger. Either way as long as Fitch wins he will be very close to another title shot. However with this Division as stacked as it is a loss will set him back a great deal.

thevoodooninja » Posted 3/7/12 1:43:00PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Unless Maia chokes out Fitch, not that pumped for it.

this is why i am pumped for this fight. i think he will sub fitch

SpiderSilva » Posted 7/10/07 6:44:00PM

As Joe Rogan would say "there's bjj black belts and then there's damian maia black belt"

Fitch is going to sleep!

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

SmileR » Posted 12/17/07 8:56:00PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

As Joe Rogan would say "there's bjj black belts and then there's damian maia black belt"

Fitch is going to sleep!

Av bet?

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

State_Champ » Posted 6/11/07 4:16:00PM

Fitch.

And to think I used to find him boring.

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

Posted by State_Champ

Fitch.

And to think I find him boring.

FIXED!

aussiemma » Posted 1/27/12 10:34:00PM

im looking forward to this fight more than any other made so far for 2013.

Im tipping maia to take it. His stand up has improved out of sight over the years and his ground work and sub finishes are still the best in the division. (i mean who the fuck does that to rick story)

Anyone who wants to AV bet me, bring it !

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]