7 round fight between GSP/Diaz
Forum Opinion Poll
GSP still pulls out the UD 11 38%
Nick could steal the fight in the later rds 1 3%
GSP stops nick before 5 regardless 2 7%
Diaz wins either way 1 3%
Either outcome, Don King should retire 1 3%
Not happening Not happening Not happening 13 45%

Would the occasional 7 round Title fights be to much to ask?   [View Full Version]
MuayThaiGeek13 » Posted 12/28/11 3:18:00PM

While discussing with friends on the upcoming super-fight between GSP & Diaz, it comes as no surprise that the majority of people believe GSP wins another dominant French Canadian decision.

As much as i agree, I really feel that if this fight was a 7 rounder that the percentage of a different outcome increases.

The only reason i bring this up is because in boxing a bigger fight would have more rounds right?

idk stupid thought i guess, but i think Nick loses this fight 9/10 because of a time limit. if he had the chance to put his notorious cardio into play that fraction would surely change. Also, how many great 3 round fights could have been awesome 5 round fights (wand V bisping, Hendo V rich)? I think were partly being ripped off by time limits.

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

as much as i think GSP will get the UD no matter how many rounds, i went with "not happening". the athletic commissions have a rule about fighting a maximum if 5 five-minuet rounds in a single night and time limit of 25 minuets if i remember correct(feel free to correct me because i am not 100% sure). thats why we dont see tournaments anymore. i think you were kind of just speaking hypothetically, so i was just speaking in real world term. if they could fight a 7 rounder, i think GSP's cardio is just as good as diaz's if not better. i think georges is a better athlete than diaz could ever be. just my opinion.

EDIT: i tried to prop you but have to spread the love, anyway, good job on all the posts lately, very few new guys get this involved

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

I got you covered man...but I feel the same, with fighting we know it is a different kind of cardio than a triathalon/marathon. Your strength is getting sapped from a wrestler that is smothering you. Forcing you to fight more with less success also destroys the moral and can affect the mind that causes one to loom for a way out. Humans are naturally lazy and will take the easiest route if possible.

Thanks a lot. Both of you

Btw I went with gsp still winning.

jjeans » Posted 9/2/09 6:06:00AM

If the finish doesn't come in rounds 1 or 2 due to lactic acid build up it gets rarer and rarer for the fight to be finished.

The only times we've seen finishes in the 5th rounds, is Silva via Triangle, Randy due to submission (strikes) and BJ due to cuts.

Even the 4th round I can't think of many... Shogun and Edgar

After researching a little bit heres the UFC 2012 fight statistic

60 in Round 1 (57.7%)
33 in Round 2 (31.7%)
10 in Round 3 (9.6%)
1 in Round 4 (1.0%)
0 in Round 5 (0%)

The only thing adding 2 rounds would achieve is making both fighers even more conservative, I doubt GSP or Diaz have much between them in terms of cardio but I think if anything giving the 2 an extra 2 rounds would lessen the chance of a finish

Dirty Blue

sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

I'm personally not a fan of this idea. Shit I think 25 mins is to long of a fight sometimes

airkerma » Posted 1/6/10 12:05:00PM

Honestly I think title fights for FLY should be 7 rounds. Some of those fights are won on such a small difference in performance. They also have the gas to go longer than the other weight classes.

Fighters not being able to fight for more than 5 rounds would be the only logical reason for not doing it imo. And jjeans I'm not just talking about a finish. Although a finish would be nice, the 2 extra rounds make it where a fighter isn't able to relax in the 5th after winning rounds 1, 3 & 4 (for ex)

I would've loved to have seen machida V shogun 1 go for 7 rounds, as well as Diaz v Condit & others.

Also, I think shogun would have won a 7 round fight against Hendo. As brutal as that would be to watch. A LOT of fights would change if time limits were changed.

So many of these guys at championship level are so close that maybe tossing 2 more rounds into play would help separate #1 from everyone else. I mean, that's the point right?

postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

Posted by airkerma

Honestly I think title fights for FLY should be 7 rounds. Some of those fights are won on such a small difference in performance. They also have the gas to go longer than the other weight classes.

I agree. Please no HW 7rd fights

[View Full Version of this Page]