MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > Community > MMA News Share Forum
CRAZINESS! Lyoto Machida Turns Down Title Shot, Jon Jones To Face Vitor Belfort At UFC 152   [View Full Version]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 >>
Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Jon Jones will not be facing Lyoto Machida at UFC 152 after all.

Instead, Vitor Belfort will fight Jones for the UFC light heavyweight title on Sept. 22 in Toronto. UFC president Dana White confirmed the change late Thursday night.

According to White, Machida turned down the title shot on Thursday. Belfort volunteered to fight Jones on one month's notice and was granted the title shot by the promotion.

LINK

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Didn't see this one coming. WAR BELFORT! As a MMA fan these are the days I live for. Talk about a rollercoaster!

Budgellism » Posted 4/8/07 11:45:00AM

Wow, I'm shocked.

MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

WOW!!!!!!!!

Just WOW!!!!!!

What a crazy day. I wasn't expecting Belfort at all. Machida must have an injury of some sort, or he's crazy.

Weidman publicly offered to fight Bones also, he seems like he would be nearer the front of the queue than Belfort ?

Maybe Jones turned that fight down too......

FastKnockout » Posted 9/24/10 8:39:00PM

Posted by MMAcca

WOW!!!!!!!!

Just WOW!!!!!!

What a crazy day. I wasn't expecting Belfort at all. Machida must have an injury of some sort, or he's crazy.

Weidman publicly offered to fight Bones also, he seems like he would be nearer the front of the queue than Belfort ?

Belfort is more marketable at LHW than Weidman being a former champion and all. That's what I'm guessing.

lohmann » Posted 6/1/07 8:17:00AM

Posted by MMAcca

His last chance on a month's notice maybe?

My favorite fighter next month is going to be Vitor Belfort. The Belfort train starts tonight. I hope it doesn't crash and burn before it derails the Bones Bentley.

TeamDEY » Posted 2/1/11 3:41:00PM

OMG... What is going on????? I just don't understand fighters anymore. This is absolutely straight ridiculousness. This is why I have always loved Wanderlei Silva and Chuck Liddell. Neither guy has ever cared about losing. Instead they always wanted to put on a good show for the fans. All of these fighters declining fights is beyond ridiculousness. Oh well. Go Vitor!

Manak » Posted 6/29/07 12:28:00PM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by MMAcca

His last chance on a month's notice maybe?

My favorite fighter next month is going to be Vitor Belfort. The Belfort train starts tonight. I hope it doesn't crash and burn before it derails the Bones Bentley.

wait i thought bones already derailed the bentley... why the hell did machida turn down the fight. either way

WAR VITOR

tcunningham » Posted 9/30/09 9:33:00PM

i would like to hear from machida now.

either way, i'm glad belfort came through. its not surprising, fighting for a title under these circumstances doesnt happen very often, plus it just shows that vitor is fighter though and through. i like this matchup because of the lethality in vitor's hands. i know theres alot of people pissed at jones right now, including myself, but i will probably pick jones by some sort of stoppage.

Twenty20Dollars » Posted 6/21/07 4:27:00PM

Idk why they would schedule Jones/Machida a month from now. I know Jones has been training, but Machida just came off a fight.

And 152 already had a pretty good main event/co-main event.

Just freaking scrap Jones altogether until you can put in Machida or Shogun for good.

Instead of just tossing guys in randomly for a title shot.

Geez, I think I need a break from all this.

MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by MMAcca

WOW!!!!!!!!

Just WOW!!!!!!

Belfort is more marketable at LHW than Weidman being a former champion and all. That's what I'm guessing.

You're probably right there.

I would like to see the UFC do what Twenty20 has just said and wait until they can get Jones a solid opponent and hold him back for another event until it's all sorted.

lohmann » Posted 6/1/07 8:17:00AM

Posted by MMAcca

I would like to see the UFC do what Twenty20 has just said and wait until they can get Jones a solid opponent and hold him back for another event until it's all sorted.

Jones fights for money. He has admitted that a lot lately. He probably wants to fight in three weeks so he can make bank.

Manak » Posted 6/29/07 12:28:00PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by MMAcca

WOW!!!!!!!!

Just WOW!!!!!!

You're probably right there.

but then again a lot of ppl are complaining about WW, MW & HW being held up too. UFC needs to get their champs more active, more excitement in title fights

DrivenDavies15 » Posted 8/10/11 1:23:00AM

When was the last time Belfort faught at 205? 2007? Wow and he was preparing for a middleweight fight in October? He should bulk up no problem

I do actually like this fight though just because it's someone new for Jones to fight and Vitor has looked like an animal lately.

I wonder who they'll put against Belcher in Brazil... I hope it's Weidman but that seems unlikely for a Brazil event.

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

What is going on?
This just keeps getting weirder and weirder

WAR BELFORT

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 >>

[View Full Version of this Page]