MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Is Michael Bisping Becoming a Fan Favorite?
Forum Opinion Poll
Yes! 17 30%
No! 30 54%
Don King is a Fan Favorite! 9 16%

Is Michael Bisping Becoming a Fan Favorite?   [View Full Version]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Cooler » Posted 6/7/10 4:11:00PM

Posted by moob

Amongst the names he's beaten, I'd say Leben, Stann and Hamill stand out, but I feel its not as black and white as that, as he's done pretty well against the upper echelons which deserves credit IMO.

You've lost all credibility by saying he has a win over Hamill with a straight face.

Do you think we have all forgotten the worst decision of all time?

bigrand826 » Posted 4/29/11 7:01:00PM

Posted by LightsOUT23

No love for Bisping ...

Its obvious to me that probably 90% of this site has minimal appeal for Bisping or what he represents in the UFC. Dana White said it best, Bisping always turns up to fight and has improved dramatically since his loss to Dan Henderson.

Hendo is the only fighter to have stopped him and judging by what Hendo has gone on to do since that fight should only lift Bisping's profile even more knowing that the only ko loss he has had is to one of the greatest of all time. His fight with Evans was a split decision loss, His fight against Wandy was controversial not to mention his fight with Sonnen who even Sonnen himself thought Bisping won the fight. Bisping's UFC record of 13-4 really is not too bad considering he has never hand picked an opponent or ducked anyone on short notice.

There are a few fighters in the UFC today who have, some of which are holding titles.

As for this top 10 talk, there is no top 10 in the UFC. Even Dana White holds no regard for rankings.
If Bisping is such a low tier fighter, then how did Chael Sonnen get his rematch with Silva after beating Brian Stann and narrowly escaping a decision to Bisping? If Bisping is not top level competition, then Chael Sonnen should never have got his rematch.

As for other challengers for Anderson Silva in the past, Thales Leites, Patrick Cote, Damien Maia - who did these guys beat to get their shot ?? ...

Cote - split decision over Ricardo Almeida got his shot at Silva after beating Kendal Grove. Where is Kendal grove now ??

Maia - UD against Dan Miller after getting ko'd by Nate Marquardt.

Thales Leites - Only beat Nate Marquardt due to the points system of illegal knees. Then Thales stops Drew McFedries to get his crack at the middleweight Gold.

Travis Lutter - Don't even get me started ....

I don't argue that Bisping is a low rated fighter. He's certainly top 10, and might even be top 5 in my book. Still, you've got to beat somebody in the top 10 for me to feel you earned a shot.

I hated all the title shots of those guys you mention, but those were due to circumstance. Cote and Maia got them due to injuries to Okami and Belfort and Lutter got his (but failed to make weight) because he won TUF.

The fact that these guys got undeserved title shots does not mean that Bisping should get one.

Again, I don't hate Bisping. He is right there at the top, but needs to beat a top fighter. I don't see how he jumps the Weidman-Boetsch winner because he beat Stann.

moob » Posted 2/24/07 2:39:00PM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by moob

Amongst the names he's beaten, I'd say Leben, Stann and Hamill stand out, but I feel its not as black and white as that, as he's done pretty well against the upper echelons which deserves credit IMO.

You've lost all credibility by saying he has a win over Hamill with a straight face.

I've just read your other post on the previous page, and you go on about my credibility?
Worst decision of all time, in your eyes perhaps and for your reasons.

Not gonna argue about this anymore- there are such strong prejudices on here against Bisping, it was predictable where this thread would end up.

Stann was/is rated as top ten by a number of mma sites, but no doubt they're wrong.

Wolfenstein » Posted 12/13/07 3:31:00AM

A lot of people are beginning to change their tune on him...the biggest reason I think is that he's really one hell of a promoter and pretty funny to boot--maybe a bit of a poor-mans's Chael Sonnen. Although I actually like his trash talk a little better because he's being himself, and Chael is playing a character.

He may not ever be a knockout artist, but he is a very entertaining fighter to watch, and despite not finishing--you look at his opponents afterwards and he does some pretty serious damage to their face.

Wolfenstein » Posted 12/13/07 3:31:00AM

Again, I don't hate Bisping. He is right there at the top, but needs to beat a top fighter. I don't see how he jumps the Weidman-Boetsch winner because he beat Stann.

I can tell you exactly how he leap frogs the Weidman vs Boetsch winner. Bisping is a star, and Weidman and Boetsch are not. They lack charisma and are unknown to most casual fight fans. I think you'd be looking at 150K-200K less PPV buys if you give it to the aforementioned winner before Bisping. If they were leap years ahead of Bisping in the rankings, well maybe the UFC would feel some sort of morale obligation--but they're not that far apart so the money matters more.

bigrand826 » Posted 4/29/11 7:01:00PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I can tell you exactly how he leap frogs the Weidman vs Boetsch winner. Bisping is a star, and Weidman and Boetsch are not. They lack charisma and are unknown to most casual fight fans. I think you'd be looking at 150K-200K less PPV buys if you give it to the aforementioned winner before Bisping. If they were leap years ahead of Bisping in the rankings, well maybe the UFC would feel some sort of morale obligation--but they're not that far apart so the money matters more.

I guess I should have clarified. Yeah, I could see that happening, but I would really disagree with it. I don't see how that is warranted from the sport perspective, but I understand that it does happen and could happen here. I just wouldn't agree with that choice.

ghandikush » Posted 7/12/11 3:30:00PM

Posted by moob

Posted by ghandikush

Silva beat franklin to hell twice, submitted and rocked Hendo in his prime, brutally knocked out prime Marquardt, knocked out Okami toward the end of his prime, finished Sonnen twice, brutally knocked out Forrest coming right off his title loss, flash knocked out Vitor....

Those are all pretty enduring names in the sport and feel free to tell me about Bispings brutal finish of Chainsaw McCarthy but I just dont think it compares. He beat ONE enduring name I can think of, ONE, and that was Hammil.......

Edit- MAYBE Brian Stann will endure, MAYBE

We're not talking about the legitamacy of those Silva has fought, although there is some relevance as there are a decent list of names you've omitted who have a significantly lower pedigree.

I only half ass read it I guess... For the record the MW division is much more stacked now then ever. Which almost automatically puts B and C level fighters out of discussion for a shot. Keep winning Bisping.

Cooler » Posted 6/7/10 4:11:00PM

Posted by moob

Posted by Cooler

Posted by moob

I've just read your other post on the previous page, and you go on about my credibility?
Worst decision of all time, in your eyes perhaps and for your reasons.

Not gonna argue about this anymore- there are such strong prejudices on here against Bisping, it was predictable where this thread would end up.

Stann was/is rated as top ten by a number of mma sites, but no doubt they're wrong.

A few sites, but who cares, Stann didn't beat anyone to deserve it.

And how is that not the worst decision? maybe Jung vs Garcia 1 might've been worse. You're the only one with a nationality bias if you can sit there and claim that is a legit win for Mikey. Nobody gives a fuck that mikey is British, again get over it. I don't even hate Bisping, he has grown on me a little but he is a pampered fighter thats for sure. If he actually ran the gauntlet at 185 and fought guys like Vitor, Belcher, Palhares, Weidman, you can bet he wouldn't have such a good record, I mean look at his record, it's mediocre.

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

You've got a point to an extent. However, it's always hard to look back and decide if a guy earned a shot.

The Top 10 and the upper levels of a division change constantly. Maia beat Sonnen, Quarry, MacDonald, Herman, Jensen, and Miller. Today, only one of those guys would be a top ten (Sonnen), but that is still more top ten wins than Bisping has (which is zero.)

Leites beat Pete Sell, Ryan Jensen, Nate Marquardt, and Drew McFedries. Marquardt is the best guy on that list but again, this record is more impressive than Bisping's.

Cote beat Scott Smith, Kendall Grove, Drew McFedries, and Ricardo Almeida. Almeida is probably his best win on here, but again, better than any win on Bisping's record.

The only one where you MAY have a point is with Travis Lutter but even then he beat Patrick Cote before he got a shot (and this was a special circumstance because of the TUF Comeback show.)

At MW Bisping has beaten Charles McCarthy, Jason Day, Chris Leben, Denis Kang, Dan Miller, Akiyama, Jorge River, Jason Miller, and now Brian Stann. I think the best wins on here are Leben and Stann (both stylistically favorable to Bisping.)

Dan Miller is a better win than everyone on Leites and Cote's list, except Marquardt, but even that was on a technicality. Under similar logic Hamill beat Jones. Brian Stann > Dan Miler > everyone else

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Bisping is very talented but fact of the matter is he is on a 1 fight win streak over a top 15 guy and has never in his career beaten a top 5 (or 10 imo) fighter. Star or not, he'd get wrecked by Anderson Silva and he hasn't earned the chance at it yet. Should he beat a top 5-10 guy in his next fight than maybe I'd side with him getting a shot.

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

Posted by Budgellism

Bisping is very talented but fact of the matter is he is on a 1 fight win streak over a top 15 guy and has never in his career beaten a top 5 (or 10 imo) fighter. Star or not, he'd get wrecked by Anderson Silva and he hasn't earned the chance at it yet. Should he beat a top 5-10 guy in his next fight than maybe I'd side with him getting a shot.

Agreed.

Anderson isn't going to be beat by a striker. Bisping is right up Anderson's alley.

Anderson via easy devasting KO

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Posted by Cooler

Chris Leben, not a top 10, never was, bisping jabbed and ran the whole night

Wasn't he ranked in the top ten prior to losing to Anderson Silva?

I could be wrong. I wish we still had that feature that let you look up rankings by date.

ghandikush » Posted 7/12/11 3:30:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Cooler

Chris Leben, not a top 10, never was, bisping jabbed and ran the whole night

Wasn't he ranked in the top ten prior to losing to Anderson Silva?

I could be wrong. I wish we still had that feature that let you look up rankings by date.

He was close to, if not, fighting for a number 1 contender. He beat Jorge Rivera, Jorge Santiago, and Patric Cote among others, 5-0 since Ultimate Fighter, and was fighting Anderson Silva on TV.

He was top 15 in the world, top 3-5 in the UFC.

By the time he fought Bisping he was probably number 13-15 in the UFC, guys like Swick, Lutter, and Quarry were all still active and ahead of him in rankings I believe.

Chael_Sonnen » Posted 5/25/10 12:40:00PM

He'll be a fan favorite the day Soccer is relevant in America.

He'll be a fan favorite the day Tennis is watched by more than 10 people.

I wonder if BigBadAl is jealous of Bisping's white teeth

For the love of The Queen, just let him fight Weidman ASAP!

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by Wallass

All I have to say is that I called him overrated for years but his last two fights have shut me up and although I may not cheer him that I no longer boo him and give him credit where credits due.

Much like Jones, I have no respect for them as people but they can fight. Jones is a beast and Bisping has had some good recent performances although he needs to fight and beat top 10 guys on the regular

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

[View Full Version of this Page]