MMAPlayground.com

Forum Index > MMA General > UFC Forum
Is Sonnen and Jones the best heel/face flip in MMA history?   [View Full Version]
ncordless » Posted 4/8/07 11:09:00PM

Jones had been fading as a face for the last year or so, and Sonnen's charisma have made him a strange anti-hero in the eyes of many. Over the last couple weeks, Jones and Sonnen began going at each other on twitter, and Jones has given a string of trollish interviews.

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

My guess is that Jones has made himself a bigger draw than ever as the fighter everyone hates, a role he seems much better at playing.

What other fan favorite to bad guy or vis versa moves have happened in MMA, and how does this one compare?

prophecy033 » Posted 7/4/07 4:41:00AM

It a very odd change but one ill welcome after this news. Chael was willing to.take the greater risk to save this card and jump right into a title fight but Jones was unwilling to do the same. He was already done with camp and ready to go but be chose to say no. He's gonna have to live with the backlash from it while people praise Chael for his "whoever,whenever" attitude. Those are the facts

Edit: The only time I've flipped my like/dislike was the TUF season that Tito and Shamrock were coaches. I hated Tori and sorta liked Ken but after watching Tito and Ken coach I had so much more respect for Tito but lost all for Ken. Probably editing but it is what it is

Poor_Franklin » Posted 6/7/11 4:52:00AM

get out of my head!!!!!!!!

yes it's the best. can't think of a bigger switch

JLS1980 » Posted 6/6/12 1:54:00PM

Can we start a least favorite top 10?
Jones was fighting for least favorite and now he topped it. My least favorite. 2nd Andee.
So we are totally throwing 151 out the window.
Screwed all the under cards including my friend (Cruickshank).
I hope Machida gives him the business.

backalley101 » Posted 7/19/07 10:22:00PM

One thing I can say about American Gangster. He would fight a polar bear in a seal skin suit

infestructure » Posted 1/18/12 9:29:00PM

I can see Jon Jones' career going down the gurgler from here. Dana White really holds a grudge (when it suits him).
I can see Dana stripping the title and making him go to HW early, and giving him Cain Velasquez as his first fight.
Probably not, but I can dream, can't I?

bjj1605 » Posted 10/11/07 4:18:00PM

Damn you Chael Sonnen....

Your willingness to fight Jon Jones on 8 days notice and your subsequently hilarious comments about his cowardly decision to opt out (champion by forfeit...ect.) are starting to win me over again.

I never thought I would like you again. But you're getting there.

At the very least, I know who I'll root for if he ever does fight Bones.

And yes, this is the greatest heel/face flip in combat sports history (not counting WWE).

MMAcca » Posted 4/30/07 3:11:00PM

Bones Vs CM Punk to headline Wrestlemania in 2013

UFC_Fanatic » Posted 10/2/08 10:22:00AM

Posted by JLS1980

Can we start a least favorite top 10?
Jones was fighting for least favorite and now he topped it. My least favorite. 2nd Andee.
So we are totally throwing 151 out the window.
Screwed all the under cards including my friend (Cruickshank).
I hope Machida gives him the business.

You like Jones less than Bisping????? Never thought I'd see the day when an American MMA fan hated somebody more than Bisping. There's a glitch in the matrix! This worlds not real!

fonduktoe » Posted 1/4/08 6:33:00PM

the first man to bust up baby-bitch jones gets my love forever.

lohmann » Posted 6/1/07 8:17:00AM

Didn't the WWF work a similar angle during The Attitude Era? Except the corporate side represented a stable of heels while a lone crusader fighting THE MAN became the greatest face in professional wrestling history.

Jon Jones needs to take lessons.

DancingDoll » Posted 9/23/11 8:44:00PM

Posted by infestructure

Dana White really holds a grudge (when it suits him).

I think Dana's fury will eventually melt away once the PPV potential for Jones v Sonnen in 2013 starts rolling.

UFC knows that Chael brings in the cash and nobody knows how to market and build up a fight better than he can. They would love another Silva v Sonnen II style pay-out. This makes sense as laying the groundwork for a bigger showdown next year with Jones.

The strategic twitter trash talking started things rumbling, but this whole 151-crisis is like the perfect Pearl Harbour incident to start the full war between Jones and Sonnen and get fans invested in wanting to see that fight.

Dana may never like Jones again, but he'd be crazy not exploit the situation for what its worth over the next year.

[View Full Version of this Page]