MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Off Topic > Off Topic
Anyone watching the live broadcast of Felix Baumgartner's Jump?   [View Full Version]
bojangalz » Posted 5/25/07 9:00:00PM

For those unaware a guy named Felix Baumgartner is attempting a free fall from 23 miles (about 120,000 feet) above sea level today. The previous record was about 108,000 feet back in 1960. Along the way he'll be the first human to break the sound barrier in free fall. He'll be in free fall for over five minutes and collect a bunch of scientific data along the way.

The live stream is underway. You can catch it here.

Some additional links... I've had trouble with the first one.

http://youtube.com/redbull

http://redbullstratos.com

bichez » Posted 5/24/09 2:53:00PM

Too windy, that sucks!

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

I had the feed up for the last couple of hours, while I was doing other things. Figures!

Yeah, I'm completely bummed. Sounds like today was their best chance to get the jump in as well. Tomorrow looks dicey, and after that it could be quite some time before they can get it done.

Man, it's just crazy to consider what an experience that would be. That due's a serious badass. It's impossible to wrap your head around what a jump from 23 miles away is like. There's just no way to process that information. Insane. Completely insane.

airkerma » Posted 1/6/10 12:05:00PM

I seem to remember reading he would break the sound barrier during the jump. I wonder how a sonic boom to the face feels?

Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

w/ the thin atmosphere, he was expected to go nearly 700 mph. It would be insanely difficult to maintain correct body position at that speed. I hope he gets to do it!

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

there is no air at that altitude or atleast very little. thats why he can break the sound barrier. he wont need body position at that speed/altitude because there is no wind drag.

Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

Posted by tcunningham

there is no air at that altitude or atleast very little. thats why he can break the sound barrier. he wont need body position at that speed/altitude because there is no wind drag.

but he does need correct body position to keep him from getting into an uncontrollable death spin.

airkerma » Posted 1/6/10 12:05:00PM

Once in a denser atmosphere maintaining position should be easy, shouldn't it? Your body would be forced into the position of least resistance and it would be difficult to break that position the faster you go/higher resistance you encounter...unless the fastest position is not the correct one, then yes it would be very difficult.
As for breaking the sound barrier, if he does it in a very low density air medium, the speed of sound will change, so perhaps he will break the sound barrier as we accept it, but if he does so at incredibly high altitude he should easily excede the relative sound barrier, as a decrease in medium density should decrease the speed of sound. Now this is becoming ambiguous and I have confused myself. Victory.

scoozna » Posted 1/25/07 12:53:00PM

Damn, that would've been cool. I hope he gets to do it at some point.

grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

Assuming he were to break the sound barrier at the same acceleration as a jet, the resulting sonic boom should be much quieter, since he would be producing very little noise relative to an engine.

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by tcunningham

but he does need correct body position to keep him from getting into an uncontrollable death spin.

uncontrollable death spin? that shit sounds awesome to watch.

[View Full Version of this Page]