MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Is Pride Really Finished?   [View Full Version]
zephead » Posted 1/16/07 5:32:00PM

I just noticed a post on Zach Arnold's FightOpinion.com where he talks about an online Japanese blog that reveals some very telling facts about the current state of the Pride Fighting Championships.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

kcaulkins » Posted 5/20/07 9:46:00PM

Now im beginning to wonder how much i really liked the UFC buying PRIDE. At first it sounded totally awesome but it seems now as if they have just abandoned it. We have the best fighting the best now which is awesome but the UFC took a good thing a ruined it. Sometimes i wish it would have been PRIDE buying the UFC

zephead » Posted 1/16/07 5:32:00PM

A good thing? Pride was running its show into the ground. No TV contract. Organized crime allegations. I'm glad hat Pride didn't buy the UFC.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

-Virus- » Posted 4/15/07 3:20:00AM

Posted by zephead

A good thing? Pride was running its show into the ground. No TV contract. Organized crime allegations. I'm glad hat Pride didn't buy the UFC.

I agree that could have killed the sport

Primo » Posted 5/26/07 5:33:00PM

Posted by zephead

That's funny, because last time I checked PRIDE was still available on PPV, and their cards were 10x superior to the cards UFC puts on.

xthe_scottx » Posted 1/28/07 9:16:00PM

Posted by Primo

That's funny, because last time I checked PRIDE was still available on PPV, and their cards were 10x superior to the cards UFC puts on.

That doesn't change the fact that the company was losing money and had no chance at competing with the UFC in the US market. PRIDE would've died if the Fertitas hadn't bought it.

Primo » Posted 5/26/07 5:33:00PM

How many times has the UFC held cards in Japan with over 40,000 in attendance?? Oh that's right...never.

xthe_scottx » Posted 1/28/07 9:16:00PM

Posted by Primo

How many times has the UFC held cards in Japan with over 40,000 in attendance?? Oh that's right...never.

Do you remember how much money the UFC had lost before TUF, 44 million. Once PRIDE lost their TV deal they were losing money in Japan and the US was really the only place they could revive PRIDE. They couldn't compete with the UFC and would've went under if not for the buyout.

[View Full Version of this Page]