MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Jon Jones was going to pay UFC 151 fighters salaries but chose not to after Twitter trash talk   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Shawn91111 » Posted 9/21/07 2:56:00AM

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) was all set to blow the roof off the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, tonight (Sat., Sept. 1, 2012) with its UFC 151: "Jones vs. Henderson" event headlined by Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones defending his title against Dan Henderson.

That was until about nine days ago when word trickled out that "Hendo" injured his knee and would be pulling out of the fight. This triggered a chain of events that have changed the way mixed martial arts (MMA) fans feel about the biggest fight promotion in the world.

Jones, already a polarizing figure, turned down a short notice replacement bout against Chael Sonnen, presumably after being told by an angry UFC President Dana White that if he did so, the entire event would be cancelled just over one week before it was scheduled to occur.

Still, Jones said no and MMA fans had their Labor Day weekend freed up from any major show.

The fallout has been nasty. White and the UFC embarked on what was, essentially, a smear campaign, burying "Bones" at every turn. They issued press releases with quotes like, "UFC 151 will always be the event remembered as the one Jon Jones and Greg Jackson MURDERED."

LINK

I call bullshit, he never was going to do it imo. Even if it's true that he was going to do it until the Twitter talk, that's just childish. Jones has a lot of growing up to do.

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Honestly, I don't believe he would actually pay them their fees. I believe he said he would.

LuckyCharms » Posted 3/28/11 6:57:00PM

Totally BS.

That is like when I was a Kid and my older sister said "To bad I was going to let you have the TV but since you were mean to me, you're not getting it now" .

BS to Maximum !!!!

backalley101 » Posted 7/19/07 10:22:00PM

He is really becoming the most hated man MMA

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

This whole thing just won't die.

Cooler » Posted 6/7/10 4:11:00PM

Shawn I love how you're always on top of the Jon Jones doing d-bag things.

I now make sure that I only read Jones threads from you

papercut » Posted 3/3/07 4:18:00PM

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

Suuuuuure you were.

Come on Jones. Just keep quiet.

infestructure » Posted 1/18/12 9:29:00PM

Posted by LuckyCharms

Totally BS.

That is like when I was a Kid and my older sister said "To bad I was going to let you have the TV but since you were mean to me, you're not getting it now" .

BS to Maximum !!!!

Exactly this. Jones immaturity level is over 9000. No PR team in the world could save him from himself.

TeamDEY » Posted 2/1/11 3:41:00PM

This is such B.S. He was never going to give out a cent.

submissionartist1 » Posted 5/27/07 10:24:00PM

IMO this is a B.S. try to save my image statement. Not worth anymore of my time

Posted by Cooler

Shawn I love how you're always on top of the Jon Jones doing d-bag things.

I now make sure that I only read Jones threads from you

Only news worthy thing in the last month

pmoney » Posted 10/13/10 10:40:00PM

I'm sure if he would have announced those intentions after declining the Sonnen fight there wouldn't have been a backlash. If Dana White would have came out and said, "UFC 151 is cancelled, we'll refund the fans. And oh yeah JON JONES stepped up and paid our fighters because we wouldn't and he knows how hard it is monetarily when you are coming up." Then he would look a lot better than he did.

He should've just taken the fight though, then he wouldn't be in this mess and he'd be making money too.

postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

If the kid would just shut his mouth he would be fine yeah ppl would be butt hurt he didnt take the fight but that goes away when 152 is done. Malki Kawa is the worst manager.

Pages: [1] 2 3

[View Full Version of this Page]