MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Magalhaes 2.0 trades sloppy for bold   [View Full Version]
Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

Vinny Magalhaes is a world-class grappler. That much was obvious from his run through "The Ultimate Fighter" season 8 cast, where he submitted everyone he faced leading up to the final, including his former training partner at Team Quest, Krzysztof Soszynski.

Yet, while he was super-slick horizontally, he was shackled by his own subpar stand-up. It was a glaring deficiency, and one he simply couldn’t compensate for. We saw it when he was knocked out at the hands of Ryan Bader in the "TUF" finale that season, and again when Eliot Marshall didn’t compromise an inch at UFC 97. The Marshall fight was the shoulder-shrugging moment for the UFC. It served him his walking papers because his game wasn’t whole.

By now, the bulletin is an old one that’s been passed around and snickered over for years: This is MMA, not “The Singular Thing You’re Great At.” Disciplines have to come together in concert; otherwise, what shows up isn’t the medals earned in world submission grappling tournaments. What shows up instead are your world-class deficiencies. The UFC, after all, is made up of cold-blooded exploitists. When Magalhaes left the UFC, he had an overall professional MMA record that was sub-.500. Things needed to change.

So what did he do?

LINK

UFC 151: Never Forget

BossHog » Posted 5/13/12 9:37:00PM

He went to Jared's!

Aether » Posted 4/26/07 1:42:00AM

I haven't seen him since he left the UFC. I saw that he has some KOs including a headkick, so he must have improved significantly, there's no way that dude was headkicking anyone when he was on TUF.

tallica62 » Posted 6/22/07 2:18:00AM

I HATE STEVEN SINGER!

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Posted by Aether

I haven't seen him since he left the UFC. I saw that he has some KOs including a headkick, so he must have improved significantly, there's no way that dude was headkicking anyone when he was on TUF.

If I remember correctly he was losing that fight convincingly until that head kick. He's not going to wow anyone in the stand up department but he's definitely better than when we saw him on TUF. The Igor fight is a bad matchup imo but I guess we'll see.

Chael_Sonnen » Posted 5/25/10 12:40:00PM

Vinny is a man amongst little children

For the record Vin, Forrest needs you 10-fold more than I do, he has more holes in his game than a Jon Jones Drunken Mistress.

BossHog » Posted 5/13/12 9:37:00PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Vinny is a man amongst little children

For the record Vin, Forrest needs you 10-fold more than I do, he has more holes in his game than a Jon Jones Drunken Mistress.

Jon Jones gets into Vinny's guard in an MMA match...what happens?

aussiemma » Posted 1/27/12 10:34:00PM

Posted by Aether

from memory he did have sloppy stand up on tuf, but he did stun jules bruchez with a head kick before submitting him.....i think.

Svartorm » Posted 1/24/07 8:41:00PM

Only difference between Magalhaes from UFC and Magalhaes since his release is he's more comfortable standing. He actually engages a bit more, rather than standing on the outside and being scared to get hit. That said, he hasn't gotten better at all really. His offense is still all over the place and his offense is still too kick heavy, although he throws midkicks to bait the takedowns into his guard.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Manak » Posted 6/29/07 12:28:00PM

Posted by Svartorm

Only difference between Magalhaes from UFC and Magalhaes since his release is he's more comfortable standing. He actually engages a bit more, rather than standing on the outside and being scared to get hit. That said, he hasn't gotten better at all really. His offense is still all over the place and his offense is still too kick heavy, although he throws midkicks to bait the takedowns into his guard.

his standup should only be there to set up getting to the ground, look at what is happened to maia (he barely uses the ground now because he started developing a striking game), no one at lhw can hang with his BJJ so why try to stand when guys will fear your ground game. i understand you need to be well rounded but when you have such a clear adv over most guys why try to beat around the bush

[View Full Version of this Page]