MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
A guide to playing a complex blame game in the wake of UFC 151's cancellation   [View Full Version]
grappler0000 » Posted 3/24/07 5:29:00PM

First it was an unfortunate situation, then a terrible one. Now it's just plain weird.

To recap: Dan Henderson gets hurt and can't fight Jon Jones at UFC 151. Jones won't accept a fight with Chael Sonnen as a replacement, which led UFC President Dana White to shift Jones into a fight with Lyoto Machida at UFC 152 and cancel UFC 151 altogether, an executive decision for which White blamed not only Jones but also his trainer, Greg Jackson. But then, hold on, Machida won't take that fight after all, so now it's middleweight Vitor Belfort stepping up a division to fight Jones in the title fight that fans have been begging for since never.

If you're not confused yet, you probably should be. I know I am. I'm confused about how Jones and Jackson came to be blamed for what was ultimately the UFC's decision. I'm confused about how Jones and Jackson couldn't see the upside of taking the fight in the first place. I'm confused about what must be going through Machida's mind to make him think he's in a position to pick and choose. I'm really confused as to how Belfort got the offer at all, unless the UFC was calling every fighter in the company directory and doing it alphabetically by last name.

Mostly I'm confused about what it all means, not just for Jones and Jackson and Sonnen and Machida, but also for the UFC and MMA in general. How did we get to a point where a 41-year-old man's injured knee could set off a chain of events that would derail an entire event, leaving both fans and undercard fighters with nothing to do and nowhere to go on what was supposed to be a big Saturday night? Who's to blame for all this? And, in the rush to point fingers, how do we know we're pointing them in the right direction?

Full Story

george112 » Posted 1/24/07 7:00:00PM

Pretty good read.

Sums it up nicely. But I still dont like Jones or Dana

infestructure » Posted 1/18/12 9:29:00PM

Who's to blame for all this? And, in the rush to point fingers, how do we know we're pointing them in the right direction?

If we put this into a pie chart, I would place 5% blame on Hendo, 20% blame Jones, 20% Greg Jackson and 50% Dana White. Machida can get 5% for playing it safe too.

However, in terms of losing face, Jon Joneses face has slid off and landed on the floor of a butchery, Greg Jackson lost his a long time ago, and Hendo and Machida come off scot free!
Dana will not come out of this unscathed, especially financially. Like you said, no one ever has clamoured to see JJ/Belfort.
Why did they NEED to have someone challenge Jones anyway? Especially a MW, Why can't they wait for a LHW to step up?

Dana was the one to make the decision to scrap the card, but imo Jones/Jackson didn't leave him much choice, that card would have sucked without a worthy main event.

Dberntson » Posted 6/16/09 12:09:00PM

The only people who seem to be benefitting from this are those of us who bought UFC FX5 tickets in Minneapolis. That card has gotten four good fights so far from this. Keep the fights coming. I took the day off of work, so I can get there as early as needed.

telnights » Posted 6/21/07 4:17:00PM

Its sad how fast people will lay blame without ever knowing the full story or even caring to know.

kopower » Posted 7/3/07 12:31:00AM

Posted by Dberntson

The only people who seem to be benefitting from this are those of us who bought UFC FX5 tickets in Minneapolis. That card has gotten four good fights so far from this. Keep the fights coming. I took the day off of work, so I can get there as early as needed.

I know I'm not complaining.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Bubbles » Posted 10/20/09 3:33:00PM

everyone keeps forgetting that Koscheck vs Ellenberger was the original co-main event before Koscheck pulled out due to some injury. All of the other top WWs were tied up (GSP/Condit, Rory/Penn, Kampmann/Hendricks, Fitch/Silva, Diaz "retired", Story/Maia) and he fought Sanchez earlier this year. Alves is the only other option, but I have no idea if he was asked or not to replace Koscheck. So Heiron stepped in.

Had he not gotten injured and these recent events took place, do you think Koscheck vs Ellenberger is PPV main event worthy to save the card? This fight is a lot stronger than Ellenberger/Heiron.

also to note, I don't think this was a weak card at all. Sure it lacked "names" but the PPV portion would have been great

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

JLS1980 » Posted 6/6/12 1:54:00PM

Posted by Bubbles

everyone keeps forgetting that Koscheck vs Ellenberger was the original co-main event before Koscheck pulled out due to some injury. All of the other top WWs were tied up (GSP/Condit, Rory/Penn, Kampmann/Hendricks, Fitch/Silva, Diaz "retired", Story/Maia) and he fought Sanchez earlier this year. Alves is the only other option, but I have no idea if he was asked or not to replace Koscheck. So Heiron stepped in.

Had he not gotten injured and these recent events took place, do you think Koscheck vs Ellenberger is PPV main event worthy to save the card? This fight is a lot stronger than Ellenberger/Heiron.

also to note, I don't think this was a weak card at all. Sure it lacked "names" but the PPV portion would have been great

I agree with you Bubbles. This card was lacking names but sometimes those are the best events. And sure Ellenberger vs. Heiron shouldn't have been moved to the main event.
Maybe they could have found 1 fight off the original UFC 152 card and moved it up to the original UFC 151 card that ended up getting completely scratched.
Maybe Mighty Mouse and Benavidez if they were ready could have salvaged the card. Or just any other 2 fighters that were ready and just move every match up a notch.
The PPV numbers would've been down obviously. But as a whole I think more folks would've rather have seen this event take place. There would have been complaints either way but that's probably the most reasonable thing they could've done. IMO. Who knows this could've been one of the better events, not name wise but just good scraps. Now we'll never know.

[View Full Version of this Page]