MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Gustafsson not waiting for title shot, could replace Henderson vs. Machida   [View Full Version]
FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Despite a dominant win over former champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in what was billed as a No. 1 contender's bout on Saturday, Alexander Gustafsson said he won't wait around for a title shot. And he may not have to.

Link

airkerma » Posted 1/6/10 12:05:00PM

I like that he wants to stay busy, but I really don't like his chances against Machida

shaneTpain » Posted 7/30/11 2:57:00PM

Posted by airkerma

I like that he wants to stay busy, but I really don't like his chances against Machida

100%

LuckyCharms » Posted 3/28/11 6:57:00PM

I believe Gustafsson wants to keep improving and learning after each of his fights to be better prepare to fight Jones. Some fighters improve better when fighting instead of training year around.

If Gustafsson can't beat Machida then he knows he doesn't stand a chance to beat Jones. So if Gustafsson loses, he will go back to the drawing board to find where his weakness is and improve that aspect.

All in all, if Gustafsson loses to Machida, it's a small trip than compare to losing to Jones and having to fight from the bottom to get back up to a title shot again.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Seems like everybody else wants to wait. He's still improving though and young, so no need to rush a title shot. I'd like to see the matchup because Gus seems to almost match Jones in size.

sbulldavid » Posted 3/8/08 5:44:00PM

I'd much rather see Machida vs Gustaffson honestly, I think Machida is the real number 2 guy behind Jones right now so lets see it.

isk » Posted 12/5/07 12:38:00PM

I think Machida beats Gustafsson, but Machida already had his shot and I haven't seen anything from him since that makes a rematch go much differently. If Gustafsson really needs another fight before Jones, set him against another quality guy like the Rashad/Nogueira winner or the Teixeira/Rampage winner. Big risk in either of 'em, I think feel he should wait for Jones (or Sonnen, if he shocks everyone in the world but himself and his marksman mom), but he's young enough to potentially make another run at the title.

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Posted by LuckyCharms

I believe Gustafsson wants to keep improving and learning after each of his fights to be better prepare to fight Jones. Some fighters improve better when fighting instead of training year around.

If Gustafsson can't beat Machida then he knows he doesn't stand a chance to beat Jones. So if Gustafsson loses, he will go back to the drawing board to find where his weakness is and improve that aspect.

All in all, if Gustafsson loses to Machida, it's a small trip than compare to losing to Jones and having to fight from the bottom to get back up to a title shot again.

Machida and Jones are totally different fighters. Even if he lost to Machida, that doesn't defacto mean he couldn't beat Jones.

I don't think he would beat either guy, I'm just saying that MMAath doesn't work.

In other words, I don't really have anything substantive to disagree with you about but I'm just kinda being a dick (realized this as I was writing my reply.)

BuffaloDave » Posted 8/14/11 9:31:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by LuckyCharms

Machida and Jones are totally different fighters. Even if he lost to Machida, that doesn't defacto mean he couldn't beat Jones.

I don't think he would beat either guy, I'm just saying that MMAath doesn't work.

In other words, I don't really have anything substantive to disagree with you about but I'm just kinda being a dick (realized this as I was writing my reply.)

I don't see that coming of as a dick, it's the truth, since Jones and Machida's styles are so different, MMAmath doesn't work there.

Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

I don't see that coming of as a dick, it's the truth, since Jones and Machida's styles are so different, MMAmath doesn't work there.

Well I guess I just realized that we both agree Gus would lose to both these guys. So while I had a point about the MMAth I was kinda splitting hairs by disagreeing.

Thanks for coming to my defense though (even if you were defending me from self-directed insults.)

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

I actually think Alexander will give machida fits. He's got a huge reach and pretty good takedowns

I'd pick him for a UD

[View Full Version of this Page]