MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
Coach Mike Winkeljohn Suggests Chael Sonnen Might Have Been Training for Jon Jones Bout   [View Full Version]
postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

Link

In the fallout of UFC 151's cancellation, it isn't just fans or media who've engaged in speculation about what really happened or who is truly to blame.

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones' striking coach, Mike Winkeljohn, told Bloody Elbow Sunday he believes UFC middleweight turned light heavyweight Chael Sonnen could have been training all along to fill in for an injured Dan Henderson.

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

That's absolute bullshit imo. And a weak attempt to try and sway the public's opinion about Chael and Jones.

There is absolutely no way for Chael to have known that hendo would get injured.

I mean come on . This is coming from one of JONES' coaches

Jones already made an "apology" leave it at that already

prozacnation1978 » Posted 7/5/07 11:42:00PM

Sad that Jackson camp is now saying sonnen knew about the injury

Seems to me jackson camp is pretty political

40ouncetofreedom » Posted 3/29/09 4:31:00PM

Interesting... well Hendos' injury was known about for awhile,Atleast during the Rousey fight Dana talked to Dan about it then and was trying to push through it,I'm not one to put on a tin foil hat and get into conspiracy theories,Regardless if Sonnen did have any inside scoop,Its not anywhere close to a full a camp for someone as dominant as Jones,So just focus on Vitor and get on with it.As everything in life time passes and life goes on.

FlashyG » Posted 2/13/08 10:33:00AM

I'm pretty sure both Sonnen and Henderson fight out of Team Quest gyms, they may be in different states and cities, but its not outrageous that the 2 gyms would communicate.

Still a weak excuse, but I don't think its necessarily untrue.

jae_1833 » Posted 7/19/07 11:27:00AM

WHO CARES!! Your boy is the champ and should have stepped up......simple as that!

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

A) Conspiracy theories aren't going to make your boy look any better.

B) It still doesn't make sense to turn down the fight. Chael Sonnen is a natural MW. Jon Jones is supposed to be one of the top P4P fighters in the sport. Jones should be confident that he can beat Chael Sonnen. Especially considering he had a full camp training for an opponent with similar skills.

deck15 » Posted 12/2/08 11:45:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

A) Conspiracy theories aren't going to make your boy look any better.

B) It still doesn't make sense to turn down the fight. Chael Sonnen is a natural MW. Jon Jones is supposed to be one of the top P4P fighters in the sport. Jones should be confident that he can beat Chael Sonnen. Especially considering he had a full camp training for an opponent with similar skills.

Couldn't have put it any better. I've never liked this camp or their tactics.

fonduktoe » Posted 1/4/08 6:33:00PM

dont care if he was training for sasquatch...he was willing to fight and jones "where is my purse?" bones was unwilling to step uo

State_Champ » Posted 6/11/07 4:16:00PM

I think we can agree that people are now .

Let's move on.

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Posted by State_Champ

I think we can agree that people are now .

Let's move on.

I don't think we are beating a dead hose.

This is a NEW story. People are responding to Winkeljohn's statements rather than the story itself.

postman » Posted 6/23/07 7:57:00PM

I'm suprised so many ppl think its Jon Jones duty to go above and beyond for Dand White and Zuffa. Just because others have in the past doesn't mean he is required or should be expected to. He signed a contract to fight Dan Henderson when dan pulled out of the fight he was offered another fight he chose not to take it. It is in no way his fault the show was canned. I wanted to buy that card as I have limited myself to 4 a year now but the undercard was so weak I wasn't buying it anyway. I'm not a Jon Jones fan at all I can't stand the guy, but it would be foolish of me to expect anything out of a guy whos main motivation is money.

submissionartist1 » Posted 5/27/07 10:24:00PM

If your not training to face the champ you aint training hard enough... plus chael was at his girlfriends fathers who had a stroke

Franklinfan47 » Posted 5/20/07 4:03:00PM

[View Full Version of this Page]