MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Off Topic > Off Topic
An Amazing Story From World War II   [View Full Version]
warglory » Posted 2/4/07 2:44:00AM

I have never heard of this guy before today. Definitely someone who deserves more mention in the history books.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/10/the-man-who-volunteered-for-auschwitz/263083/

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

thats a very impressive story. the things that happened in WWII were nothing short of incredible. that generation was truly the greatest generation of all time IMO. i love reading about the stories surrounding the holocaust. it was a horrible time in the world but incredible people and their stories came from it.

if you havent read the book "NIGHT" by Elie Wiesel it is definitely a must read book.

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

I've never heard that story before, thanks Warglory

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Posted by tcunningham

thats a very impressive story. the things that happened in WWII were nothing short of incredible. that generation was truly the greatest generation of all time IMO. i love reading about the stories surrounding the holocaust. it was a horrible time in the world but incredible people and their stories came from it.

if you havent read the book "NIGHT" by Elie Wiesel it is definitely a must read book.

WW2 is pretty much the reason I became a History Major

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

KungFuMaster » Posted 5/17/11 11:13:00PM

I don't want to discredit this story but I like to bring up an issue regarding Poland and its role in WW II.

Poland claims many stories of courageous feats by its countrymen during WW II. Some of those stories have yet to be validated. Many people today have attacked Poland for its role in WW II - specifically, the concentration camps.

1. Polish authorities were the ones running the concentration camp(s).
2. Polish authorities claimed the German Nazis forced them to kill the Jews.
3. Post WW II - Nations ridiculed Poland for its role in the mass killings of the Jewish people.
4. Stories of many Polish countrymen saving many Jews started emerging from Poland.

We will never know what exactly happened in those concentration camps which were run by Polish authorities. I believe there were some brave Polish souls who risked their lives to save the Jews. I also believe there are fabricated stories concocted by the Polish authorities in attempts to save face.

Sorry, Warglory, for taking this thread into a new direction. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

Svartorm » Posted 1/24/07 8:41:00PM

That's actually true of many countries in the Eastern bloc, such as Latvia, Lithuania, etc. When your government is crushed by an invading force, sometimes people do the wrong thing thinking it's the right thing to save themselves and their families.

There are also stories of Jewish prisoners helping to kill other Jewish prisoners in death camps as well. Doesn't mean they're anti-semetic, but that their minds broke under stress and they did what seemed rational to them at the time. It really doesn't sound much different than Stockholm Syndrome.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

[View Full Version of this Page]