MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Gilbert Melendez camp considering move to featherweight, negotiating with UFC   [View Full Version]
FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Saturday's title fight between Benson Henderson and Nate Diaz will not only impact the UFC's lightweight division, but possibly featherweight, as well. A Diaz win could mean a move to 145 for Gilbert Melendez.

Link

BuffaloDave » Posted 8/14/11 9:31:00PM

I think a weight cut to 145 for El Nino wouldn't be to hard.

Would love for his first fight to be against the Korean Zombie. I wouldn't know who to root for as i like both, but that would be a helluva fight, and a great first fight for Melendez in his UFC debut.

Copenhagen » Posted 4/16/07 12:41:00PM

I think he should drop down, regardless of Diaz's outcome, if he is able to make the cut.
Many sharks in the 155 division.
Although, hell, if Diaz loses I could see the UFC giving Melendez the next shot at 155 without him having to test the waters.

sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

I think a drop to 45 is the right move for Gilbert. Honestly I dont think he will fair to well in the UFC's LW division I could be wrong though

pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

I think Gil could be a contender at LW. He'd for sure be a contender at FW. I just can't wait for Strikeforce to die and for El Nino to storm into the UFC. (Sorry had to do it)

Pookie » Posted 4/8/07 11:48:00PM

5'9 with long arms and a wide upperbody. I think hed be a humongous FW. Personally i think hes already among the best at 155. I think thats the division his frame is meant for.

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

I think what he is really saying here is that there is no way he will ever fight either Diaz Bro, as they have all fought at LW.
I think it's really funny how Gracie indirectly discredited Melendez by talking about how Diaz will be his first champ. Shit same goes for Shields.

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

Posted by jae_1833

I think it's really funny how Gracie indirectly discredited Melendez by talking about how Diaz will be his first champ. Shit same goes for Shields.

not really. I think he said this before Shields fought GSP and he believes Diaz will beat Bendo this weekend. Melendez won't be in the UFC for a while and Shields is no where near a MW title fight

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

BillsNewAccount » Posted 2/24/11 9:26:00PM

I'd wait for Aldo to move up.

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by jae_1833

not really. I think he said this before Shields fought GSP and he believes Diaz will beat Bendo this weekend. Melendez won't be in the UFC for a while and Shields is no where near a MW title fight

Oh I get that, but Shields, Nick, and Gil have all been Champs in SF.....did he specify first UFC Champ?

kingsmasher » Posted 3/10/11 4:01:00PM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

I'd wait for Aldo to move up.

What do you mean by this? Like nobody can beat Aldo? Curious...

BuffaloDave » Posted 8/14/11 9:31:00PM

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by jae_1833

Oh I get that, but Shields, Nick, and Gil have all been Champs in SF.....did he specify first UFC Champ?

Yeah, Gracie said UFC champ.

Thanks Buff....+1

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

might be the only way into the ufc for him. they dont seem to be in a hurry to get him there as a LW. i think melendez is a little over rated but i think he'll be a great addition to the ufc whatever weight class he chooses.

[View Full Version of this Page]