MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Andrei Arlovski Didn't Mind The No Contest Since He Got To Soccer Kick Tim Sylvia   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2
FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Former UFC Heavyweight champ Andrei Arlovski was clearly on his way to beating rival Tim Sylvia in their fourth bout at One FC 5 last Friday but some confusion about the legality of kicks to a downed opponent cause the fight to be ruled a No Contest.

Arlovski's not upset though as he explained to AXS TV's Inside MMA (transcribed by MMA Mania):

"About my fight with Tim Sylvia, it was ruled a 'No Contest,' but, to be honest with you, I don't really care. For some reason, when the referee raised his arm up, it's like he gave me a signal to kick him. Even if he didn't raise his arm up, I would have done it anyway, because Tim said, before the fight, that he was gonna kick me if he had the opportunity. It's exactly what I told Travis Browne and Greg Jackson. I told them this, and I don't really care if they disqualify me or not. If I have an opportunity for a soccer kick, I'm going to do it, and I did.

LINK

DrivenDavies15 » Posted 8/10/11 1:23:00AM

Good fight for him. He showed a better chin and still has KO power. Always love watchin AA fight.

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

That's a great way of looking at it. Can you really blame him?

Manak » Posted 6/29/07 12:28:00PM

And I didnt mind watching it, shit was awesome

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

The guys got a good point

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

Andre is funny. Wish he was back in the Ufc

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Are we seriously applauding a fighter for saying that he would have willfully disobeyed the rules that he and his opponent agreed to??

I'm sure he's joking, but this kind of statement is unacceptable IMO.

Timmy and AA both signed on to fight under the same set of rules. Disobeying those rules intentionally would be unsportsmanlike and extremely dangerous.

Bythar » Posted 8/1/07 5:50:00AM

Posted by bjj1605

Are we seriously applauding a fighter for saying that he would have willfully disobeyed the rules that he and his opponent agreed to??

Timmy and AA both signed on to fight under the same set of rules. Disobeying those rules intentionally would be unsportsmanlike and extremely dangerous.

I agree with you if they did break the rules intentionally. However, the One FC soccer kick rules looked to be extremely vague to say the least, to a point where they abolished their convoluted system in favour of the pride soccer kick rules.

Who knows if he wilfully disobeyed anything? Maybe he's just being an idiot here.

Cooler » Posted 6/7/10 4:11:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

Yes I am applauding it, the open attack rule was fail from the start, either allow it or don't. I see exactly what Andrei was saying, why the fuck would it matter when you soccer kick someone when the ref wont even give you the signal, it looked the exact same as the Baroni soccer kick TKO. There's a reason they just shitcanned that stupid rule and stuck with a side.

Posted by bjj1605

Surely he's not, the only joking part was how he said he isn't upset about getting a NC, surely he wanted that beautiful KO to stand like the other soccer kick finish by Baroni

Posted by bjj1605

When is a soccer kick not dangerous if your concern is safety, if you have a problem with soccer kicks I don't think you should watch One FC anymore since they are going to Pride rules.

Lucas » Posted 2/5/07 9:28:00AM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by bjj1605

Yes I am applauding it, the open attack rule was fail from the start, either allow it or don't. I see exactly what Andrei was saying, why the fuck would it matter when you soccer kick someone when the ref wont even give you the signal, it looked the exact same as the Baroni soccer kick TKO. There's a reason they just shitcanned that stupid rule and stuck with a side.

Posted by bjj1605

Surely he's not, the only joking part was how he said he isn't upset about getting a NC, surely he wanted that beautiful KO to stand like the other soccer kick finish by Baroni

Posted by bjj1605

When is a soccer kick not dangerous if your concern is safety, if you have a problem with soccer kicks I don't think you should watch One FC anymore since they are going to Pride rules.

I agree with what BJJ1605 is saying it's not that i have a problem with soccer kicks if it is clear soccer kicks are allowed and both fighters are aware of this then fine. But if you get soccer kicked when your not expecting it then i do think it is far more dangerous because your not giving the grounded fighter an opportuninty to intelligently defend themself because he's not prepared for it. If you got Knocked to the ground and new you could be soccer kicked you would automatically move into a more defensive position.

scoozna » Posted 1/25/07 12:53:00PM

AA's comment was priceless.
I'mma chalk this one up to taking the DQ for the advancement of the sport. That justification will allow me to sleep peacefully at night.

lll-lll » Posted 7/13/07 10:19:00AM

THat is some funny stuff!

jlock003 » Posted 9/18/07 5:33:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

Arlovski said to his trainer and teammate before the fight, "I don't care if it's legal or not, if I get a chance to soccer kick him I will because he said he would do it to me." I think you're right. I feel like it's unsportsmanlike of both guys, but obviously only one of them had the opportunity to implement their lack of sportsmanship. I would be surprised if some of the people condoning this weren't on forums in the past complaining about guys pushing or shoulder bumping at weigh-ins. I like AA and I realize it's a fight, but UFC, Bellator, or ONE FC, fighters in today's world of mma have to be professional athletes and abide by regulation in order for the sport to grow.

All that being said, the rule was absolutely terrible and I'm glad they changed it. If soccer kicks are allowed then so be it, but ref's are going to have to be way more attentive and protect fighters. That soccer kick to Ruerta a few months ago was completely legal and yet should have never happened. The ensuing problem will obviously be early stoppage arguments, but fighter safety has to be paramount at all times. Bas Rutten actually talked a little bit about it on inside mma this week and made a few good points. He mentioned that Ruerta kick and said he felt like at the moment the fighter is posted on all fours on the ground and clearly unable to block the kick that the ref should step in and stop the fight. I agree.

frizzzlecake » Posted 5/25/12 8:57:00PM

AA for UFC! It's a stupid rule I don't blame AA not waiting for the ref to raise his arm because the rule was just stupid. Why don't they make a rule for headkicks that the ref has to signal for guys can better defend themselves? because it's a horrible rule that's why.

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

I think some people mis-read what I wrote.

I'm not against soccer kicks. I agree that the prior ONE FC rule was stupid. I like that they've moved to full Pride rules.

The problem I have is with what AA said. He said " I told them this, and I don't really care if they disqualify me or not. If I have an opportunity for a soccer kick, I'm going to do it, and I did."

I take that to mean 'I don't care if its against the rules or not, I'm going to do it anyway.'

I think thats obviously unsportsmanlike. And THATS why its dangerous, not because its a soccer kick. The only reason everyone is giving him a pass on it is because everyone likes AA and no one likes Timmy. I'm in the same boat. I've been an AA fan since I started watching this sport. That doesn't excuse this statement.

Pages: [1] 2

[View Full Version of this Page]