MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Off Topic > Off Topic
I've had a sh*tty day but, what the f*ck has happened to manners!?   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
SmileR » Posted 12/17/07 8:56:00PM

I might be getting bitter in my old age or I might just be having a bad week but what the fuck has happened to manners!?!?

I've always thought manners reflect what kind of person you are, someone with no manners is usually someone I hate, someone who has manners I usually think is alright. I also think manners reflect how you're brought up so if a kid says please and thank you his parents get a from me.
I'm not talking table manners or the way you act with your friends I'm talking about simple things like thanking someone who holds a door.

I get that sometimes you're in a rush and don't have time to hold a door or run off without saying thank you to someone. A laps every now and then is fine, but recently its been grating against me how little respect or common courtesy people have for each other.

This week I've held the door for many people and I can honestly count on my fingers the amount that have said thank you. I've given up my seat on a busy train for an elderly man and had to ask people to move so he could get to the seat and been given the stink eye for doing it. This kind of stuff I'm used to and it usualy just washes over me without me giving it a second thought.

But today was the straw that broke the camels back.

I was on the late train home, the service only runs every 45 minutes and it was pretty quiet. I was sat listening to my music and noticed when the guy on the other seat stood up to leave. As he got to the doors I noticed that he'd left his phone, it was a brand new iphone 5 so I grabbed it and jogged after the guy. He was about halfway down the platform by the time I caught his attention and the train doors where closing. I told him he'd left his phone on the seat and handed it over.

I'd like to point out at this point I didn't expect him to drop to his knees and worship me like a golden god or even him to acknowledge I'd missed the train doors and was going to have to wait 45 minutes for another train. I just kind of expected a thanks or even a "I'm a moron for leaving it" kind of response.
However the guy just looked me up and down, snatched the phone looked at it turned it over a few times checking there was no damage. Then he gave me a look of disgust and turned to leave while mumbling "You best hadn't of dropped it."

This is when I kind of over reacted. I said without thinking "No need to thank me you asshole" and turned to walk away. The guy then turned back around and started having a go at me saying his phone was worth £600 and if it was damaged he'd "punch my teeth out".

I lost my temper and shoved the guy to the floor (I didn't punch him though) I flipped out and started shouting about how he could have just said thanks for returning his phone and he wouldn't look like such a bitch. But the guy just wouldn't shut up. He said he was going to sue me for assault and taking his phone!

This is the point I kind of went overboard, I started shouting "Sue me for what?! retuning your phone or you being an asshole?" He then tried to kick me in the legs and started trying to slap me so, and I'm kind of proud of this, I took the guys shoes and thew them over the track into a mashy field.
I didn't want to hit him back, he was about 5'4" and weighed about 140 I'm 6'1" and weigh about 180 but he was a short mess and I'm in quite good shape so there was no point beating up a chubby midget but I was so pissed off I wanted to either throw him under a train or choke him to death so I had to do something.

This guy was such an asshole he lost his shoes because he couldn't just say "Thanks for returning my phone".
But my point regardless of if you think I'm the asshole in this situation and I wouldn't blame you if you did, is what the fuck has happened to people!?
Why are they so bitter they can't say thank you or even smile!? Manners cost nothing and no one has them anymore!

Sorry for the rant and if you've read this far I've basically wasted a few minutes of your life. . . Sorry about that, but at least I was polite about it!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

jakewalters » Posted 1/14/12 12:02:00AM

Amazing story, that prick deserved it. What a fucking twat. Rock on brother. justice was served.

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

"You best hadn't of dropped it."

That guy is a piece of shit.

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

What a douche.

edit: the other guy, that is

Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

You honestly could have handled it better. Sure the guy was an asshole but you started it by shoving him when you could have left it at calling him and asshole

I agreed with everything you said about manners though. My son is 4 and overly says please and thank you to everyone from his family to strangers and such, its something my wife and I wanted him to know the importance of. He writes his own thank you cards for gifts and such. His cousin on the other hand is 7 and has never said thank you or please and its how he was brought up. I know of 3 of his relatives who stopped giving him gifts because he doesnt appreciate anything.

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

it's the era of technology, no one knows how to talk to anyone anymore. If you gave him your twitter address he'd probably tweet you a thank you rather than uttering 2 syllables. Plus today's younger kids have no respect and have the world given to them...then walk around with an entitled attitude and expects the world to revolve around them. Parents are to blame for this as well as they are lazier than ever (generally speaking) and don't parent like they did even 15 years ago.

That guy is scum and I'm happy to hear you did something about it. I'd probably just have called him a rude, ungrateful asshole and leave it at that.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

warglory » Posted 2/4/07 2:44:00AM

Karma will catch up with that dude, no doubt.

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

Smile

Your way more patient than me
I would have knocked the fucker out and pawned his phone

SmileR » Posted 12/17/07 8:56:00PM

Posted by Shawn91111

You honestly could have handled it better. Sure the guy was an asshole but you started it by shoving him when you could have left it at calling him and asshole

I agreed with everything you said about manners though. My son is 4 and overly says please and thank you to everyone from his family to strangers and such, its something my wife and I wanted him to know the importance of. He writes his own thank you cards for gifts and such. His cousin on the other hand is 7 and has never said thank you or please and its how he was brought up. I know of 3 of his relatives who stopped giving him gifts because he doesnt appreciate anything.

I'm kind of ashamed of the way I handled it looking back and if I could go back I would have reacted differently, but I'm just getting sick and tired of the attitude people have towards each other. All of this and I mean all of it could have been avoided with a simple thanks!

Its great to hear about your son though, its rare you hear kids say thank you now.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

infestructure » Posted 1/18/12 9:29:00PM

Manners are dying for sure. I blame the parents. I would have thrown his phone too.
When I was a kid on a trip to the states I went to Sam's club in Florida and was tasting all the free samples, the ladies who gave them out were so impressed by my manners they sought out my parents and told them what a good boy I was.
I really got the feeling that none of the local kids acted like that, and thats why they were so impressed. Maybe it's a big city thing.

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

Dude I'm damn glad you did what you did. That guy deserved every bit of it.

kopower » Posted 7/3/07 12:31:00AM

Common courtesy has gone out the window. I always say thank you, and am probably to overly nice. I've noticed I've become more rude to people, and speak out, if they're being stuck up or show attitude. You probably shouldn't have shoved the dude, but he f'n deserved it. Props to you for doing what I've wanted to do many times.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Smile

ghandikush » Posted 7/12/11 3:30:00PM

We all lose it sometimes just like we all act like that prick sometimes, no judgement. Honestly I have trouble being overly polite to family and friends, like directly polite. They typically do know I'm grateful though (or I hope). HOWEVER I am always trying to be courteous to servers and cool pedestrians who let me go first hold doors etc and try to hold doors etc.

Sorry about the generally socially insecure/ socially inept generation before you. I am one of them

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Smile

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]