MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Why Does Chael Sonnen Get to Fight Jon Jones? “Because He Stepped Up,”Says Dana White   [View Full Version]
prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

If you are a UFC light heavyweight fighter complaining about the recently announced Jon Jones vs. Chael Sonnen fight… talk to the hand.

The hand of UFC president Dana White, that is.

While many people, fighters and fans alike, have been perplexed at the UFC’s decision to slot in Jones and Sonnen as coaches for the next season of The Ultimate Fighter and then have Sonnen fight for the title in April of 2013, White has a simple explanation.

Timing.

Link

Manak » Posted 6/29/07 12:28:00PM

I dont like it but it makes sense to me, it was more than him just stepping up as white says in the article

tallica62 » Posted 6/22/07 2:18:00AM

$onnen $ells Ticket$

xtinax3 » Posted 11/16/09 1:13:00AM

Also besides Glover and Gustafson who else is there in the division who deserves a fight...so it's whatever. I don't want to see Jones fight Machida, Rampage, other people he's already beaten... Didn't read the article but its not that confusing to wonder why he gets to fight him.

Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

Whites a liar,plane and simple. This is nothing but ppv buys and tuf ratings, thats it.

OnyxShadow » Posted 1/22/08 3:28:00PM

He's going to lose resoundingly to Jones.

At least after that he can call out the current HW champion and offer to fill in when the challenger gets injured.

Chael Sonnen UFC HW Champion!

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Posted by OnyxShadow

He's going to lose resoundingly to Jones.

At least after that he can call out the current HW champion and offer to fill in when the challenger gets injured.

Chael Sonnen UFC HW Champion!

Cooler » Posted 6/7/10 4:11:00PM

Jones should have said no and waited for Hendo, Gustafson or Shogun and Machida rematches. This freak show fight thing is getting out of control.

ghandikush » Posted 7/12/11 3:30:00PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Whites a liar,plane and simple. This is nothing but ppv buys and tuf ratings, thats it.

Dont forget he's a boxig scumbag. Remember those. When the UFC was coming up White was happy to announce that we would have no freakshows like Japan and no nonsense rematches/money fights like "boxing scumbags"

but whatever this SPORT is a business...

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

This is a lame ass excuse....

FlashyG » Posted 2/13/08 10:33:00AM

Posted by bjj1605

It makes a better soundbite than,

I think Chael will give us higher TV ratings for TUF and will ultimately sell more PPV buys.

It certainly won't be a more competitive fight than almost any of the other contenders vs JOnes would make.

BigBadAl » Posted 6/18/09 8:26:00AM

Everyone know$ why this fight is being made.

Dana is trying to cover his ass but it's quite insulting as a MMA fan to think that he thinks we will buy his bull$hit.

Edit: Also this really takes away the legitimacy of a UFC title.

ghandikush » Posted 7/12/11 3:30:00PM

Posted by BigBadAl

Everyone know$ why this fight is being made.

Dana is trying to cover his ass but it's quite insulting as a MMA fan to think that he thinks we will buy his bull$hit.

Edit: Also this really takes away the legitimacy of a UFC title.

What you mean Jones beating 2 of Anderson's leftovers less efficiantly?

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by bjj1605

It makes a better soundbite than,

I think Chael will give us higher TV ratings for TUF and will ultimately sell more PPV buys.

It certainly won't be a more competitive fight than almost any of the other contenders vs JOnes would make.

Honestly I think a better excuse would be to say how well he did against Anderson Silva, another P4P great.

That's not a good reason either. Makes no damn sense for a MW to get a shot at LHW when he's coming off a loss and he has a horrible record at LHW.

But it's a better excuse than "he stepped up" because it at least SOUNDS like you are considering the legitimacy of the title rather than just $$$.

[View Full Version of this Page]