MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
UFC boss White confirms Matt Mitrione turned down Strikeforce fight with Daniel Cormier   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

NOTTINGHAM, England – Dana White thought he had Daniel Cormier's next opponent all set up. Instead, it was back to the drawing board.

Cormier (10-0 MMA, 7-0 SF) was scheduled to fight former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC) in about a month in Oklahoma City. But Mir dropped out with an injury, and White and the Zuffa brass went to work on his replacement.

White thought it was going to be Matt Mitrione (5-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) – but the UFC heavyweight turned down the fight earlier this week.

"It f---ing makes me sick," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Saturday following the UFC on FUEL TV 5 post-fight news conference. "Listen, you don't want big opportunities, I hear you. I get it, then. All I can say is, I guess he doesn't want big opportunities. I get it. Duly noted.

"He wants to fight a guy who weighs 205, but doesn't want to fight the guy who's the real heavyweight, the legitimate guy who's ranked. And Mitrione's not getting any younger."

LINK

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

let Chael fight him if no one else wants to

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Baby Dana gets butt hurt over everything.

TeamDEY » Posted 2/1/11 3:41:00PM

I don't understand Mitrione not taking this fight. He talked to Rampage about money but he won't fight Cormier for a lot of money. Makes sense.

BelXavier420 » Posted 11/22/08 5:34:00AM

Meathead, you disappoint me greatly.

jlock003 » Posted 9/18/07 5:33:00PM

I'm willing to bet he's in absolute terrible shape right now not having fought in so long and having had a few cancellations. He probably needs til December to get his lungs back where they need to be and face it De Fries will be an easier fight than Cormier. Mitrione just doesn't want to put himself in the stepping stone category just yet. That's my assessment anyway.

Boo_Radley21 » Posted 7/19/07 12:28:00AM

Dana is such a fifteen year old girl

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Roughly only a month to prepare.

I'm glad he didn't take it. I wouldn't want to see that.

Stick it to the Zuffa brass.

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Mitrione isn't ready for that imo

aussiemma » Posted 1/27/12 10:34:00PM

Posted by Budgellism

he's 34 years of age, if he aint ready for it now then he will never be ready. time is ticking.

sparky » Posted 7/5/07 6:21:00PM

Posted by Budgellism

I agree

Meathead in no way should be fighting a guy like DC especially if he cant come up with a game plan to beat Kongo.

I want to see DC tested by a legit UFC HW not a mid tier guy he's going to destroy

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by Budgellism

he's 34 years of age, if he aint ready for it now then he will never be ready. time is ticking.

He's also 5-1 with his biggest win against Joey Beltran.

aussiemma » Posted 1/27/12 10:34:00PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by Budgellism

so your point is the competition he has faced ? not doubting cormier in the slightest but he hasn't exactly fought the best of the best either.

mir was a perfect test to gauge where cormier would fit in the ufc, although mitrione is not as experienced or highly ranked he is still a good striker with a decent name and a good test nonetheless.

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by Budgellism

so your point is the competition he has faced ? not doubting cormier in the slightest but he hasn't exactly fought the best of the best either.

mir was a perfect test to gauge where cormier would fit in the ufc, although mitrione is not as experienced or highly ranked he is still a good striker with a decent name and a good test nonetheless.

Bigfoot > all of Mitrione's opponents. Then Cormier handled a top 10 in Barnett pretty easily. Mitrione is a huge step down in competition and really does nothing for Cormier besides having another fight. Why not send Kongo over instead? Bring back Jeff Monson or Todd Duffee as their fight was scrapped. Most of the relevant UFC HWs are tied up or just recently fought or suspended. Instead of bitching about Mitrione, bring in some outsider...it will do the exact same thing. Maybe Hershel Walker needs another paycheque

Mitrione at 34 doesn't mean a whole lot when he has only been fighting for a few years.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

JoeWarren33 » Posted 4/27/09 4:41:00PM

So UFC isn't a big opportunity? Now Strikeforce is where people want to be?

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]