MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Culinary Union asks Fox to pull Stephens from FOX 5   [View Full Version]
Pages: 1 [2]
grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Posted by FlashyG

The Website they advise the reader to check out "unfitforchildren.org" is created and maintained by the Culinary Workers Union Local 226. The petition that they reference was started and distributed by their parent organization Unite Here. The local union alone has over 60k members and they could only get 10k signatures on it so I don't really see it as support for their cause.

I can't believe how far this union will go to try and hurt the pocketbooks of the Fertitta's.

And New York fighters are just the collateral damage. The Culinary Union are no better than what they claim to be advocating against.

Sir_Karl » Posted 9/7/07 9:27:00PM

All this letter does is show how low, pathetic, vindictive and absurd the Culinary Union is. They need to find a hobby and get a life.

infestructure » Posted 1/18/12 9:29:00PM

Posted by FlashyG

The Website they advise the reader to check out "unfitforchildren.org" is created and maintained by the Culinary Workers Union Local 226. The petition that they reference was started and distributed by their parent organization Unite Here. The local union alone has over 60k members and they could only get 10k signatures on it so I don't really see it as support for their cause.

I can't believe how far this union will go to try and hurt the pocketbooks of the Fertitta's.

Lame isn't it? Haha I checked out that site, they have the funniest video down the bottom of the page about not buying UFC toys for kids. Thy actually put some time and money into it

airkerma » Posted 1/6/10 12:05:00PM

I absolutely despise politics and politicians, no matter what mask or what terrain. These types of people consistently alter the issue as much as they can to get a leg up while pushing someone else down, and more often than not, they bring someone down who is not even involved in their particular gripe. All they end up doing is coming across as hypocrites, as others mentioned, they didn't have an issue with other athletes from different sports.

telnights » Posted 6/21/07 4:17:00PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by FlashyG

And New York fighters are just the collateral damage. The Culinary Union are no better than what they claim to be advocating against.

This is very sad but true. Culinary Union has put in millions to trying to block the UFC every chance they get. But that money would have been better spent on the union itself or campaigning for better worker rights and insurance for it own people. Yet they rather hurt other people to try to force them in to their union.

Svartorm » Posted 1/24/07 8:41:00PM

Being as I'm an MMA writer and own a restaurant, the union actually contacted me personally about supporting their cause. Having spent time talking with them about the subject of homosexuals in MMA (which was their original beef with the UFC) I can say without any hesitation, they know NOTHING about sports.

Now they have a crusade against fighters with records, which is perhaps even more ridiculous. I can't shout out a percentage because I don't know, but MANY of the people involved in the culinary industry learned to cook in jail/prison. Especially in Vegas and NYC, there are job placement programs for convicts that put them into kitchens once they're back on the streets. They receive training in the prison/jail kitchens and are given Servsafe Certifications while behind bars, which makes them a shoe-in for entry level positions. Especially in Vegas, which is the rehab capital of the US, they should be careful about demanding action against people with criminal records or shady pasts.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

BuffaloDave » Posted 8/14/11 9:31:00PM

Posted by Svartorm

Being as I'm an MMA writer and own a restaurant, the union actually contacted me personally about supporting their cause. Having spent time talking with them about the subject of homosexuals in MMA (which was their original beef with the UFC) I can say without any hesitation, they know NOTHING about sports.

Now they have a crusade against fighters with records, which is perhaps even more ridiculous. I can't shout out a percentage because I don't know, but MANY of the people involved in the culinary industry learned to cook in jail/prison. Especially in Vegas and NYC, there are job placement programs for convicts that put them into kitchens once they're back on the streets. They receive training in the prison/jail kitchens and are given Servsafe Certifications while behind bars, which makes them a shoe-in for entry level positions. Especially in Vegas, which is the rehab capital of the US, they should be careful about demanding action against people with criminal records or shady pasts.

You should send a letter to Zuffa, explaining what you said here, to them.

Svartorm » Posted 1/24/07 8:41:00PM

I don't think anyone would ever read it honesty. Unless I had inside connections, no one of any clout would see it. Maybe I can get Front Row Brian to show it to someone.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

ncordless » Posted 4/8/07 11:09:00PM

The latest manifestation of the battle between station and the unions that 1) really has nothing to do with MMA, and 2) is nothing but bad for MMA.

Something has to give. MMA needs to get away from Station.

ncordless » Posted 4/8/07 11:09:00PM

Posted by Svartorm

I don't think anyone would ever read it honesty. Unless I had inside connections, no one of any clout would see it. Maybe I can get Front Row Brian to show it to someone.

I am sure they are aware. But what would they do about it? Try to get legislation passed that would require a criminal background check to be a food handler? No way that would get passed. They don't have the same leverage, because there is no third party to complain to. FOX isn't going to care that much about this latest political skirmish, but it is just one more drop in the bucket that will eventually overflow.

Pages: 1 [2]

[View Full Version of this Page]