MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Dana White: Chael Sonnen Could Find Way Into Jon Jones Fight if Fans Want It   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
kopower » Posted 7/3/07 12:31:00AM

TORONTO -- The fight business can be both crazy and cruel.

Jon Jones was somewhere in the bowels of the Air Canada Centre getting his injured left arm wrapped and put into a sling when the questions began about who might be next for the light-heavyweight champion.

With four successful title defenses, he's just one shy of tying Tito Ortiz's divisional record. So who might be the man he'll oppose in the fight that could send him into the history books next to Ortiz? How about the man who he briefly was paired up with at UFC 151: Chael Sonnen.

To be blunt, it's unlikely to happen right away. Sonnen, after all, is supposed to fight Forrest Griffin in December. And if he wins, well, UFC president Dana White knows what is likely next.

"He’s going to call out Jones, there’s no doubt," he said. "He’s very good at ... everybody talks about him talking his way into fights, but you know that guy’s going to show up to win."

Jones didn't want to face Sonnen the first time it was proposed to him, but White seemed to believe his stance has changed, saying, "I can tell you right now I think they both want that fight. I just think there's other fights that make sense."

The obvious one is Dan Henderson. He was queued up to face Jones when a knee injury knocked him out of his title opportunity. White seemed to indicate he would probably move back to the front of the line when he's healed up, but didn't outright confirm it.

The issue might be further complicated by the still-undetermined injury Jones suffered at UFC 152. He said afterward that doctors thought it could be nerve damage, but he won't know for sure until he returns home and sees doctors, according to his manager Malki Kawa.

Given the UFC's demanding schedule and the injuries in play, that means that the door is open just a crack for the possibility that Sonnen finds his way into the match he originally wanted. According to White, it is ultimately up to the fans.

"People do want to see it," he said. "I don’t know. Who knows? People do want to see it. If enough people do want to see it, I guess I’d have to make it."

Link

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Lucas » Posted 2/5/07 9:28:00AM

Jones would win by destruction so there really is no point IMO

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

Jones > Anderson IMO

Chael you better bring your A game against Jones. No spinning back fists trips. As much as I dislike Jones and like you its undeniable Jones is extremely dangerous any where the fight goes.

Retire Forrest then focus on Jones

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Posted by george112

Jones > Anderson IMO

Chael you better bring your A game against Jones. No spinning back fists trips. As much as I dislike Jones and like you its undeniable Jones is extremely dangerous any where the fight goes.

Retire Forrest then focus on Jones

Theoutlaw08 » Posted 3/23/11 3:38:00PM

They should just let it happen. Let them beat the piss out of eachother and give the fans a PPV worth paying for....

ghandikush » Posted 7/12/11 3:30:00PM

Suck it everyone! Who told you it would possibly only take one fight?! THIS GUY! Anyway welcome to the era of pure politics.

Sonnen has the same snowballs chance that Rampage had.

Posted by Theoutlaw08

They should just let it happen. Let them beat the piss out of eachother and give the fans a PPV worth paying for....

Sonnen has to be able to take Jones down or reach him whatsoever to beat some piss.

State_Champ » Posted 6/11/07 4:16:00PM

I have no interest in Sonnen vs Jones.

I'll watch, because I like to watch fights, in general. But I'm not really hoping for it to happen at all.

meier » Posted 1/15/07 6:25:00PM

Im more interested in hunting down some five alive than watching the next ufc on fuel tv card.

KingCmb » Posted 3/19/09 8:18:00AM

Posted by meier

Im more interested in hunting down some five alive than watching the next ufc on fuel tv card.

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

if the ufc let the fans vote on it i would definetly vote YES. it would draw lots of PPV buys. lets put it together.

Posted by tcunningham

if the ufc let the fans vote on it i would definetly vote YES. it would draw lots of PPV buys. lets put it together.

Why?

kopower » Posted 7/3/07 12:31:00AM

I still think its gonna take 2 wins for Chael. There is still Hendo and Machida waiting in the wings. Only way I possibly see Sonnen getting the fight, is if Machida beats Hendo, and Dana doesn't want to see the rematch with Jones. We'll see though. Like Dana said, Sonnen will be demanding a shot at Jones if he beats Forrest.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Chael_Sonnen » Posted 5/25/10 12:40:00PM

Posted by ghandikush

Suck it everyone! Who told you it would possibly only take one fight?! THIS GUY! Anyway welcome to the era of pure politics.

Sonnen has the same snowballs chance that Rampage had.

This GUY??? You mean GIRL - - - stop pretending to be a dude Lauren.

Focus on your school work sweetie.

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

I have no interest in seeing this fight except as a late injury replacement.

Sonnen has a terrible record at LHW, he's coming off of a loss, and he hasn't even won a single fight since moving back to the division.

A win over Forrest Griffin does not a title shot earn (like my Goldberg-esque sentence structure??)

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]